Update On My Mom's Blood Clots/condition

Maxine

Hi,

Thanks so much for all your help and support----------------I never knew there could be clots that big.

The vascular surgeon implanted a screen into her vena-cava-(spelling?) which will prevent further clots from traveling to her lungs or heart. The clots will take a while to disolve completely, but the blood thinners are working, and they have a newer injectable drug she will receive at home along with the meds she is currently on. ---------(I hope I have it right)--still a little confused, but my dad has a handle on it.

They will have a visiting nurse three times a week, and I think she will have physical therapy at home too. Not to worry--Dad will also make her move more also. The vascular surgeon warned if she doesn't move, she will end up right back in the hospital. That doesn't mean she has to run a marathon, just move.......

The bladder tumor can't be removed until things are more stable which will be at least 6 weeks. At first they were going to try to stop blood thinners briefly and try to remove it---but it would be too risky, so they will wait. The urologist thinks the tumor is contained, and the cancer won't spread.

Thankfully the brain CT was normal---so no worrys there-- :)

Hopefully my mother will work with her docs to get her stable so they can remove that tumor. She goes home from the hospital today.

Thanks for all your prayers too------------- :)

Maxine :0)

Maxine,

Glad to hear your mom is going home. My mother also was in the hospital for blood clots a couple of years ago and it is very scary. She had one in her lung and one in her leg. She is now on coumidan daily and has sence been tested and found that alog with her afib she has a blood discorder known as Factor V Leiden, which causes your blood to be to thick and clot. She started having TIA's (mini strokes) and was started on Plavix (another thinner) as well. To make a long story short, for her surgery and such she had to admitted to the hospital, taken off the thinners in pill form and put on heprin by IV. They stop this the day of her prodecure, do what needs to be done and start the heprin back that afternoon, as well as the pills. When her levels get in therapudic range they stop the heprin and send her home. We have done this several times. Maybe when your mom's health gets better, they can do something like this to remove the tumor she has.

I wish her, you and your family the best and will keep you all in my prayers.

Sorry I am chiming in so late....I hope your mom is able to have the tumor out ASAP...Lets hope the clots dissolve soon as well.

Jacquie

Thanks again for your support. My mother is still holding her own, but just started out with cold.

My Dad keeps her moving, and she gets tired easily.

Her clots are from lack of movement----that is why she got a bed sore on her tailbone area.

She is just really bad about moving around-------but hopefully this latest scare will motivate her to move more,

Hugs to all of you------- :(

Maxine

Hello Maxine, I've just been reading the post's about your mum , so sorry you to have had a bad start to 2007 , we are just about over it all now and I do hope that your mum feels better soon , its such a worry and if your like me , you'd rather be the one who's ill than see the ones you love suffer .

My best wishes to you and your family . Willows ( Ami)

Hi Maxine, I'm sorry you've had such a difficult start to 2007. And I'm sorry you're mom has had such difficulty with blood clots. I'm glad to hear she is doing better and back home. How is she doing now? Is she continuing to stay motivated to move around?

Sorry I'm so late to the post...

Hope 2007 gets better for you.

Hugs,

Rachel

Thanks Rachel and Willows for your concern and support----it was really sweet of you :(

My mother is hanging in there, but she really isn't moving around much because she feels so sick.

She is having some pretty wicked headaches from whatever is pressing on her optic nerve. She has lost most of the sight in that eye---almost completely blind. She can still see out of her other eye.

Today she goes into see the eye doctors, and I'll know more after that. I went there on Wednesday night so our grand daughter could open up her Christmas presents. I know this sounds a bit late, but my son and his girlfriend have terribly busy schedules -----both managers at Starbucks, and both going to school. They went to Maryland to be with her grandparents for Christmas--- :lol: My son Mike plans to marry Carlie, and we basically adopted her little daughter as our grandchild. She is not my son's daughter. She (Kaela) calls me Ju Ju, and my husband Grandpa Ron. Too cute---at some point I'll get some pictures together.

My mom still has to contend with her other health problems, and she has to wait several weeks for the blood clot issues to become stable. My mood has been kind of bad lately---a bit stressed with my health issues, and my guts are feeling so ------------well you know.......... Slowest bowels in the universe, and the bloating makes me want to scream. shocked3.gif

I'm still struggling with a lot of potsy symptoms, and haven't been able to do much----but grateful for what I can do.

You all take care----------------- BIG HUGS :P

Maxine :0)