Daily Sodium Intake?

pamyla

I'm just curious, how much sodium does everyone take daily? And do you take it in supplement form or get it mainly from food?

I think I get about 2,000 to 2,500 mg a day, and I'm wondering if I'm at a good amount or if I could do with more sodium. I typically get mine from eating canned soup, pickles, popcorn, etc.

I don't know mine either. I just dump salt on everything I possibly can- even things that are already salty. When I see high sodium labels on foods, I grab them, lol!! I should pay more attention one day so I can get a better idea...

I do the same, just dump salt on everything that doesn't taste nasty salted (and some that do too :P ). I also add salt to my daily glasses of gatorade. Don't know if it works or not but I feel puffy when I do it enough. Actually, I guess it works a little cause if I don't drink as much and LOAD up on tons of salt, I can tell it the next day-sx get worse(If that is possible ;) )

:rolleyes::)

Danelle

• 2 weeks later...

Got a specific answer today from cardiologist -- three to five grams a day is best -- more if you're highly symptomatic. I've seen a medical journal article co-authored by Dr. Grubb that recommends this amount as well. (plus 2 to 2.5 liters of water a day)

1 teaspoon salt = 2,400 mg (or 2.4 grams) So Pamyla, you might want to try doubling your salt intake!

Best,

merrill

PS One of those salt packets is about 1/8 of a teaspoon.

Michelle, in reply a different post, you wrote "The salt tablets just kill me." What did you mean by that? Why do you have a hard time with them?

I just ordered some from the pharmacist -- 1 gram each -- because I've started doing a better job of monitoring and calculating my intake and realized I need some help in that department. (Despite all I do to get 3-5 grams by adding salt to food and gatorade, it's just not enough.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to ease the way with these things? (I've heard they can be hard on the stomach--so do you take with a meal? Avoid at bedtime?)

Thanks,

m

Hi Merrill,

I've developed stomach issues in the last year or so. I take nexium now, which really helps. I have bad reflux and the salt tablets can make it worse, so I just don't take them anymore. I still can drink pedialyte and liberally salt my food, but taking the tablets alone (or even with food) really sets my stomach off.

Michelle

Michelle, I'm with you--my guts don't tolerate salt tabs. Lloyd (for those veterans from NDRF, you'll remember him) used to make fun of me for that, and I don't think he quite believed what a wrecking ball it was to my guts. So, Michelle, I suppose it's good for me to have some validation that it's NOT JUST ME :P...but :) sorry it's cuz you and I share the gut yuckies. I take nexium 2x a day and still don't get total relief.

Nina

Michelle and Nina, can you help me better understand the relationship between salt tablets and acid production? Nexium is prescribed for heartburn, right?

I'm thinking/hoping that if I take a 1 gm salt tablet each time I eat a meal, it will be as if I had sprinkled about 1/2 teaspoon of salt over my food. (1/2 teasp sounds doable, but it's actually quite a lot!) But maybe I don't understand something about the way these salt tabs actually work--or about the time it takes for them to dissolve and be absorbed into the body.

Just trying to stay hopeful I won't have the stomach problems I've heard about...

I don't think there is any connection between acid production and salt, at least personally. I think it's just an irritant in my case, and then when my body does make bile and dumps it into my stomach, it REALLY hurts. I get the same problem from anything in the NSAID group. More likely directly related to the acid issue is that I get similar problems from drinking too much of any citrus beverage or eating citrus fruit--pretty acidic stuff.

I don't know exactly why salt tabs irritate my stomach. I've been able to eat salty foods without too much of a problem, but those salt tabs alone really do a number on me. I used to take them all the time without a problem...that is, up until about a year ago. Hopefully you won't be as sensitive to them as I am.

Michelle