Do Some Times Of Year Bother You More??

Wufflebear

It seems like, although I have symptoms all year and fainting spells can come anytime, that from say November to April or May is worst. As a kid i figured it was worse cause I had more stresses to my system then... More pressure to be up in the morning etc.

Now, I work all year but it seems like still if I am going to go down for months at a time I can count on November/December thru April/May to be it.

I also know that last year I went "Home" to Kansas city for thanksgiving and was on the floor many times... I had a cold too and a very sick 3 year old on my hands.. but i remember thinking "I can never move back here cause I "feel it" again. The "It" being the unrestrained fainting and full on symptoms I had growing up.

I was in the shower, feeling progressivly lousier and got to thinking... I do my best thinking in the bathroom. lol

OK, all for now... Gotta get my feet up before there is a body over mind mutiny... lol

Historically, I've often started a downward slide in November and bottomed out in early March. That's been less true in recent years.

There are some seasonal factors that can affect your health. For a while, we thought I had Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is basically a sensitivity to lack of sunlight. It's treated with a Sunbox, which is an extremely bright, full-spectrum flourescent light source that you sit in front of for a couple of hours a day. It didn't work for me, but seems to help some.

I also have a dust allergy, which gets worse in the winter when the heat is on. All those dust particles from the vents get tossed into the air everytime the furnace kicks in. I have a hepa filter in my bedroom, and that seems to help some.

spike

This topic has come up pretty freqently on the forum. Perhaps you could do a search on it?

I do have seasonal worseing of symptoms, but only in the summer. I do best when it's cold out, so the winter has become my favorite time of year. It's funny because before I got sick, I only lived in tropical areas because I hated winter so much. Now I pray for snowy, cloudy days :(

Hi All,

Isn't it funny how we are all different. I with Dizzy, do better in the winter. I live with my daughter and she keeps the heater on for the kids and I have my bedroom window open and sleep in front of it. I can't breath when it gets too hot. The cold air is wonderful. I did read where alot of us have a harder time in cold weather.

Donna

My health is worse in the summer months. I don't tolerate heat well at all, which is why Alaska was such a great place to live! Unfortunately we've had to move to the south. I'm not looking forward to summer. Anything over 70 degrees is difficult for me. I do best with temperatures of 60-68, or even colder. Bring on 50 below!

Rachel

I only have had POTS for three years -- although I suppose that's long enough! -- but I do notice that every October, I start to feel crummy and start to feel better in late April or early May. I think it definitely has to do with sun exposure and vitamin D, even though I supplement with cod liver oil fortified with vit. D in the bad months. No idea.

Amy

I have dreaded autumn and winter. Best I can figure for me (by visiting a weather site daily), the barometric changes bother me the most. The faster and lower the pressure drops, the lower the oxygen density and the more lightheadedness I feel. My heart pounds more, too, even when it is not taching.

Yea, I have wondered about barometric changes. I think also it being cold out and then going in and out of heated environments, maybe does it too?? I know once I blacked out after sitting in a warm building and then standing outside in freezing temps for about 5 min. I felt fine coming out of the building but...

hey all,

it's wierd, my rates are alot better in the winter (i am guessing because vasodilation is less in the colder climate, whereas with summer there is a lot of vasodilation cuz of the heat) but symptomatically i feel worse in the winter. figure THAT one out! i hate the cold. strange how that works!

hmm well i do cruddy thru the whole year.. though looking back over the past few years id have to say that I do better in the month of september only...

the changes of the seasons are allways quite hard on me.. especially fall going into winter.. and sspring going into summer.........

i do severely worse in the winter and summer months..bad in the spring.. am sorta status quo in sptember... usually followed by sever bronchitus come octber! and its down hill from there