Need help getting off the sugar again.

hilfgirl33

Okay, yesterday I had some cookies and didn't feel well the rest of the day. My diet hasn't been great either. Today I've actually felt like maybe I'm going down with something, headache, chills, stomach rolling and cramping up, nauseous at times. Of course it being Halloween, there is tons of candy around the house. I was very very good until just a few minutes ago when I saw a MaryJane (haven't had one in years). After that, the sweet tooth acted up and I had a Baby Ruth and three small tootsie rolls. Now I feel even worse!!!

The thing is, I know how bad it is going to make me feel but my willpower is so bad right now.

All of you who have food problems, how do you control your dietary cravings? I try not to keep it in the house but I have kids and they attract it like flies on ... well you know. My DD had to bake German Chocolate brownies last week for German class and I had to cut them. I just can't resist.

Signed-

Off the Wagon Again

:(

Dear off the wagon, :(

I know it is hard to give anything up at first, but once you've done it for awhile it becomes easy. I don't even think of eating sweets anymore. My husband and son try to talk me into things every once in awhile...just a couple of weeks ago my husband talked me into taking a bite of a doughnut at a cider mill. It tasted so overwhelmingly sweet that I ended up spitting it out. Probably not so good for business at the cider mill. :(

I don't even like the taste of really sweet things anymore. There are naturally sweet foods (fruits and such) that you can substitute with when you get a craving for sweets. And, while I don't eat them, there are sugar substitutes that you might like. Hang in there and -if sugar does indeed make you feel worse- keep trying. Once you've done it for awhile it becomes easy.

Michelle

Today is a new day! Every now and then, you'll be tempted and decide to go for it. It's not to be unexpected; so, afterward, don't beat yourself up--just try to start the next day with a clean slate.

:( Nina

Thanks for the support ladies. My diet was much better yesterday with a few snags. Michelle, when I first was getting sick and noted that sugar was a trigger, I started following the insulin resistance diet and ate no sugar at all. I know that feeling of eating something that tastes so sugary because you are not used to it. Unfortunately I have been off that wagon for a while and I really need to get back on. For some reason, I have been having such a hard time with my daily diet. I think I'm tired of all the same proteins. I do like veggies so that is helpful, but I really need to find some new recipes or something to trigger my interest in healthy eating. They have to be easy too because with kids and having POTS, my dinners are all really simple anymore (that may be theproblem too!) - family loves lots of pasta and its really easy.

Just wondering of you guys would post some of what you eat on a daily basis and some of your more favorite recipes or things. Thanks for any help!!!

Elaine ;)

Hello again,

my issues are sugar as much as gluten. I get some very tasty stuff from the Mr. Ritts bakery in South Philadelphia. He has a website where you can download a pdf of all the products--I think he has some sugar free stuff too? Anyway, it's great stuff and they're the nicest people. You can call a few hours or a day ahead of your order and they'll have it all ready for you when you get there.

Nina ;)

Wow, I was reading your post and I could've written it myself!! I just found out that I have a slight sensitivity to gluten, so that's a no-no for me, as well as sugar, dairy, eggs, carbs, and the list goes on. It is sooooooo hard for me, because I love food and mostly everything I am not supposed to have!! I have received a lot of great ideas from some folks on this board as well as the NDRF board, and I must say my diet has improved lately. I haven't had an upset stomach in months, and my POTS symptoms definitely decrease a little when I "behave". On the plus side, I've also lost about 10 lbs since I have been eating more strictly =)

Anyway, when I am really feeling overwhelmed with the cravings, I will allow myself to cave in with something minor, like a candy bar or a few cookies. I will try to eat the sugary food on a day when I am not doing anything important, and I always chow down right before bed (a big no-no but it helps me!!). That way if I do get any symptoms, I minimize exposure to them. Not the best advice I know, but it's how I get through PMS chocolate cravings every month!!!

I also do not keep anything sweet in the house, because David is on steroids for a medical condition as well, and he is trying to avoid the whole weight gain thing. So no matter how many times I open the fridge, there is nothing for me to get into ;) As far as recipes go, what I have started doing is cooking the easy stuff like pasta, and I will cook my own pasta, which I got from the health food store, and it's made with rice flour or corn flour. Or I'll make a 3 course meal, and I'll leave the carbs off my plate. I also drink water all day, to avoid any extra sugar in my diet. I'm not sure what else to say, since I think I am having the same problem you are!! If I find any good recipes I will be happy to share them :D

Hi Elaine,

I'm really not that great of a cook, so I'll spare you the recipes. If we want to eat good my husband does the cooking. But I eat pretty much what a normal person eats. I just buy a lot of what I eat at health food stores....I usually go to Whole Foods in Ann Arbor, Michigan. http://www.wholefoods.com/ It is pricey...and it's the only grocery store I've ever been to that actually has valet parking, but I really like the food.

As I mentioned before, I stay away from sugary sweets and foods with a lot of junk in them. Other than that, I eat like a normal person. And I do eat out a few times a week, during which times I probably am eating foods with a lot of additives/preservatives in them. I'm not totally strict with my eating habits, but I always do stay away from sugar. I know if I don't I will really feel lousy.

Keep trying! Once you've been doing it for awhile it just becomes normal.

Michelle

Hi, I also have problems with sugar and carbs. I usually do okay with my diet, but I do find it hard at times - especially around the holidays!! When I do have cravings sometimes I'll let myself eat 1 cookie or whatever just to get it out of my system. Substitutions are also helpful. Sometimes I buy those protein bars that are low carb & sugar.

I would also love to hear any recipes that anyone has!

How do I control my cravings? I have found that a "little bit of sugar" for me is like a "little bit of alcohol" for an alcoholic. I just went through a 6 month period of basically eating anything I wanted. It was fun. I love sugar. But the weight did come on because of my lack of control, and feeling poorly.

