Ana Panel Test (antinuclear Antibodies) For Pots, Etc.

Has anyone had an ANA test done for POTS to see if it is a secondary condition caused by a primary condition?

I looked up that an abnormal ANA could be: Lupus, Sjogren's Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibro...have you of you experience POTS from one of these (or other) primary conditions? Have any of you had an abnormal (high) ANA test?

And is Shy-Drager a true concern for people with POTS? I've seen this referenced here and there...

I'm still going through diagnostic testing all this is so daunting!

My ANA, Sedate and Rheumatoid factor are all abnormal. Those are the 3 used to confirm RA, and the RA Drs say I don't have it- no water on the joints.

:):lol:

I did have a bout of RA. At that time my RA factor was 3 times normal. Its about 2 times normal now, and I have no symptoms- thank God. This was brought on by Chemo drugs so I consider the RA as in remission.

Mine have always come back abnormal from 1/160 to 1/640 at various times since the dysautonomia/pots. I have also had an active EBV panel during all this and I think they are somehow related. Since my tilts have stayed the same over 2.5 years they feel this is why I have the dys/pots, they feel post-viral and not a progressive disorder.

My ana is high, my dr always puts it, "YOu have a high lupus indicator" but nothing else tests positive for lupus. He says he doesn't know how it plays into everything, but I had it done when I first got sick 10 years ago and then I had one last year and each time they were high. sorry i can't give more advice

Madeline

Mine have always come back abnormal from 1/160 to 1/640 at various times since the dysautonomia/pots. I have also had an active EBV panel during all this and I think they are somehow related. Since my tilts have stayed the same over 2.5 years they feel this is why I have the dys/pots, they feel post-viral and not a progressive disorder.

Well that is actually 'good to hear' - it looks like mine were 1/160...and now they want to do another ANA test and a few more other tests to rule out or diagnose conditions that cause the high ANA count.

I'm trying to stay positive now - it's reassuring to know it could be post-viral (which CAN get better, I keep hearing) and that could be a possibility for the abnormal ANA.

The doctor tried to reassure me not to worry at this point - there is no need until all tests are done and we know what we're dealing with. Still, the mind wanders!

Hi

I have my ANA positive then the doctor made me a SS-A y SS-B for Sj?gren and it was positive I have POTS and for me its so tired because I have to live with both diseas. But I am studing all the treatments of tb oth diseas.

Don?t worry. You need to have information and learn how to live with both.

Have a nice day! ;)

Cat, elevated ANA doesn't always mean that you've got a major disorder going on; I have high ANA but never test positive for any of the specific antibodies that would indicate sjorgren's, lupus, etc. Also, some medications can cause you to have a higher than normal ANA test.

Nina

I am glad to see this topic. I am one of those who has had both positive and negative ANA results and docs have not yet been able to put it together. I know the ANA can indicate a number of different things, often indicating some sort of autoimmune issue. I do have Hashimoto's, and the docs sometimes suspect lupus, but remains a mystery.

I just had a second test and will have results during my follow-up in a couple of weeks. Lupus can have a genetic link, I've been told, and that's one thing that can 'bring about' an abnormal ANA.

There are other things, too, and it seems some people have an abnormal one with no other symptoms usually associated with it (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, other syndromes).

You think it'd have to be related to something, though...

My ANA was previously slightly elevated. I got sent to a rheumatologist to evaluate for autoimmune, and they kept bringing up lupus. Exploring this is how I ended up with my lyme diagnosis. With treatment, my ANA seems to have returned to normal.

Did Lyme disease cause your POTS, too? I have vaguely heard about that (but I don't remember ever being around ticks, etc. so they've not brought up Lyme with the abnormal ANA). Should this be something I should ask the doctor to check out to be safe?

Hi, Yes, I do believe either lyme or the other co-infections I have are the cause of pots for me. With treatment for babesia, one of the co-infections, I have been able to stand longer. I think it's always smart to at least rule lyme out. I never saw a tick on me, although I did like hiking and camping. I do want to mention that lyme testing is very unreliable, so a negative lyme test does not necessarily mean you don't have lyme. To truly rule it out you'd need to see a LLMD (lyme literate MD).