EMG

Sue

Hi I am having an EMG done on Friday morning, My doctor is very concerned with my numbness and has set this up prior to seeing the Neuro the following week has anyone has this procedure done and can tell me about it??

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue,

I had 2 EMG done and they were both negative. They were to test why I have muscle weakness.

It is a little bit painful because they insert a needle in your muscle and then send an electrical current. It took me 2 days for the pain to disappear.

Ernie

HI Sue,

Have you ever had accupuncture? It is kind of like that. The needles are very long and thin and if you don't watch, you will hardly know they are there. I saw that someone thought it was painful. I did not find it particularly painful. There was only a few times when they were moving the needle around to listen for a signal that I was at my limit. I guess it is different for everyone. I would not take a pain killer because I do not think it would work and who knows if it would alter the test? Especially an anti inflammatory might alter the test because they are putting the needles into your muscles. I don't really know, but I wouldn't chance it.

Ann

Hi,

I would not take any pain killer in case it changes the data. I felt the pain and it was very real to me. The neurologist had to hold my arm because my arm would just jump in the air and he was afraid that the needle would damage my muscles. I had no control over my muscles jerking every time they sent an electric shock. Also, the pain caused a big adrenaline rush and I had intense tremors for the whole testing. I understand that we don't all have the same pain threshold and maybe you won't feel anything. I hope it goes OK for you.

Ernie

Hey,

I have had 2 EMGS done and they both hurt. I really hate that test. Neither of them showed anything either. One of them I had to make sure my hands and feet stayed warm so if you can imagine this I was sitting at Mayo in Jacksonville, Fl with wool socks and gloves on. No wonder I got stares. :) I found it worse than acupuncture only cause once the needle is in in acupuncture the pain stops for me at least. Anyway the test is not to long but it is uncomfortable be prepared.

Stacey

Sue,

I hope your EMG went well ... I just wanted to say I had one done a few months ago and it was a little uncomfortable in that they jab you with a very thin needle in various places (hands, ankles, feet, legs, back) to see if the nerves/muscles are working properly. Mine was normal, even though I was convinced something had to be wrong because my muscles were growing so weak and were twitching.

Sounds like I am not the only POTS patient to think I had a problem with my muscles/nerves. The weakness is probably my worst symptom behind shortness of breath. I don't even notice the tachycardia anymore!

Hope all went well; please share your experience after your test.

Amy

Well test was concelled due to insurance mix up, of course. rescheduled for next Thursday, only now after reading all of these posts I am really nervous :) , hate pain :P and can deal without it. Will still have test done because I am completely numb on my right side and its driving me crazy!!

Sue

Ann

I am not sure that is why I am going for the EMG, I have had the numbness for a while, I just didn't say anything to my doctor because I figured it would go away, dummy m :) so now I have to do that and see a neurologist, but no I don't have anything wrong with my back. It may just be a pinched nerve.

Sue