My New Gift

Ernie

Hi everyone,

I just bought myself tonight a new rebumbent bike to go on the bicycle path.

I want to rebuild my cardio and my muscles.

I live one block from the St-Lawrence river and I will be able to tour around all summer and exercise at the same time.

This bike is very low to the ground as opposed to a regular bike. So I should not have any problem with blood pooling.

I just have to learn to balance myself (it is much more difficult than a regular bike). It's like learning how to go on bike all over again. I feel like a 6 year old child.

I live in the U.S and I would see a group of guys ride these every morning where I use to live. I always thought they looked so cool. Not sure where they got them. We just bought new bikes and I am biking like a mad woman. It's been great for me. I have been really bummed not being able to walk long distances and run anymore, so i am happy to be biking. No problems so far. When I feel my heart go funky i drop my resistance and slow down. It really is a great workout for me as I can control it much easier.

Hi Ernie,

Good for you!! You mentioned blood pooling in the legs. Does this mean that the use of a stationary bike causes blood to pool in the legs? I read on an www site that if we can't use a treadmill, and I can't because it throws me off balance, then a stationary bike could be an alternative way to exercise the legs.

I don't need any more pooling because I already have too much of this: 1) Autonomic Failure and 2) Varicose Veins. I can walk, very slowly, for only 10 minutes, so I'm not getting enough exercise.

Have you used a stationary bike in the past? I had really hoped to look into getting one. I know that I could never go out on the road with a 'vehicle' such as you have. I know that it too would throw me off balance.

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

Mary P

I

Ernie,

Thanks for sharing this news with us! I think this is a great idea and I'm excited for you!

Have fun! ;)

Lisa

That's really COOL Ernie but I am surprised to see it's a two wheeler bike? No wonder balance is such an issue for you.

The few I have seen around here are more like tricycles with two wheels in the back. Hope you feel comfortable soon. If we did NOT live on such a huge, steep hill, it would be handy to have one of these to use to go to the store a couple minutes from me...with the price of gasoline and all.

Keep us updated.

;)

Hi Mary P,

You can buy a recumbent stationary bike. I have one at home but I don't like looking at the walls, especially in the summer. So that's why I decided to buy one that I can go outside.

Hi Sophia,

Part of the reason I bought it s to save on gas because it is so expsensive now. Since I go to the beach every day I want to save money in the long run and retrain my body.

To all

I bought my front light, back light, flag, bell, pump, chain, helmet, knee and elbow protector. I think I am being as safe as I can. I am only going to drive on the bicycle path. I will probably start Saturday on Sunday because it is raining here all week until then.

This type of bike was invented in France. They say that it is easier on your back and that you have more push because you use more muscles. The downside is that you need more balance and you are less visible (closer to the ground). For us, the positive side is that we don't have blood pooling, and if we faint we don't fall from as high. Since there is no or almost no blood pooling there is less chance of fainting. It takes less energy to propel ourselves.

Thanks to share my joy.

I can't wait to ride on it!!!!

Blood pooling - I don't think that upright stationary bikes are and different to upright mobile bikes. Whilst cycling your leg muscles will be working hard and the pumping action of the calf muscles will help to squeeze blood back towards the heart. However gravity plays a part in everything - standard bikes have your feet much lower than your hips so blood has to flow up hill, on a recumbent bike your legs are much more horizontal so gravity has much less of an influence. It is an individual question of how your body responds - I seem to do fine on the standard exercise bike at the gym so long as I keep the resistance at a level where my heart rate doesn't skyrocket.

Recumbent bikes - Ernie that looks like such good fun! I would love to have one (although would probably choose a 3-wheeled version as my balance is dreadful).

Flop

Ernie, that is the coolest bike!! I especially love the high backed seat. Looks like you could comfortably ride for a long distance. Thanks so much for sharing the links! I'm very glad that you've got all of your gear (helmet, pads etc.) for the first while it looks like it may feel a little strange to ride on. Have fun and make sure to tell us how it goes!

Hi Laura,

The seat is soooo comfortable. It's like sitting in the living room couch. There is also a shock absorber under the seat so that if you hit bumps you don't tire or injure your back.

I tried the half recumbent bike and I was able to go around the block with it. I figured that it would not be long before I would get my balance on the full recumbent bike. The difference is that the weight is at my waist where the handle bars are situated. I am not used to controlling my steering from that close but it will be less tiring because my arms will be closer to my heart.

Ernie, it looks like so much fun (my move is almost over and I have my computer back) I used to see a lot of people using these types of bikes, but not so much now, maybe because they make indoor recumbents now...but how good will all that fresh air feel! Have fun and be careful sweetie! morgan

Good going Ernie!

I find a huge difference between biking outside and on a stationary one inside. I use an ordinary bike, just because I already have one, with tight bike shorts to help with the pooling. Hasn't bothered me yet. It is freeing, kind of like flying. Here's a tip for recumbants though: you are on the same level as dogs and they find that cool--you may not. Try carrying a squirt gun with half vinegar, half water if you think you might be nipped. They learn fast.

Hi,

Thanks Shushi for the advice.

I was able to try my bike one day because it rained all week. It is very difficult to get my balance. I was able to give 10 push without loosing my balance but the rest of the time I was not able to get the second pedal because I was afraid to fall. I did fall twice on the grass and injure my right knee.

I found the man who built this bike so I will go and see him in about 10 days to have my bike adjusted for my size and he is going to show me how to ride it. I could also have small wheel put on the back wheel to keep my balance but it would cancel the back shock absorber which makes the bike very comfortable. I will see first if I can ride it. I will give myself a few more weeks before putting the small wheel on the back wheel. So far, it is raining almost every day so there is no rush.