Why They Think We're Depressed

Here's a link to the Zung Self-Rating Depression Scale:

http://www.medalreg.com/qhc/medal/ch18/18_...04-03-ver9.php3

Notice that some of the questions relate to autonomic nervous system symptoms and health-related quality of life issues. So if you are exhausted all of the time, and your heart is racing, and you are constantly fighting dizziness and lightheadedness, and you don't enjoy the things you used to do, because you can't do them anymore, that all adds to the score, even though your problem is purely circulatory. To say that you therefore are depressed is to stretch the concept of depression completely out of shape.

This scale is useful for rating how depressed someone is if he or she is depressed, but I question its validity for diagnosing depression in someone with an autonomic nervous system disorder.

Wow thats very interesting, probably explains why most of us were told we were just depressed before actually getting diagnosed wiht POTS or other autonimic nervous system problems.

Thats very interesting how many of the things overlap, when i took it it said that i was depressed, and i am still a very happy person even having to deal with this cruddy illness.

Thanks for sharing!!

Just want to point out that an astute physician, who knows something about the autonomic nervous system, would or should be able to separate the depressed or anxious patient from a patient with an autonomic dysfunction. Yes, some symptoms/signs are similar to many conditions - including those with hyperthyroidism, cardiac arrhythmia, like SVT, etc. - but this is why we go through medical training :), to be able to discern what's what. Unfortunately, autonomic disorders is a relatively new field, so misconceptions and lack of knowledge persist in the medical community.

My depression is diagnosed "situational depression."

I really don't disagree. Who wouldn't be depressed when they feel like their life has been taken away?

I was always spontaneous and very active. I loved my job, I loved to shop, I loved being busy.

Staying at home for me *****. Not being able to make plans drives me crazy (because who knows

how I will feel that day). I hate POTS. Thanks for letting me vent.

Dawn

Dawn, I understand what you mean. seriously, who WOULDNT be depressed having to deal with all this? Sorry you cant do many things you were once able to do -- I guess I should be happy that I am still able to work -- but find myself pretty depressed in not being able to do the type of work in the field of cardiology that I want to -- because of POTS.....it's tough and wears on you emotionally.

depression is normal to feel when dealing with chronic illness. ...so I completely understand. I took the test and it came back saying "somewhat depressed". I agree with the test too and dont think it's a bunch of nonsense. it is rough having to deal with POTS, and definitely takes a toll, at least ON ME, emotionally. so I'm right there with you dawn.

I think docs often give a diagnosis of depression when a patient's symptoms don't fit neatly into a box - I've known people with other rare conditions that were told it was just "depression" or "anxiety". And I agree with cardiactec and dawn - depression would be a normal feeling for patients who are seriouisly ill, especially if they are having trouble getting any doc to take them seriously - which unfortunately makes it easier for the doctors to attribute the physical symptoms to depression.

I know that many with long term illness suffer from depression, and I don't at all mean to make light of that fact. I do, however, want to say that at least 10 doctors slapped an anxiety/depression label on me instead of doing their homework. It was so frustrating--and I kept saying that I was exhausted and WANTED to get out of bed and WANTED to go to work, and WANTED to do all my hobbies, but physically could not. I wasn't sad about it--I was getting to the the point of being aggravated and ticked off that my body wouldn't comply with me.

However, for a decade, maybe more, not a single doctor could get themselves past hearing "I'm tired and nauseated when I wake up, and I still feel exhausted all day", and summarized that I was depressed.

I will concede that autonomic studies is a rather new area for medicine--and I'll forgive them b/c they didn't know any better. Here's to the newer generation of doctors learning that disorders like ours exist and should be on the radar for a differential diagnosis.

Doctorguest also points out that doctors should be looking out for symptoms--and I'll add that an inventory like the one online is just a small tool in the big picture. Direct contact with the patient is often more important than a questionaire.

Nina

Because I had suffered from severe depression and anxiety a year before being diagnosed with POTS the first doctor I went to said it was all in my head and wanted to prove it to me by giving me a stress test so I could see that nothing was wrong. And when I went to the ER feeling like I couldn't breathe

and my heart felt like it was racing, the ambulence guys thought I was having a panic attack. I can definately see how POTS can be diagnosed as something else.

Being prone to depression and anxiety already and then having POTS is not a great combination. I find that when I'm in a situation where i'd be a little anxious that it's tripled. Could it be the fact that my heart is beating faster than normal? I'm not a medical professional so this is just a theory.

-Kate-