Compression Hose

Rachel

Hi Everyone,

I think most of us here wear compression hose, so I'm hoping that some of you can help me with my dilemmas!

One: It is starting to get hot down here in Georgia. I don't tolerate temperatures over 70 degrees F very well. And it is impossible for me to sit in the sun at 70 degrees. How do you deal with heat and having to wear compression hose? Do you wear them under pants? Long lightweight skirts? I've never lived in the south before while having to wear these, so I'm trying to figure out what to do!

Two: How do you keep from getting ingrown hairs? If I shave my legs then I get ingrown hairs after about 5 days, unless I pick one or two days to go without my compression hose (which doesn't always turn out so well for me!).

Three: I can't often shave my legs; it is just too hard. But when the hairs get too long then my legs itch while wearing the hose. And then I can't wear them all day long. Do you know any tricks to alleviate the itchiness a bit?

Looking forward to hearing your greatest compression hose tips!

Rachel

Rachel!

I pretty much stay inside all the time in the air conditioning. It is so weird to hear you talk about it getting hot there when there is a winter storm watch in effect here!

As for what to wear. Honestly, I got to the point where I didn't care if my hose showed b/c they are skin color anyways. Most people could care less. So, I wear shorts and usually lightweight cotton stuff with elastic waists for more breathability. I also sometimes wear skorts. Before I was so sick I always wore long skirts and dresses, but it got to be too much and since I don't really get to leave my house, I just wear shorts now!

As for the ingrown hairs, I would call the pharamacist or ask your PCP this week perhaps. I think there is a product called something like TenSkin that people use after waxing to keep from getting the pimples, and I wonder if something like that could help you with the irritation from the hose.

My hose often cause the ingrown hairs also but for some reason, lately I haven't had such a problem. I started using the Schick Intuition razor which has the cartridege that acts as shavegel and the razor all in one. They are a little more expensive than the traditional shave gel/razor combination, but man, you can shave soooo fast and I have had much less trouble with the ingrown hairs. Maybe b/c I keep up with shaving more frequently this way? Not sure.

This is gross, but I would always have to 'pop' the ingrown hair zits or almost scrape them out...it is annoying.

Hope you find some solutions!

Later alligator!

Emily

Guest tearose

Hi Rachel, I can't live without compression so I do whatever I must to keep them on. I love skirts and I will spray some cold water on my hose in 100 degree weather if I really need to. I also will tend to stay in the shade or ac if it is really hot. The newest JUZO style is much thinner and they look like regular support hose, not as bulky as full compression however they are still the heavy compression. Have you seen these yet? Also, there are full compression hose with "exposed toes" which were fun and different to try for the hot summer. The funky part was that even though I could wear them with open toe sandals, the heel which is sewn and reinforced was still visible! I think the key is to get open toe, closed heel sandals and then try those hose. If compression helps you like it helps me, we will do anything it takes to keep them on!!!

I don't notice the in grown hair problem very often and it usually is only one hair and it resolves in a week or so. If this is an issue for you and it keeps you from compression hose, can you check this out with a dermatologist? I bet they have something that would help!

I tried several lotions for when my legs feel itchy and this is usually in the cold of winter and my skin feels dry. I find the vaseline intensive care lotion soothing, not greasy and no fragrance.

Oh, if you could only send us some of that 70 degrees!

Want some wintry mix???

best regards, tearose

When it's hot, I wear my cooling vest. I got mine from CoolSport, but there may be other places to get something similar--mine stays cool for about 2 hours.

Nina

Thank you all for the help.

Do all of you wear waist high compression hose? I haven't tried those because I have a hard enough time getting the thigh high ones on. I'm not sure if I could pull the waist high ones up and down all day to go to the bathroom. Is it difficult? Do you get too sweaty in waist high?

Emily, I usually have to wear knee high hose because the thigh high ones are too hard to put on. So those would look kind of funny in shorts I guess!! But waist high would look okay.

Nina, thanks for the Cool Sport link. I'll check that out.

Tearose, I don't think I have seen the new JUZO hose you are talking about. I'll have to look for them. I do have a pair of thigh highs in a different brand that look like regular nylon hose (but are 30-40 mmHg compression), but they are too hard for me to get on. I end up lying on the floor huffing and puffing! Hopefully the JUZO ones will be better. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I have some hose without toes. They are nice for wearing sandals!

