My Daughter Had An Emotional Breakdown

Hi everyone,

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all their wonderful input and advice. Everyone here on this board has been so supportive when I know all of you are dealing with your own pain.

I finally got my daughter's insurance co. to approve a two week stay at the rehabilitation hospital so we are awaiting on when they will have a bed available. I am really hoping this will be the beginning of a turn around for her. I think if the doctors see what she goes through each day they will understand it more and I am hoping the phsycial therapy will help to make her stronger.

Yesterday, I think everything finally came to head for her. Her doctor switched her antidepressant from Cymbalta to Wellbutrin and I don't know if it was the new medication, or if she just got to the point where she felt she couldn't deal with all of this anymore, but she broke down and cried uncontrollably, saying she couldn't live like this anymore. AFter a few hours of this she then started to throw up and was so exhausted she pretty much collapsed in bed. Today she seems a little better, and interestingly enough I didn't give her any of her meds yesterday or today, so I am wondering if the effects of her meds aren't contributing to her emotional well being.

Anyway, just wanted to give everyone an update and hopefully things will start to improve soon.

Fingers crossed that new opportunities will be available to your daughter soon.

I know you know, but do be very careful with SSRIs in terms of skipping a dose. These are serious meds and if you do believe they are contributing negatively to your daughter's situation, you should find a doctor who is willing to help her wean off of them. Under no circumstances can you go cold turkey with any of the brain meds.

Good luck finding answers and options that work for your daughter.

So sorry your daughter is going through a rough time with this. It is by no means easy...made more difficult I know by having to switch meds, etc. I do agree with EarthMother - you don't want to stop any of those meds cold turkey. And also, I have had reactions just like your daughter had to a new medication (needless to say, I never took that one again!). Crying, not wanting to be around anyone, etc. Very unlike me. Make sure you watch her closely and talk with her doctor about this if you're noticing a big change like that. It's pretty common to have emotional reactions to those types of meds. It is scary to see/go through. Just keep talking with her to see how she's feeling, and once you wean her off the medication, you should be able to tell a difference if that's what was causing her to be emotional. Take anyone and give them POTS though, and teenage hormones...and being emotional is kind of a "normal" part of going through this. You just want to be sure if it was the meds or if this is truly how she is feeling. She will go through times when she feels like she cannot deal with this, wants her "old life" back, etc. and waves of that are I think something that anyone would go through when dealing with this. Just keep an eye on her, keep talking to her so you know if she is feeling more like herself/just going through a tough time, or if you think it's the medication. It might not be any coincidence that she has calmed down since not having the meds...again, something to talk to the doctor about.

I hope you're holding up okay with all of this...it's hard on everyone. Please PM me if you need anything. I did get an email from you and have a draft going writing back (it's a bit long...).

Chrissy

Hi Desperate Mom,

My heart sunk when I read the subject of your post. I pray that a bed becomes available soon and that the doctors and rehab therapists are able to help your daughter start to get back on her feet again. You are a wonderful mom and remind me of my own mother, who has taken me to countless doctors and tests and loving takes care of me and will never let me give up! Trust me, even if she can't express it, your daughter knows how much you love her and appreciates that you will not stop fighting for her even when she herself is too weak to fight.

I want to reinforce what others have said about the meds. Those types of medications are dangerous if you stop them without tappering them. If she is not having a positive response to the new Wellbutrin (as I'm sure you know, it takes 6-8 weeks for these medications to have positive effects), perhaps now is not the best time to change to a medication like that. Was she tolerating the Cymbalta ok, even if she was not getting the benefit from it that the doctor was hoping for? Perhaps you should talk with him about that. It sounds like her body is very weak right now and likely to be unable to tolerate anything. Starting a new medication like Wellbutrin can be very rough for anyone and might go better if you attempt it again once her body is a little bit physically stronger and more stable.

That being said, I just wanted to also say that I hope her healthcare providers recognize that her depression is very understable, and that her outlook will likely improve on its own if she can get feeling a little better. I know that when I have rare days of decreased symptoms, I am amazed at how big of a difference it makes on my outlook and motivation to keep fighting the dysautonomia and find a way to make all of my days a little better.

You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted and how she is doing.

~ Broken_Shell :rolleyes:

I think there is a really strong chance that the breakdown is related to the med change. Any change in SSRIs can take even up to a couple of months to get adjusted to. But I'm very glad that your daughter is getting admitted and hope that will help get you some answers.

Hope your daughter and you get some relief and soon.

But I agree.. as a therapist I have seen pts fall into "discontinuation syndrome" from an antidepressant being stopped. They have CRASHED so badly.. some even became suidical.

So.. take it easy.. and be real careful with antidepressants..esp from one to the other. Wellbutrin can get people manicky at times. some just react differently and this is different med than the other SSRIs.

Let us know.. you have our hearts and prayers

Warmly Jan

Hi Desperate Mom,

Everyone here already gave great info about changing meds and SSRI's, but I wanted to let you know you and your daughter are being prayed for. I think in many ways it's as hard or harder for loved ones to watch their family member suffer. I'll pray that your daughter finds the right treatment plan, and gets a bed soon.

Keep hoping and fighting.

Many thanks to everyone who gave such sound advise. I just found out today that she will be admitted into the hospital next week. Our insurance approved a two week stay, which I know is just the tip of the iceburg, but I am not complaining. I can't imagine that the insurance company would deny her if she needs to stay longer. But anyway, as far as the antidepressants go she did wean off the Cymbalta for two weeks before starting the Wellbutrin. When she started the Wellbutrin she started on 300 mg. per day which I thought was quite high, but she only took it once. I haven't given her any of her meds in the past three days. I think she needs a break from it all. I think that everything just came to a head for her that day and she couldn't handle trying to be strong. She tends to keep things to herself and I think it was just finally too much. I spoke to her psychiatrist today and he agreed to give the meds a break, especially since she will be going into the hospital next week. In addition to the antidepressants she was also on Busiprone which is an anxiety med, topomax, altenenol and minocycline. So everything is stopped for now and I will see how she does. She hasn't had any more emotional breakdowns, but I haven't seen any difference in her symptoms.

Ayway, wanted to say thank you to all of you for all the kind words and wonderful advise.

Guest tearose

I hope the time will pass quickly and that the treatment in the hospital will turn things around.

You are a wonderful mom. Try to replenish yourself while she is away. Do not allow yourself to get depleted.

best regards,

tearose

You and your precious daughter are in my thoughts and prayers. I completely understand the desperation felt by a loving Mom. And I totally agree with what thankful said about the loved ones hurting as bad as the one with the illness. But just know that you have our support anytime....

Hoping for some beneficial treatment for your loved one.

Hang in there yourself and come here often for support.

Keep us updated, we care......

Susan

I'm glad she has a loving mom like you in her corner.

Sounds like she got some heavy feelings out. That's probably a good thing.

Check all her medication possible side-effects, just in case though. Some meds can cause suicidal thoughts, like certain Anti-Epileptic Drugs (AEDs) that are also prescribed for Migraine headaches.

sorry if i am getting too personal, but why is she being hospitalized? just for POTS? what is a rehab unit going to do for POTS? i hope you both find the strength and support to get thru such tough times,

Radha

Hi

The reason for the hospitalization is to do physical therapy because she is so deconditioned. She will also receive pain management therapy and psychologicl counseling. She also will be monitored 24/7. To be quite honest, if this doesn't help her I don't know what we will do. I am really hoping and praying that this will be the thing to start to turn things around for her. I know it's not going to be a cure all, but I hope that it will be beneficial to her and help her to get on the road to recovery.