Low Dose Acht Test (cortisol)?

Tammy

Hello every bunny,

I'm scheduled to have a test for my cortisol levels and this time they want to check by doing an IV with a few blood draws before and after the IV med. (I had done a saliva test but my cardio doesn't feel that's very accurate). Has anyone ever had this test and if so, how did it go for you... Since I have lots of adrenaline rushes especially after stressful times and my system is extrememly sensative to any med, I'm a little bit scared of how I might react to the med they have to give me. Very much in need of some support or I fear I may very well just cancel the test and give up again on trying to pin point more of these problems. Thanks!

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

sound's like you're describing a short synachem test where they measure your serum cortisol levels before and after a dose of synacthen (synthetic ACTH). There was a recent thread about this started by Liz Britton - I've bumped it for you. (I hope bumping threads isn't against forum plicy and appologise if it is - my "brain fogged" brain can't remember and I don't have enough concentration powers to re-read the policy right now).

Flop

Tammy, I had this test a few years ago, I am also very sensitves to meds.,but I did not have any problems. I wish you the best on whatever you decide.Did your Doc. give you any insight? Good luck and keep us posted Pat

Hi Tammy,

I had this done last time I was in the hospital...I think my GI was checking for Addison's. I didn't have it. The test was absolutely simple- a big nothing. the drug didn't phase me in any way.

Julie

Hi there, I had this test last week, it was fine I felt a little bit strange when the doctor gave me meds but I'm like that with paracetamol, and it passed quickly. All in I was in the ward for about 35mins and I was able to walk home. I am still waiting on the results.

Take care

Liz B

Actually, saliva tests are more accurate as they tell you what's in your tissues and available to be used by your body rather than what's just in your blood.

Good luck with the test tho!