16 Weeks

calypso

Went for my 16-week checkup on Monday and everything is surprisingly going very well. I am finding I have more energy in the last few weeks than I have since the last time I was pregnant -- guess it's all those extra hormones that I need to keep me alert.

My heart rate is definitely higher and I'm shorter of breath than usual, but unless I hit a heart rate of 120 or more on a regular basis, I can remain med-free. I've been running in the 100-105 range at the highest, and usually in the 80-100 range.

I did have an episode of near-fainting yesterday. I became dizzy over the course of an hour or so, even after I was lying flat, and then had some alternating tachy and brady episode that lasted just a half hour. Then I was fine. Hope this doesn't happen again, but if it does, I will probably have to go back on the beta blocker.

So I have minimal nausea and not much fatigue. The gist is that so far, everything is nice and boring and maybe will stay that way! Thanks for the support.

Amy

Guest sonotech

Amy,

That sounds like great news! I am glad things are going well for you and I will keep my fingers crossed for you the rest of your pregnancy. If you made it to 16wks with little problems, then the outlook is pretty good!!

congratulations and i hope that things remain in your favor and that you don't have anymore of those nasty pre-syncope episodes or the tachy/brady -can't make up its mind- episodes either. good luck!

dionna :)

Glad things are going well.

Regarding heart rate--do you mean your resting heartrate? In other words, your doc feels it is ok to have a resting hr of 120 or less?

I remember that once I hit 23 weeks or so, my hr was frequently above 100 resting. I don't think it usually went above 120, resting. But when I walked around or did any minor activity it went right up to 140 or so. I remember asking a cardiologist my ob/gyn sent me to (this was prior to POTS diagnosis) and he flippantly said, your heartrate can go up to 180 with no problem. This is still a question of interest in my mind--at what point would bb's be advisable in a pregnancy.

Also, what do your doctors say about salt intake?

Katherine

Katherine --

The docs in my OB group differ a bit on what my resting heart rate level should be the max before starting BB therapy. My assigned doctor said 140. Another two said 120. Another said 150. I have basically decided to take it into my own hands. If I am consistently running above 120, I am going to start the BB again. I feel that if my heart rate is that high, the circulation to the baby is compromised anyway -- which is the potential risk (resulting in a slightly smaller baby) if I take the BB. I would be taking a dose of Toprol at 25 mg (a half a pill daily), and at this level the risk for having a smaller baby is lower than if I were to take a dose of 50 mg or higher.

I think what my doctors mean by resting heart rate is the average rate, because of how much I am standing during the day. They know I will be slightly higher when standing, but they know I'll be lower when lying flat. So I think they mean if I'm just standing or sitting around and it's 120 or 140 or higher, then that's too much. Thankfully I'm not hitting that point ... but I realize that the next three months are going to increase the chances that I do.

As for salt, because my BP is not low, they do not encourage extra salt. I find that more salt makes me retain water in my legs and does not make me feel any better, even when I drink more fluids. Obviously there are many women who benefit from this, but I just don't think I am one of them. The only thing that seems to help my heart rate is exercise. I find it's elevated for a while afterward, but the rest of the day or the next day it's lower.

Amy

I guess I am not surprised that you got such a variety of answers. Frustrating that they can't all get together and agree. Are you having a 24-hour holter monitor at certain points, or are they just relying on you to report your hr?

I felt so, so much better when I increased salt during pregnancy--but I think it could have triggered the problem with high bp in the final days.

Katherine