I'll send you the 70 degrees if you can send some winter my way!!!! :o Although today is rainy and 50 degrees. Kinda yucky. Actually, it's kind of an all around yucky day. Our back van window was shot out this morning. So now everything (including my wheelchair which was in the back of the van) is covered in water and glass shards. What a day! But now I'm going off topic...

Thanks for the help,

Rachel

Guest tearose

Rachel, yes, yes the waist high are my favorite. Don't worry about bathroom use, the tightest parts are the feet and as they move up your leg, the compression lessens. Sliding the top down and up is not hard. You sure will have to struggle a little to get them on first in the morning, this doesn't change, but the good part of the struggle is that this counts as aerobic exercise :o and will help you stay "conditioned"! I do understand how hard this is! I have had to lay down to catch my breath at times! I also have a swelling problem with my left arm and I put my arm compression first to help not hurt my arm while putting on my pantyhose!! :) Always a challenge for us funky peeps!!!

Oh, I looked at the style number of the new Juzo I mentioned earlier that are easier and lighter but still full compression...the style is #4602.

Look into these, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

best regards, tearose

HEllo! Hello!!!

I have ALL of these problems with stockings :( I'm hoping to remeber all your questions, so lets see,

I do wear my stockings year round, when I go in the heat, I make sure that I am well hydrated and have had enough electrolytes, but then I will bring ice packs in the cooler with my water and a little towel. When I get hot I wrap the towel around the ice pack and either place it under my legs, on the back of my neck or wherever I'm hot! I helps some.

O gosh, i get terrible in grown hairs, and have wondered if it's related to the stockings, they hurt but I've never done anything about it.

As far as itching goes sometimes I have that problem ,it used to be ALOT worse, but I've gotten most of it under control. I make sure to moisturize well, but notice that I get athletes foot alot and that is a big problem. it may be more so then dryness, at least for me it was. I guess its athletes leg really, I get it on my feet, under my knees and sparatic patches on my legs. For that I use the medicated cream, wash my feet and legs really well everyday with felsnaptha soap, and use tea tree oil at night!

Hope this helps, o as for what to wear, I wear them under pants, and I wear them with shorts, even though its awkward I suck it up b.c it helps so much. Since I was doing better last summer I got out more and noticed that since I'm so shot my legs don't touch the floor, that puts pressure on my legs and causes me to feel worse. So what I decided to do was wear wedges or heels all the time and for that reason I felt a little funny with shorts, so I wore skirts when I went out,and will probably do that this summer as well!

one again hope this helps,~Madeline

p.s. have you thought about having someone help you get the stockings on? my mom helped me when I was at my weakest! Has any one notice carpal tunnel develop for putting the stockings on and off?

Hi Rachel,

I use an Epilady type device to remove hair from my legs. I have been doing this for years. I have a lot less hair on my legs from doing using the Epilady, and the hair grows in a lot slower and thinner. Some people find it painful. It does hurt a little at first, but not at all anymore. I have really dry skin, so when I shave, I just wind up cutting myself or getting razor burn.

I usually just leave my ingrown hairs - luckily, mine aren't painful. But a good way to prevent them is to exfoliate using a loofah or scrub if you are able. Or you could try TendSkin as Emily suggested. That's the product for ingrown hairs - and there are a couple of other brands out there too. They're salycilic acid, which is the same indgredient as in OTC acne medicaiton.

I usually wear the opaque compression hose in the winter, then I switch to the more nylony ones in the spring. Once it gets hot, I don't wear my stockings outside. I find that I'm extremely sensitive to temperature - cold too,. but especially the heat. I had actually put my hose away for a while, but now I am back to wearing them So we will see what happens this summer. I am hoping that I can use Midodrine instead of the hose.

It's funny that you posted this topic, because I have been having my on struggles with compression hose, though different than yours. For me, they are so tight and uncomfortable. I find that the Jobst opaque ones are easier to put on. But I can't tolerate the ones up to my stomach, because they give me reflux. I think they dry out my skin by absorbing the oil - mosturizing helps, but I can't do this as much as I need to because of the stupid hose. And I just don't like that constant squeezing feeling. When I put them on, I feel like I want to take them off right away and I am so relieved when they are finally off.

