Freaky Full Body Jerking?

dizzygirl

hello alll..

i was wondering,, as im sure that some of you get this?

do you get episodes where your body just spontaniously jerks? I dont quite know how to describe it other then that?

I keep going into these full body jerks.. then they make me really tired afterwards... Ill go to where i'll get a few in a row..and it will go on like this for several hours...i get it in my sleep or as im falling alseep i should say..too..

Just wondering if any of you get this.. and maybe waht is it? and waht do you do to stopit?

I found today I had them really bad.. and i got really cold too.. and was shaking uncontrollably from the inside out.. along with the jerking things... and that.. i got unbelievablly tired.. and went into this like sleep that was more like a coma.. for nearly 5 hours.. and once i woke up my skin felt onfire.. and i was tachy.

so sorry you're having to deal with this. i don't know much about it, but it actually sounds like something called dystonia. i do know that it's something that doesn't always have a lot of answers but you may want to look into it and see if it sounds familiar?

i hope you find some relief & answers soon,

<_< melissa

Guest Eliza

Yes, I have the same symptoms EVERY NIGHT! It can be really annoying. I have no idea what causes it and have wondered myself. Mine has become worse lately, so I will have to do some research on this. Just know that you aren't alone!

Guest tearose

I get sporadic jerks sometimes when falling asleep. I only get full body jerking when I am cold and then I really can shake! Also, when I am sick I get the full body shakes.

I hope you figure this out.

I get these jerks too. It usually happens if I'm having trouble falling asleep. I'll lay there for hours then out of the blue my whole body jerks really hard. Some times it really startles me. I usually feel wierd for a second before it happens. For me, once it happens I can finally fall asleep. After laying awake for hours, once I jerk hard, I know I'll be asleep within 15 min.

I also get these durring the day sometimes. I'm not sure what it is. It may be what's called "sleep starts" from what I've read on the net.

It is supposed to be quite normal to have these jerking movements when you are almost asleep - it is something to do with the brain electrical activity patterns changing as we go to sleep. People both with and without POTS experience them.

Shaking episodes with a fever (I can feel really cold when I have a fever) are called "rigors" and are related to the body's temperature being abnormal.

Flop

thanks folks.. its good to know that im not alone !

I do get the full body jerking when im awake as well as just before sleep.. But I think I know why i had them so bad the other day.. I have a bad UTI...and my system is in a tailspin...

hopefully they will settle down in the coming days...

I do get the full body jerk sometimes,it always startles me,there does not seem to be a pattern to my jerking episodes.I also get tachy and warm then in a couple of minutes ,I get so cold I am shaking,the body jerks and my shaking episodes do not happen at the same time. P

Just sending you a big fat hug.

I've had the body jerks, but I'm not sure they are the same thing your getting.

I hope those scary jerking episodes go away----------------You know I'm always concerned about you Dizz, i'm also keeping you in my prayers all the time.

Maxine :0)

My body does that too....you having a UTI could very well be a trigger. I know if I do too much I will get these jerks. It's really scary sometimes! ((HUGS))

Your description sounds like "sleep jerks," or myoclonus, which can happen in completely healthy people when they are falling asleep. It is apparently more common and more serious in people with disorders of the "ion channels," which are the gateways through which charged particles like sodium and potassium ions enter and leave the cell and in people with electrolyte imbalances.

http://hkpp.org/physicians/myoclonus_rep.html

OK I was first diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and sleep apnea. When they did follow up sleep apnea studies they recorded the full body jerking and gave me a diagnosis for that. It is called PLMD. Period Limb Movement Disorder. There are different medications that can help. Good Luck.

I was diagnosed with RLS and PLMD like Stevie by my PCP. She put me on Requip, which is specifically for those disorders, but I really didn't like the stuff. Although, for the life of me I can't remember why. It was expensive; I remember that much! :)

I still get the jerks once in a while. My poor husband - he's always getting kicked. The only way I can get to sleep now is if I do this little "marching in place" routine without picking my toes up off the floor for about 500 steps. It relaxes my legs, seems to burn off what must be adrenaline, and then, I can finally fall asleep. It kills me the next day, though. I'm thinking about asking my doctor for Clonazepam/Klonopin. I've read that might be of some good.

So... sick... of... medication! argh! ;)

hey thanks for all the helpfull information! ;)

I had a sleep study done back in 2004.. which they said was fine..Uh to get accuratly tested... and positive results do i need to be having a flare up of these things?

or can they dx it either way?

i was on klonopin when i had my sleep study in 2002.. maybe that is why it was so normal! lol..

Hmm... I'm not sure. I've never actually had a sleep test. My doctor diagnosed me based on symptoms, which at the time were:

"Hi, um, I jerk and kick in my sleep; my husband can't get any sleep due to being rudely kicked awake and has moved to the couch... I'm lonely!" ;)

hee hee hee