How Wonderful....

So I went into my doctors office today (electrophysiologist) because my gastroparesis has been a nightmare lately (probably mostly from stress). I was unable to get ahold of my GI doc because he was "busy" so I called my EP and told him I had been having difficulty with my stomach, having a hard time eating, and also keeping in fluids.....he told me to come into the office for IV fluids. I was first amazed at this instead of him just telling me to go to the ER...........

I got to the office and from start to end had none but a wonderful experience even with feeling so horrible. I went in around 330 and they started pumping bad after bag of IV saline into me and the office was getting close to closing -- my EP doc came into the room, told the nurse she could leave and that he would take over my care. he sat there talking to me, changing my IV bags, and when the last one was done, took out my IV (we are talking like the grunt work here!!!) -- then proceeded to help me up from having been laying down for two hours....i got dizzy and lightheaded, he stayed by my side, checking my vitals, then i got up and had to sit back down cuz i felt faint.....he came over to me and helped me to the waiting room and told me to sit on the couch for a bit and that he'd come back to check on me (mind you, the office has been closed for an hour and everyone was gone!) .............he came back and then asked how i was feeling just sitting and i told him i felt ok, then he had me stand up to make sure i was ok -- i stood up and almost passed out and so he helped me sit back down, waited some more and then asked me if i was ok sitting -- which i was..........he then asked if i felt ok to leave the office and i said i thought i would be ok sitting/driving and he said that he would help me out to my jeep. he put me in a wheelchair and literally wheeled me out, right to my jeep!!!!!!!!!!!! what a sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!! oh my gosh, i swear I have the best doc ever. so compassionate.

just thought i'd share my wonderful experience with you all.

Guest tearose

wow, that is one doctor who went the extra mile!

Glad to hear a great doctor can be so compassionate and helpful and demonstrate that being so kind only adds to their professionalism!

Wow. Happy for you and the others in his care!

tearose

I'm so glad you have a great doctor! That is such a breath of fresh air from the majority of them. I have dealt with so many doctors over the years that it's ridiculous, but I finally found a POTS doctor who I adore and he found me a cardiologist who is a gem of a guy too. I'm sticking with these two to the bitter end...lol

The really great thing is that I have been able to turn my PCP around too. He was not at all knowledgeable about POTS and wasn't able to help me for years and years. Well, I finally got him enough info. that he researched and is now actually getting into the whole POTS thing...he even ordered a book by Dr. Grubb for me (at the suggestion of someone on this site). I feel so relieved to have a good team on my side now...it took long enough.

This post/read has been a wonderful way to start the day. If only every patient could have the experience you've had! Earlier this a.m. I listened to a radio program called 'White Coat, Black Art'. It has been on once a week for the past 3 months. Today's topic was about how doctors treat their patients and the doctors speaking must have been among those who treat us with respect.

I'm so happy for you and I hope you're much better today. It's too bad that your story couldn't be posted on the wall of every nasty doctor! I wonder if it would really make any difference?

Mary P

thanks for all your replies. it is nice to be able to share about some of the great docs out there. i really hope, especially you maxine with your latest troubles with the neuro, that you fall into compassionate hands.

i was so overwhelmed at how selfless my EP was, that it was friday evening and i'm sure he was wanting to get home to his family for the weekend, but instead he didnt rush me, didnt tell me to suck it up and get up, but instead cared for me so much as his patient that he literally sacrificed a few hours after closing the office in order to help me. remarkable.

i am doing a little better today, though i was surprised with 7 250 ML bags of saline that i was still quite wobbly on my feet and lightheaded - i think my EP was surprised as well because doesnt fluid loading via IV seem to help the majority of people with POTS/orthostatic intolerance?

my EP wrote me a script for scopolamine (sp?) for the nausea (it is a patch you put on for motion sickness basically) and i feel more "off" i think with this particular med. any of you tried this for nausea?

Hi Angela,

he certainly sounds like a wonderful doctor - one to send a thank you card to and keep seeing regularly. On the odd occasion that I have been given IV fluids I have usually had 1-2 litres of saline and sometimes 500ml of Gelofusin too.

I haven't tried scopolamine (hyoscine) myself. My favourite anti-sickness meds are Prochlorperazine (Compazine, Buccastem, Stemetil and Phenotil) and Metoclopramide (Maxolon, Reglan, Degan, Primperan and Pylomid). The buccastem version of prochlorperazine is brilliand as it is a buccal tablet that you place between your gum and cheek where it is absorbed - no need to swallow a tablet when feeling sick (downside it tastes gross if you touch it with your tongue!).

Flop