Now, today, I just went through a root canal procedure for a toothache. Toothache does not describe the pain I was in. The pain was unbearable, and worse. Anyway, the anesthesia is wearing off and the tooth is hurting again. Why am I telling you this? I honestly don't think I'm going to go near sugar again if I can help it. I now have the memory of dental pain in my mind to stop me. I know in my case it was all the sweets I was eating that ruined an existing filling. There's nothing like a little physical pain, and mental pain ($1500 for the tooth which I don't have) to discourage me from ever eating sweets again. And there youhave it.

Dear Futurehope,

I soooo Hear ya!!! I am also like an alcoholic when it comes to sugar. I can't have a taste because it's all downhill, I want the whole box, bag, cake, whatever. I can't just have one. I usually can control myself shortly after I start though, because i Know the consequences of POTS flaring. And I also gain weight like a fiend with sugar.

I was also diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome which is linked to glucose intolerance, type II diabetes and infertility among other things. I know this is why I gain weight when I eat sugar, but I've had this for quite a while and it wasn't until I had POTS that it actually made me sick. It just makes me wonder how closely the two are linked.

I am having major league PMS this month, probably should get my monthly friend this weekend, and I think I'm going to have to wait this cycle out to get out of this bad binge I've been on. I"ve been pretty good the past few days, but not anywhere near where I need to be. Well, then the Holidays.......... I could really cry.

I told my daughter who came home from the mall today with an Auntie Ann's cinnamon sugar pretzel and said "here do you want this" and after I ate most of it, that she is never to hand me something like that again. I told her it is not her fault, it is mine but I'm really weak. I need my family support right now and I feel like all they ever eat is sugar, against all my good efforts otherwise.

Sorry for going on but like I said.. PMS!!! ;)

Signed,

Living in Sugar He** (for now!!)

Dear Futurehope

Sugar is absolute poison when it comes to us. But I so understand your feeling. A few doctors have promised that they can make me healthy. And then I have dreams of locking myself in a candy store for a few days. Just to catch up on lost time. Unfortunately this has never materialized. In the beginning when I was diagnosed with the first disease. I left sugar totally for a solid 3 months. I followed the diet exactly. DANGEROUS! My sugar levels drop so low, how I was still alive the doctor cannot explain. The point is the doctor gave me a diet and I followed it exactly. Normal patients don’t do this and cheap at least one a week. I was advised to cheat at least one a week. I could have a milkshake with my meal when I went out for supper. Or a SMALL chocolate after dinner once a week. You can try this and see if your body can handle it. I could do this for a few years. But unfortunately my body can’t even handle such small quantities any more. But try and I hope it keeps you happy even if only for a few minutes a week.

Regards

CHOCOLATE LOVER

It is funny how we crave the things that are the worst for us. It took me a long time to realize that sugar made me feel so bad. I was really addicted to it at one point. Now I only have it occasionally. If you are going to cheat make sure it is not on an empty stomach. Also a piece of hard candy after a meal seems to satisfy me if I am desperate. However the week of PMS is very hard to control. I would like to do what Michele did and cut it totally out of my diet so I no longer like it.

I don't know if that is possible for me! I like food too much. weight is not an issue for me so I have always used the excuse that it is OK.

Dawn

I just wanted to share this... I am down in Florida visiting my parents for the week. Due to their lack of POTS friendly foods, yesterday I ate pizza, tons of Oreos, a donut, and varius other carb and sugar containing foods, and I suffered tremendously all day today with the POTS...could barely stand up in the store and hat to sit it out while my mom went shopping with Ethan. Not to mention the upset stomach I had all night last night. It is sooooo not worth it!! I have been *good* all day and I feel slightly better now- but PMS is coming up next week, so I'm sure I'll be falling into the trap again.... it is just so hard!! I really need to work on my diet more. I'm just glad someone understands!!

I think the tough part for everyone is that it is usually sugary foods that are the easiest to grab a hold of when you're hungry, and are the most available everywhere - like at ethansmom's house. Everyone, everywhere tends to give you sugary or junk food. It is so easy and so delicious. It doesn't bother other people. I think it's hard to figure out what to put in your mouth between meals that doesn't take too much fixing. Lately, I've been peeling and cutting up an apple for after a meal. I can't eat sugar on an empty stomach. That makes me feel really bad. That's why I eat the apple after dinner. As for other snacks, I still am trying to figure that one out.

I haven't eaten fruit in so long!! I think chocolate sometimes has less sugar than the fruit does :P I've been wondering about snacks too. Right now I've found that peanut butter on celery works pretty well. I keep V8 in the fridge and pickles. Also, nuts, especially almonds are good. And I like popcorn :) I just bought those popcorn (like rice) cakes. They seem to be easy snacking. Oh and I always carry my protein bars with me!! What else do you guys snack on?

What do you guys think about Atkins stuff? Think it is good for us? I love the fact that everything is high protein, low carb! and they make a peanut butter chocolate bar that is delicious!!

Ethansmom: I totally understand about Florida. I just moved here from Virginia and am having a tough time shopping. I miss Trader Joes!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I do a rotation diet and at times had to give up wheat, dairy and eggs as well as sugar. It was really hard especially as I am a vegetarian. After a year of being very strict, I find that now with a rotation diet I can have wheat one day a week. The same goes for dairy and eggs. Sugar is probably another story ... I certainly don't keep raw sugar around anymore, but sometimes I bake "minimally sweet" muffins or other desserts and have modified recipes to use fruit or a touch of barely syrup etc. Still can't use more than a dash. But after awhile the minimally sweet foods are quiet satisfying. I have a web site where I have posted some wheat free etc. creations ....

http://coolkarma.com/Foods/index.html

Good luck!

EarthMother