Medicare Appeal For Coverage

Rachel

My Medicare coverage just started this month, so I'm still trying to figure out how everything works. I called the Medicare people today and asked if compression hose were covered. The girl I spoke to said that they generally weren't, but that I could send in my receipt, a copy of the prescription, and appeal for coverage.

Have any of you ever appealed for coverage of compression hose? Did you have any luck with it? I'm just wondering if it is worth a try.

Rachel

rachel hi...

Um do you by chance have medicaid as well as medicare? It been my experience in the state that i live in the i dont believe medicare has ever covered any of my compression hose...

but my medicaid has.. I recently found out when getting new hose.. that medicaid will cover compression hose in full.. and that they will also cover 2 new pair every 6 months with perscription of course.. and its covered in full..

Im not certain of how it works in goergia.. but if you have medicaid i would call them and ask the of coverage in your state

good luck dear i hope that you get something figured out

No, I don't have Medicaid right now. I've had it in the past, though, and they covered my compression hose. It has been over a year since I've gotten new hose and mine is pretty worn out! So I have no choice but to order some new pairs. I just can't afford it. So I'm hoping I can get coverage from Medicare. We shall see.

• 2 months later...

Dear Rachel,

Hello! :) I have appealed for coverage of compression hose, but was denied. However, I found some inexpensive hose at Walgreens (Futuro brand). The pharmacy there orders it in when I request it. I get the large, waist-high, firm support ones, for I think $26.

Love,

Catherine

Thanks, Catherine. I hadn't heard of that brand. That is a good price. I checked online, but didn't find any in 30-40 compression. Do you know if Futuro makes that strength of compression?

Sorry to hear you were denied coverage for compression hose. I'm still working on getting my appeal together, but I'm not getting my hopes up for reimbursement!

Rachel