Another Mri, But With Contrast

Maxine

My neurologist wanted to order another MRI----but this time with contrast. She would like to visualize the lesions better this time. The last one was done at a different hospital then the one I'm going to have this MRI. They have a new machine with a more powerful magnet. As you all have seen in my past posts I get nervous about anyting injected into me----and this time we have no choice but to have the contrast..

However, when I was in Chicago in May of 2002----I had the big bad CT dye. It's not really a big or bad, but folks have more reactions to that. I did not have a reaction, just a warm sensation. That evening after the test I felt kind of bad, but I was also only on 3 hours sleep. I have to admit, the dye made all the difference on that CT, as that is the only test that has shown the true severity of my cervical spine stenosis. It was just a lot more detailed.

I pray they don't find more lesions. The last MRI report stated that I have lesions in the periventricular area that may be consistant with a demyelination process, or small fiber ischemic disease. People who have heavy metal posioning can have damage to the myelin. I had positive lead poisoning results in my urine in March of 2001 when all of this stuff began--------(I did have a diagnosis of MVP, tachycardia, some mild fatigue before this-----since the 80s)----but the big crash was in late 2000/2001.)

I never had a proper work up on heavy metal poisoning--------------they ran another blood test, and another urine test, but the urine test was not done properly. The blood test was useless, as the blood life is only 35 days. If it was in the urine---it's already not in the blood...... :huh: The ball was dropped----plain and simple.

I hate to sound negative----but the facts are the facts,

Maxine :0)

I had a terrible reaction to CT contrast which is iodine based. Absolutely no reaction to MRI contrast. The MRI contrast is totally different and they rarely see and allergic to it. I had them pull me out of the MRI and sit while they gave me the contrast.

They only do it for the last picture usually.

Hope this puts you at ease.

Dawn

Maxine, I have Multiple sclerosis and now they are looking into POTs also, which is uncommon..... I have had ms since 2005 and several mri's of the brain and spine with and without contrast...... just letting you know you are not alone!!!

BIG HUGS TO YOU.........LISA

Hi Maxine,

I wish you well on the test and hope you have no reaction to the contrast.

I mentioned this before, but may not have posted a link. There is a possible connection in people between the type of white matter lesions you have and gluten sensitivity. People with celiac disease used to be diagnosed based upon digestive symptoms and tissue pathology, but now they are seeing (and looking for) more brain lesions even without intestinal symptoms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

OLL

Hi Maxine,

you are quite right that a small proportion of people have allergic reactions to the type of contrast given for CT scans - it if often iodine based. The warm feeling you mentioned is often described as a hot flush and is normal.

The contrast given for MRI scans is very different and has much lower risk of any kind of adverse reaction.

I've had MRIs both with and without contrast in the last year. Whilst I don't particularly enjoy being in the tunnel the scans themselves have been ok to have done and no reactions. I have fairly severe hay fever, asthma and eczema so I asked specifically about contrast reactions and was told the in MRI they are virtually unheard of.

I hope your scan gives your doctors useful information to guide your treatment.

Flop

I've had many, many MRI's with and without contrast--I've never had a reaction to the contrast, and, as you know, I have terrible medication allergies. Your reaction to the CT dye was normal. Nearly everyone gets the warm sensation, especially in the groin.

here is a description of MRI contrast agents, given by IV.

http://www.mritutor.org/mritutor/ivcon.htm

Nina

Before my mother passed away, she had MRIs. She said she felt nothing at all when she had the injection----other then the needle poke of course--- :o

Needles don't bother me at all-----never did.

I have read about the contrast dyes---pretty interesting stuff.

Most of my fear lies on my past exposure to toxins----so now I'm super sensitive to so many things, and even before this I had reverse of adverse reactions to certain meds. However, I did not have "allerigic reactions"---- ;)

I tolerated the CT die fine---------just the normal usual warm sensation everyone gets----------

Flop, the guy that set up the MRI was worried about the cardiac loop recorder because they are using a newer MRI with a stronger magnet. I told him I already had two MRIs with this loop recorder in, and he was still concerned. I told him to call the guy that downloads the recorder, and he gave him the ph# to the manufacturer of the device. It has to be downloaded before the MRI, and reset after----as the MRI makes it scramble....

Thanks for your encouragement.

Maxine :0)

It is interesting about the MRIs scrambling the loop recorder. The first MRI completely scrambled my reveal and they had to completely reset it and all the parameter, gain and everything.

I had my second MRI a couple of weeks ago and went recently to get the reveal reprogrammed - it was working fine, didn't need resetting or anything.

Seemed bizzare as both scans were done in the same scanner and both were bits of my head.