Bracelets--We're getting closer!!!

Hello everyone, as we're finishing up the survey, things are looking like we're going to be able to move forward with getting the bracelets printed. So far, it's appears that a metal bracelet is going to be the choice--I'm waiting for some samples to arrive which may take up to 2 weeks.

The best news today is this:

We have an anonymous donor who has offered to match our member donations toward the bracelet printing project up to 100$!!! :)

Each donation you make means that we get closer to having most or all of the money given toward the purchase a bracelet will go directly to DINET instead of paying first for what we've spent on printing. No donation is too small. For information on how to donate, please see:

http://www.dinet.org/how_you_can_help.htm

We also have a Paypal account, if that is your prefered method.

If you choose to donate toward the project, please do indicate on your check, or with any notation allowed via Network for Change or Paypal. If you have any questions, please feel free to conact me using the email link button below my post.

Nina :)

Edited by MightyMouse

Hello again everyone, Just wanted to let you know that I recieved the sample bracelts in the mail today--and the metal ones are really nice. Brushed aluminum is now the front-runner as opposed to steel--the aluminum ones are a softer metal, allowing the owner to better adjust the fit/size, which I know is a concern for many. I have a very small wrist and was able to get it to fit perfectly--the steel bracelets don't have much "give"--while it might last longer, if it doesn't FIT you, you're likely to lose it during daily wear.

We have a few more things to do before we can go to printing them up, but we're not far off. So far, we have 2 donations toward printing--which covers a portion of the cost to make the bracelets.

Lastly, we're up to 50 participants with the survey. Thanks to those of you who participated! Nina

Guest GayleP

Thank again Nina for doing this. I also have a really small wrist so I'd need something that could be adjusted.

What is the bracelet going to say on it? I know there were several choices on the survey.

GayleP

Nina and All,

So glad that thing are getting done on the way to a finished project. I think that this will open eyes to Dysautonomia. I am a big beliver in getting the word out. I am sure that through this project we will be helping others.

I am total opposite of you two on the small wrist thing so I would think that making them adjustable would be the best idea too. Glad to see this project getting on its way.

Shelby

Thanks folks!

So far, we haven't firmly settled on the phrase for the bracelet, but the top line of text will say "Dysautonomia - DINET.org" and I am trying to work out getting the puzzle piece logo from the website imprinted to the right of the web address. The phrase we choose will run in larger text and below the dinet info.

Here's what's very clear: the bracelet will be silver color--brushed aluminum with a blue imprint.

Now it's just a matter of working out details. Also, we are still working on an accompanying info card that people can give to others who ask you about the bracelet. That, and of course, finding the $$ to get them printed.

Nina :D

Nina,

I'm very excited about this bracelet and just this morning I was wondering about something like the infocard you mentioned. I think this is very important because there are days I can't remember my own name ;) . So to you and the others who work on this project: a very big compliment for doing this!!!

This bracelet for me will not only be an explanation to others to let them know dysautonomia exists but it also gives me a feeling of being part of our POTSgroup.

Corina

Hey all,

You know this is so great that you guys are excited about this. We are working on a card that would explain to others about dysautonomia: I told my gran about and she loved the idea of the card because it is so hard to explain. Sorry brain fog is very high today but you get waht I am trying to say ya? :-) I am just excited that this is going to get done!

Yeah!

Stacey :-)

I see more people every day wearing the Lance Armstrong bracelets. I'm wondering if we should have thought about how sucessful they were going to be and have one made of the same material, so that some of those people can wear 2 at a time, just different colors?

This is one of those mornings where I'm just kind of airing my thoughts without really thinking, sorry.

I'm just wondering if people would be willing to wear 2 different bracelets, I guess?

I can't wait until you guys finish up, I'm dying to start ours :)

Nina,

This is so exciting!!! :D How much money is needed to get the bracelets printed? I so wish that I was working right now and could afford to give a huge donation. I would do it in a second.

I think the bracelets you selected sound great. Just a question, will they scratch easily? I am so glad that you will have something about dysautonomia on them. I am going to wear mine proudly.

Next question, I know you need the money ASAP to get this going but I was wondering when is the latest you could get it? I was trying to think if there is some kind of fundraiser I could do to raise money for them but I know it would take a little time to do.

Anyone have any suggestions on a fundraiser so we can get this thing going??

Wish we all lived close together and put our foggy brains together to come up with something :)

Danelle

Merrill, it will cost almost 600$ for the first printing of the bracelets...and a few hundred more for us to print up the accompanying info cards. I'm estimating 800$ before we can go ahead, and yes, the $$ needs to be paid to the printer up front. We currently have at total of 200$ in donations toward the bracelet project that I'm aware of, although I will be speaking to Michelle this weekend and will get an updated then.

As mentioned before, anyone interested in making a donation may use PayPal (online funding to DINETSupport at symbol verizon dot net). Note that I spelled out our PayPal email--the reason for that is because there are email mining programs that scour forums for addresses. If you use a traditional mailto address like nomorespam@nomorespam.gov it may be harvested from here and you may see a rapid increase in spam. Done with net lesson for today!

Back to donations: the other way is to go to the donor page on http://www.dinet.org and use network for good, or the old fashioned check in the mail method.

Nina :)

ps. we did get a step farther this week--the info card text went to final review with our copy editor.

Edited by MightyMouse

Oh, I forgot to add that shipping costs paid at the time of people purchasing the bracelets will cover the cost of shipping supplies and postage. I'll have to buy some stuff up front to get started but am fine with doing that (padded envelopes for shipping). Of course if anyone wants to donate padded envelopes, that's fine too!

As for how easily the bracelets scratch...hard to say. The ones they sent me as samples are pretty sturdy, but flexible enough to get a good fit. The colored aluminum appears to be easier to show scratches, but the silver would likely mask them better.

Where we're at:

text completed for note cards (thanks for all your help Stacey & Shelby) and in final review-at the point when that's approved, I will formally close the survey to votes for the bracelet statement and let you know what that will be. The current front runner is the Hillel quote ("meanwhile, I keep dancing").

the colors, by a wide margin in voting, will be the silver bracelet with blue text

price quotes obtained and printing company choosen for the bracelets has been found. The first printing will cost about 100$ more than later printings as there is extra cost involved in setting up the printing plates.

PayPal account has been set up and is running as a means to accept donations, and later, as a way to purchase too (I hope to eventually be able to accept credit cards via PayPal)

From the bracelet company, I understand the turn around time from placing the order to getting it delivered to my door will be a week to 2 weeks, so I'm guessing we're less than a month off from being able to have the bracelets available to everyone who wants one.

--Nina (ps. I'm copying the text from this posted into the pinned bracelet topic to inform folks who aren't following this particular thread).