Why Did You Have A Colonoscopy??

GI motility is an issue that many of us with ANS problems face--in order to rule out other causes for the dysmotility, I've pretty much been scoped from end to end (upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, and full GI series with disgusting contrast).

yep, i'm with mightymouse.

i have had colonoscopy, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and all before the age of 20! crazy.

most of the testing was for unexplained nausea for me/ and weight loss.

funny though how they started with all the INVASIVE tests before starting with NONINVASIVE TESTS first.

the sigmoid they werent going to do on me because a year prior they had done the colonoscopy (and all was normal)..........but i was having some problems with having "stuff" come out that was white. they found out that i had colitis and the white stuff (sorry, gross i know) was dead WBC's trying to fight the infection. i no longer have colitis.

they finally did the NONINVASIVE TEST ON ME (gastric emptying) this past september and found the gastroparesis. makes me mad that they put me through all those invasive tests and called me crazy essentially after all the tests came back normal and never ever ran a gastric emptying study on me to check for gastroparesis until just recently (which they say gastroparesis is COMMON IN YOUNG WOMEN?? so if it's so common, i really wonder why they didnt run that test first and foremost before all the invasive tests because generally 19 year olds dont have colon cancer!)

anyway.....

so that's my story! :)

Motility, colitis, diverticulitis.... I've had small bowel follow through, sigmoidoscopy, gastric emptying, manometry, gastros, dilations, colonoscopies, you name it. Oh, PH testing, that was awful, a wire through my nose, down my throat and into the esophagus for 24 hours. I have so many spasms, it pulled on the wire and caused an ulceration in my nose that took forever to go away.

They have all been abnormal. The only things I ever have done that they can't argue with, but insist I wouldn't have if i wasn't abused as a child. That so CHEEZES me off. My husband and both sons have GI problems, as does my dad, sister, brother and just about 90% of people I know, but no one says that's what causes their discomfort and problems......it would mean, of course, that about 99% of the population of the earth has been abused......hmmmmmm and have multiple "psych" disorders like me....at least i'm not in the minority LOL :lol:

i have had upper and lower scopes done and a kazillion of other creepy tests done for GI stuff.. only to come up with no real answers!

I had my first colonoscopy at 17 i think.. since 17 i think ive had 2 colonsocopy's and 3 endoscopy's...they have done these to rule out what not really sure.. but symptoms wise uncontrollable vomitting and diarrheea played a big part as well as bleeding issues....

most tests done before diagnosed with dysautonomia.. and once i was diagnosed the last colonoscopy i had done back in may 2006.. the gi doc told me that POTS DOES NOT afeect your tummy! i was floored like yea ok there doc.....tell that to all my potsy friends!

I've had upper and lower scopes- joked with my friends about being made a spit-roast- a scope at each end!

The upper wasn't bad but the sedative wore off way too quickly with th elower and I was in a LOT OF PAIN

make sure you get a sedative. Dont do it without, esp if you have a tender tummy/bowel.

I found out I had food intolerances, but they were looking for signs of Crohns/inflammation because my tummy had become relaly sore and distended, i was getting terrible abdominal pains like appendicitis and was passing blood.

Iknow now that if I avoid food like wheat and milk then this doesn't happen and I can avoid my symptoms.

hope you get some answers and get through the scopes ok. xx

For me it was to rule out IBD. They tested me for Celiac disease and checked various vitamin and mineral levels to see if there was a malabsorption problem, but when that came back OK he wanted a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy because of my various GI symptoms. In the end it was nerve damage attributed to autonomic neuropathy, and I now take a medicine to help "slow me down".

I was also tested for celiac sprue b/c my GI doc felt that I have it. My biopsy was inconclusive, but I hadn't really been eating any gluten for years before the test and he wanted me to eat if for 14 days prior to the exam--however, I couldn't tolerate it; my guts just went haywire, and my belly distended like a beach ball after day 5 or 6. So, based on symptoms, he made the dx b/c I just couldn't eat another piece of wheat bread or pizza (even though I crave it).

I always joke with my doctors about the how barbaric the tests are in this day and age of technology... ;) yes, let us stick a long hose down your throat while you're still awake... hmmm... yes, that's a good plan... ;) and you want another hose WHERE? :o:huh::ph34r: Ouch! :);)

Nina

You guys are too funny!!

I do NOT want to do the colonoscopy - I'm scheduled for the endoscopy at the same time. Yes, rotisserie style!

I was also tested for Celiac, but my bloodwork came back within normal limits. I am doubtful that the colonoscopy will find anything because I don't have ANY GI symptoms. None. I just hate to have to go through the prep and possible POTSY symptoms when my anemia could possibly be due to heavy periods.