Please Think Good Thoughts For My Stepdad

MightyMouse

As many of you know, my first stepdad, Pat, has been battling melanoma, a mean, mean beast of cancer for more than 15 years. Pat and his wife Irene are on their way to NYC from NC (driving) to have another surgery at Memorial Sloane Kettering Cancer Hospital in NY tomorrow at 4:15pm. On his scans from Friday they found multiple nodules in his left lung which they believe to be yet another recurrence of Melanoma, which he has been battling for 15 years. He's already missing the lower portion of his right lung from the same thing. If I am difficult to reach this week or slow to respond to posts, please know that I'm probably making visits to and from NYC. I ask that you please keep him in your thoughts--this is the first time he's sounded a bit nervous and down.

It's very bad news on this end. They took out some very large tumors, but there were many that they decided to leave, and they feel it's spread other places as well. There is no treatment for his type of melanoma other than surgery. This is just awful--he's not even 60 yet. Teri comes home tomorrow and I should know more then. I don't have a clue how long they even think he can hold on--part of me thinks he knew b/c yesterday's call was different from previous ones. Okay... I have to call and wake Teri up now, and it is doubly bad b/c it's her birthday. Oy.

Nina

I've been able to talk to him a few times but b/c I've had bronchitis all week I've not been able to see him, which is killing me. He did get discharged yesterday and is now staying with relatives about 45 minutes north of NYC. Teri and I hope to get up there tomorrow. I just want to hug him; he knows I love him and there aren't any words I've yet to say - He knows that he is my Dad to me. (he was with us from the time I was 3 until my teen years when he and my mom split up--but he's always been there for me).

Nina

They are doing some genetic testing on the tumors and we'll get results in 3 weeks--they will also do a repeat CAT scan to see if there are changes (gives a sense of how rapidly the cells are growing)-- there is a *remote* possibility that if it fits one of the two profiles they're *hoping for* that the cancer might respond to a type of chemo. Keeping up the hope as best I can and as best they can. Lots of love and many, many thanks to all of you who are thinking of us. Nina

• 2 weeks later...