Good News!

Eillyre

Just wanted to let you all know how I'm doing. I haven't been super active on the forum this past year because of increased activity outside the house, but lurk every now and again to stay connected. :P I have such good news, though!

This past summer and fall I was well enough to start working part-time as a receptionist at the Pilates studio I trained at during my dancing days. My job description quickly mushroomed as I undertook the lead role in switching us from paper to computerized recordkeeping and scheduling (young blood works wonders!), but I was able to sustain my activity without difficulty between the combination of medications, preventative measures (e.g. high salt and fluid intake), pacing, and flexible hours. My boss was happy to have me 3-5 hours a day, 3-4 days a week.

Due to a family emergency and many holiday visitors this winter, however, I had difficulty recovering completely from a virus I caught in late October. I spent Nov and Dec mostly on the couch. I lost about a year's worth of progress in terms of my level of function: no work, no reading, trouble with daily living activities, etc. Finally in January I had an uninterrupted stretch in which to recuperate and was able to start studying again and do a little work from home. Since then, my recovery rate has been pretty fast compared to other years, but I have not made it back to the office because...

In late January I got my acceptance letter to Rutgers University!!! I'll be working towards a degree in Landscape Architecture. Who knew that lying on the couch for a couple years looking blankly at pictures of flowers would introduce me to a new career path? :P I was planning to apply based on my steady progress in 2007, and, despite the second thoughts my winter setback fostered, I managed to complete my college essay under the cloud of brain fog (and they liked it!).

I've spent the last month filling out paperwork (e.g. disability documentation/accommodation), getting a head start on reading textbooks, reviewing math in preparation for placement tests, etc. I'll plan to start out taking 1-2 courses per semester to avoid over-taxing my energy, and gradually increase my workload as health allows. I've already discussed my general situation with the program director and he's been very supportive. The university is only about 30 minutes from home, so the commute won't be bad and I won't have to bother finding new doctors, etc. It'll probably take about 7 years to finish my degree (so much for all of the Class of 2012 stuff several organizations at the university have been sending!), but I'm thrilled to be moving forward in this goal!

Well, that's the latest segment of my little success story! Thank you all again for the support and information you've provided me with during this illness. I'm not planning on cutting my ties to the forum or anything, but still I want you to know how much you've meant to my family and me.

With love,

Angela

Thank you - it is wonderful to hear sucess stories (gives the rest of us something to aspire to). Congratulations on the university place I hope you really enjoy the course and it leads to an enjoyable career that you will always be able to fit arround your health.

Keep us updated,

Flop

Angela, I'm so happy for you! You've been such a positive influence here and in my own outlook, so reading this was a real joy! I'm sure it did wonders for your confidence and emotions to get out into the "working world." If you can handle that, you can handle studying for sure, so good for you!

Will you be living on campus at all or always driving to your classes? I drove to mine when I attended college, and you probably have considered this, but if you arrange your classes so that you only need to be on campus a few days a week, that can really help conserve energy! I had a few semesters where i got to take Tuesdays and Thursdays to just study at home. It gave me a chance to catch up on sleep and really dedicate myself to studying. Keep us updated, and congratulations on this big step forward. :)

Kristen

Thanks, all!

Kristen, yes, I will be driving to school. I can't see forking over money for living in dorms when I'm taking such a light courseload (and will get more rest at home anyhow). ;) The commute is very manageable and by trying to group my classes into fewer days on campus, I can conserve more energy for studying at home. I'm also looking into taking a "hybrid" Freshman Composition class -- "hybrids" meet on campus 1 day a week, then students participate in extra discussions, peer editing, etc. online at their convenience during the week. I do fine with online learning and would really benefit from any extra flexibility of schedule I can concoct.

I just spent the morning on campus for the Admitted Students Open House: getting a tour of the Landscape Architecture department's facilities, meeting and talking with a few students and faculty, etc. It was a very profitable time for me and they really appreciated my enthusiasm and questions. Next step...getting ready for placement tests!

Thanks again!

Angela