Good News--finally!

mkoven

In the middle of my cruddy health, I've been trying to work. I've been on the tenure track at U of Illinois since 1999, and sick since 2002. Anyway, my boss just told me this morning that the college voted in favor of my tenure case. There are still a couple more stages, but that was a big hurdle. Yay! I'm hoping that this will bring my stress level down. If I were feeling less nauseated and faint, I'd want to go out and CELEBRATE tonight...it will be a pretty mellow tummy-friendly evening, methinks.

But this punctuates the last eight years of my life-- and longer if you count all the work before. And just in time for my 40th birthday.

It's still so hard to believe! I've been living with this precarious sense for so long. We did manage to go out last night for a mini-celebration. But even without huge festivities, this is a gift that will keep on giving...

It would be nice to see my body get on board with the good news, but I fear that's more complicated.

That is WONDERFUL news!!!

Both of my parents are university profs, so that is the only life I know...and I know how hard it is nowadays to get tenure!!!!!!!

What do you teach?

My parents are both Sociologists...

It is a big relief to get tenure and be srue that you are at one place to stay now, and not have to worry about the insecurity of starting over again somewhere else....

Emily

Michele,

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Sounds like a fascinating combination of interests! If you are up to it could you tell me what courses you teach or your areas of research interest??? I would love to hear how you combine those disciplines...

Sounds like 40 is off to a good start!!!!

Like I said, my parents are both sociologists, and despite swearing that I would not go into a social science...surprise, surprise...I majored in psychology with a concentration in medical humanties and few pre-med courses thrown into the mix! :) I've never been able to 'use' my degree beyond navigating the healthcare system as a patient...but it has helped me enormously and I am grateful for it.

Whew! Tenure must feel so good!!!!!!!! :)

Emily

I teach courses that address the cultural dimensions of communication. For undergrads I teacj a couple different "intercultural communication" classes. One is very applied and helps to prepare students who are about to study abroad. My own interests are in the relationships between language and identity. I grew up bilingual and often felt like I was a different person in my two languages. And my research looks at the identity-creating dimensions of bilingualism.

I feel fortunate that I get to teach and research stuff that really interests me. And in all, it's pretty flexible. No one really cares when I put in my time, as long as I cover my classes and publish research. But then the expectations for research are not so forgiving...but tenure relaxes that some.

Thanks for the interest! It's a dangerous thing to get me started though!!!

I'm lucky in that my health problems didn't really start until after graduate school, and after I'd started my job here for a couple years. But the past 4-5 years have been quite challenging.

your course & research interests (& experiences growing up) sound SO interesting. thanks for sharing them with us! (and thanks emily for prompting the sharing)

B) melissa