Menstrual Weakness

mkoven

hi everyone,

I'm head long into pms, and have noticed that over the past several cycles, I've felt oddly weak. I don't mean tired, but clumsy--like I can't quite get nerves to fire from head to toe. It's passed each month, but I don't know how to understand it--blood sugar? potassium?

Whenever I mention that anything is menstrually related, my doctors usually blow it off, but I know that something profound happens to my whole system. I get itchy, fainty, cold sweats, wanting to vomit, heart racey-- all my normal symptoms amplifed by a factor of 10.

I get way more symptomatic during my menses... my ans doc said it's common with those of us with ans problems b/c our hormones are shifting... Like you, I feel clumsy, and weak.

Nina

yup me too.. my fainting is worse during this time

you can try salt/fluid loading more then usual during this time... and extra sleep.. only thing that i can think of that helps me a smidge anyways...

feel better

I suspect I suffer from Hypovolemia, imagine what happens to me then. My menstruation usually lasts for around 1 week, it is painful and I have many blood clots. Of course, I do feel weak and dizzy. Even lightheaded and sometimes with nauseas and hungry.

I always have to eat more (sweets and salty food) plus drink plenty of water before, during and after it.

Try to have a relaxed menstruation, rest more and do not eat fatty food. Avoid what triggers yours symptoms. That?s what I do.

Take care,

Love,

Tessa

i still have yet to actually start, but am achey, and keep hitting the wall energy-wise. I was standing at the register paying for purchases and suddenly felt shaky and RAVENOUS, even though I"d had a big lunch 90 minutes before. All afternoon I've been so hungry and shaky, like my blood sugar is out of whack. I eat and the an hour later, starving again, and weak/shaky. And my lips are itching and quivering---WEIRD.

My symptoms get so bad around that time that my Dr. changed my birth control so that I'm on a three month cycle instead of just one. It's really helped.

i now supress my period via birth control (so that i have one 2-3 times a year). i've been doing this for years. currently i'm using NuvaRing & really like it b/c it's not problematic when i can't keep a pill down (due to gastroparesis.)

when i did have "normal" periods my worst days were the few days before my period. i always had to take extra midodrine (with doc's okay) and still was often entirely down for the count (at a time in my life where, compared to now, i was able to be more active, i.e. work with accomadations, etc). dr. grubb explained to me once that everyone's BP drops a bit before her period but in "normal" folks the body adjusts & it's not noticable. but it some/many folks with dysautonomia or particularly low BPs to begin with the body can't adjust to the change so well and thus the problem. this speaks just to problems pre-period though, which was my primary issue. i never really had problems once my flow began.

the one other change for me though was that my periods became very irregular in the midst of significant illness progression for me after being REALLY regular since i first started menstruating at age 9 (yikes, i know...it was miserable at the time :) ). this made the bad "before days" worse b/c i didn't know when they were coming so couldn't plan ahead with med changes, etc. when i was regular i knew what would happen like clockwork but when i stopped being able to go by the calendar my first notice of an approaching period was often ending up unconscious.

:P melissa