-Rita

Rachel,

Here's a post in which I ramble extensively about choosing a waist-high brand....

I gotta scoot fast....just realized what time it is...

This whole thread is good.

I just did a search for 'Sigvaris' and 'DancingLight' (match exact user name) and search entire post, and just got this hit and one other (a post by Kathy Ireland).

So maybe you can find it! :)

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...amp;hl=Sigvaris

I will write more later....

Love, Em

Thank you, everyone, for the help.

Tearose, thanks for giving the style number. I appreciate that. I'll be buying some more stockings soon, so I will try those out.

Madeline, I've had my husband help me put the hose on, but it didn't work very well!! It was actually harder than doing it myself. And quite a comical scene I'm sure. But he does take them off for me, which helps a lot.

Emily, thanks for the like. That has some good info. I'll have to try the Sigvaris brand too. I've never tried it before.

Again, thank you, everyone, for all of the help and suggestions.

Rachel

rachel -

while my compression hose struggles aren't the same exact issues you're having, i can empathize to a degree as i've had to abandon mine entirely as of late. when i first started wearing them (waist high 30-40mmHg) they were a huge help to me and while the help diminished over the years, they still were beneficial.

my two issues were that i started getting a rash from them due to my moody skin and that the abdominal pressure - though less than lower down - increased my reflux & vomiting related to my gastroparesis. the rash was itchy, yes, but also visable red bumps. this was the case regardless of the brand and likely related to a reaction my skin has to pressure (dermatagraphia). not sure if they'll be a way around this but eh well. as for the GI issues, i'm thinking of giving some thigh-highs a try, though these days getting them on may be more of a struggle since i'm physically weaker. i guess we'll have to wait and see :) .

but anyhoo, i guess i'm just rambling & not saying too much of help. in the past i wore my hose most always though in the warmest most humid conditions they hurt more than helped in terms of what they did to me temperature-wise. but mostly i wore them all the time. and b/c they helped so much i didn't care at all about their visability. i was a big fan of the open toed ones as well b/c they allowed me to wear sandals in the summer & fun toe-socks in the winter.

hope you figure out some solutions soon...

B) melissa

Rachel!

I'm back! B) I know, you can hardly contain your excitement! So, I can ramble more about compression hose!

Here's the other link:

Oh, poop, it didn't work...

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...amp;hl=Sigvaris

Yeah, there we go.

Okay, so, sorry I had to rush off before and seem so rude...All the sudden I realized my caregiver was here, ready with dinner and I had to get a move on.

Anyways, I wanted to add a couple more things....

I LOVE the Juzo brand the best--and especially the style that Tearose mentioned. They are fantastic.

The one trade off for more sheer hose is that they are less durable and run more easily. But, I do love them. I switched to the Sigvaris, like I said, b/c of the need for abdominal compression. With the Juzo, there is a line/seam where the compression stops, and I would have my thighs swelling about that point.

One nice thing with the Sigvaris, is that b/c they compress the whole way up, there is no seam/line that you can see with shorts.

I'm like Melissa about hose...I could care less about how they look if I can get up. (Which now I can't do much, but hey, another story for another day)...and I wore sandals etc.

I'm the only one it seems that doesn't like the open toe though--they made my toes go numb.

I don't know why I ramble so much about this topic and birth control pills, but I think it is because I searched SOOOOO long and so hard to figure out these brands and textures and all that that I just want to HELP someone not have to go through all that hassle.

I really do recommend calling Ames Walker, talking to Frances and telling her my name and that you know me and blah de blah and she will tell you what I buy.

One thing you mentioned is difficulty putting hose on and that is why you don't wear the waist high ones. Do you turn them wrong side out and then just keep enough to pull over your foot, then pull the rest on? Sorry, easier to look at the diagram.

What brand are you wearing now?

I found that Jobst were much less managable. I also know that Nina wears the Ames Walker brand without problem and I found them impossible to put on--b/c they have no stretch to them. But, they are way cheaper...

