Anxiety - Sweating, Is Connected?

I get clammy feet and hands often. I feel anxious when this happens. I don't know if the anxiety is caused by my sweaty hands and feet because I know that is a symptoms of my sometimes panic attacks or that the sweaty hands and feet are caused by my anxiety. I am so sick of this. I feel like I can't go anywhere. I am afraid to be around people now because I'm afraid I'll embarrass myself with the anxiety.

Klonopin is not really helping. I was in the ER the other day and they gave me a pretty good dose of Xanax. I could barely keep my eyes open. I think I am in a vicious cycle right now of being afraid of another panic attack so I am so anxious all of the time.

PS. I feel guilty that I don't respond with a lot of advice, but seem to ask a lot of questions. I just feel like I don't know as much as some of you do about POTS. I'm sorry if my posts sound selfish - I'm really not.

I feel the same way about posting. I never have advise to give except Hang in there, I feel bad but I just don't know much about this illness. It's all too confusing to me.

I do know about anxiety alittle because I started getting anxious feeling last winter. I never had a panic attack but feel very paniky. Xanax helps me alot. I take it like 3x a week which is alot but is only my current option right now. Klonipin does nothing to help me settle down.

I really feel for you because the anxiety prevents me from doing all that I want to do and the illness is restricting enough. I hope this phases out soon.

Why were you in the er? I hope your alright.

Dayna

I was in the ER because I couldn't get settled down. I had a panic attack and it had subsided, but I had this horrible burning pain in my back and shoulders and convinced myself I could be having a heart attack. I had to go get checked out for peace of mind. Do you mind me asking what dosage you take of xanax? How does it make you feel? Can you take care of kids, drive, work?

It sounds like anxiety/panic attacks, but I would discuss with your physician. For me Klonopin helps a great deal, it was better than xanax for me and longer lasting. Everyone is difft.

When I was really sick with CFIDS the first time, the anxiety was real bad. I just couldn't understand what was happening to my body and had a hard time coming to terms with it all ---- therapy was very helpful. It literally was a matter of changing my thinking and forcing myself to continue to go out and do things, as horrified as I was to do that. It was very difficult, but within a couple months with meds and the therapy I was so much better. Actually, at the time I was terrified to just drive to the apts, which was so unlike me--- I drove all the time, everywhere-- so getting to the apts. was a form of therapy in itself.

I am dealing with the anxiety issues again with this last 2 yrs. of illness. I think it is mostly in relation to never knowing how i am going to feel, my life being turned upside down, will I ever be normal again, and what seems like the never ending variety of symptoms and treatment failures, being dependent and homebound. I think with chronic illness- a state of some anxiety and depression is normal. I just try to get through it and meds do help. I just tell myself it will pass. I am good at distracting myself as I am home, will watch tv, music,relaxation tapes, computer game, chat with someone on phone, or just talk myself through it.

I don't think you should feel guilty about asking questions or not giving enough advice. WE all support each other in whatever way we can. Sometimes by you just asking a question you are helping someone else. :rolleyes:

I get very clammy with anxiety which is a normal response. I lay down and do breathing exercises. The best books about panic and anxiety were written by Claire Weeks. If you can find them and read them they helped me the most.

After 20 years I am pretty much used to the panic, I used to call 911 or my husband, thinking for sure I was going to die. I am not saying it easy to ignore those awful feelings but I do not give the symptoms the power that I used to.

I do take Xanax 0.5mg when my adrenaline level is so high. A low dose SSRI often helps the surges of adrenaline ALOT. I take 5mg of Celexa and it has made a big difference. Sometimes I even forget to take the Xanax. We are all so different about which meds work. Talking with a counselor who specializes in anxiety is something that helps alot too. They can walk you through a panic attack and give you the tools that you need to learn to get you through.

Dawn

Try some hypnotherapy cd's. Glenn Harrold's are excellant. The more you use them the better the effect. I also found it helps with joints/muscles and stomach problems such as IBS, sleep problems and general anxiety.