That is the one thing with the sheer Juzo--they are very stretchy. As are the Opaque Sigvaris, but not so much for the sheer ones, which are the ones I wear. I don't have a problem putting hose on usually--and this is bizarre b/c I can't seem to do anythign else without problems?! :)

We're so used to picturing hose as the ones that our parents or grandparents wore that were very stiff and white. The technology is so amazing now that they can still compress but have the double stretch in them to make them easier to put on. But, they are also more expensive than the ones that don't have these special fabrics. I really talked through with Frances what my needs were and what was important to me. So, if ease of putting them on is a big factor, ask her about ones that have more stretch. It's worth a shot.

I do remember in the past that some folks swear by the tools that they make to put hose on. I think AmesWalker carries these also.

I probably wear my hose out faster than one should b/c I am not at all good about 'easing them on' and blah de blah, I do just pull at them! But, if I didn't, I would NEVER get them on! So, maybe that's why I'm not struggling to get them on????

Also, I wanted to let you know that Ames Walker is having a president's day sale NOW. It ends Wednesday already! But, the fliers came late! So, anyways, it's 10% off plus free shipping, which is a good deal. If you don't get through, sometimes they are really busy, so when you call and do get through, if it is after the sale--TELL THEM you tried calling during the sale and they will still give you the discount!

Hope these ramblings helped and didn't just totallywear you out!!!!!!!!!!!

Later alligator!

Emily

Thank you Melissa and Emily.

Em, don't worry about the long post. I love your posts. You always make me smile. :)

Thanks for the info on the sale!!! I will be purchasing a pair of the Juzo style that you and Tearose suggested.

Let's see...you asked what I'm wearing now. Ummmm...I don't remember! I think one of them is Juzo. I have no idea what the other one is!

After 'while, Crocodile!

Rachel

Rachel,

For me, the biggest challenge with the hose is getting them over my heel. On bad days, I have to get my 6' 4" strong husband to pull them over my feet.

I, too, am in Georgia and wore the pantyhose, as my thigh are just too chunky to fit the small legs part...and I got better help. Like the others, I stayed indoors most of our humid GA summers, but I always wore pants (self conscious) and just stood it, except for one day around 2002 when it was 102 degrees in Atlanta. We POTS people are stuff cookies.

Thanks for mentioning the gastroparesis and hose - never made the connection - and I thought I was the only one with that ailment.

I've posted before about my hand problems putting them on. I do seem able to get them over the heel allright-- it's the rest of the way that's the problem.

I always get open toe, and then you can get these little satin footies. Put the footies on first, and then the stockings just slide right over your whole foot. You then pull the footies out.

Baby powder is a good choice to help with hose...

Also, for those of you having trouble getting it over the heel? Are you following the directions that come with them illustrating how to put them on?

Just curious, b/c when I do it that way, it is a breeze. Any other way and it is impossible.

It's hard to describe. But, I start with the hose right side out.

Put my hand through them, and pull them up on my arm all the way to the foot.

Then, pull the off of my arm by turning them INSIDE OUT.

STOP pulling the hose this way when what you have left on your hand is the foot and heel of the hose (still right side out) and the rest of the hose wrong side out.

Then, gently pull it off of your hand keeping the foot part right side out.

Pull the hose over your foot and heel.

Then, finish putting the rest of the hose on, turning them right side out while you pull them over your foot.

Hope this helps!

Later alligators!

Emily

Emily,

Yes, I put them on starting with them mostly inside out. I don't know how to explain it, but you explained it well! It does make it much easier to get the hose over my heel. I do still have trouble getting them up all the way after that. But you're right, it makes it lots easier then starting with them completely right side out and tugging everything over the heel.

Rachel

Rachel,

I'll be interested to see how you do with the new Juzos--the sheer ones. I am pretty sure the style tearose was referring to is the one I have, but I get them mixed up b/c there is a 4601 too I think?

I have really found that the fabrics for the different brands are VERY different and make a lot of difference in ease of putting them on, comfort, and texture.

For instance the Juzo are by far the softest, silkiest ones I have ever tried (in the sheer)...I don't care for some of their other styles as much. They also have two-way stretch fabric, which makes a huge difference.

Gee, the things we become experts in eh? Good grief!

Emily

Guest tearose

I think the difference Emily, is the level of compression.

4601 is the 20-30mm also called class or compression 1.

4602 is the 30-40mm also called class 2.

the style is the same.

tearose