Super Excessive Thirst

Dizzy Dame

Hi All,

I'm not sure what's been happening, but over the past 24 hours I've developed even worse exessive thirst than normal. Normally I drink 3-5 liters of water or gatorade a day, but today I've already gone through 6 liters...over the past few hours I've drank 2 liters and I can't get enough. As soon as I put down the bottle of gatorade I feel like I'm dying of thirst and have to pick it back up again.

I've never had a thirsty spell like this before, but before I call my doctor and drive to go see her, I wanted to see if any of you have had similar thirsty episodes, and what you did about them, or how long they lasted.

I'm getting enough sodium so I'm not worried about overdrinking...but at this rate I'm going to be up all night drinking and running to the bathroom <_<

Grrrr...new symptoms really get me boiling!

I don't know- I get these spells quite often, and I just thought it was because of not retaining water as well as the hormonal things going on upon standing. Although I'd like to find a way to retain it better, I've never thought of it as a really major problem... yeah it's no fun when you can't get enough, but unless you've been losing water through other means over the past couple days (extreme diarrhea and/or vomiting, I mean), I wouldn't personally think of it as being something to worry about. However, if it's incredibly excessive (like downing a gallon in a go, or more, or needing to do so, that could be a sign of something serious, and you should probably go to the doctor. If it's less noticeable, but still bothering you, maybe you could put in a call to your doctor to just say, 'Hey, do you think this is a problem?' maybe tomorrow or watch over the weekend and do it Monday. (Why do these things always hit on a Friday?)

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I'm sorry, though- it really stinks!!

It does sound like something worth running past your doctor. Maybe she could tell you over the phone whether it's something you need checked out?

The only time I've had that happen it was because I was drinking too much water. And I didn't find out that was the problem until I consulted the third doctor about it. It sounds like you've got that angle covered, though, with the extra sodium.

Hope it passes.

Spike

I've had the same problem a few times...Not quite sure what causes it though.

I have this problem on occasion and don't know why it happens. My body seems to hold water in the wrong places -- I get some swelling in my legs, for instance, but will have drank a whole bunch of water that day and still be thirsty. I think it just goes to the wrong places.

I'd wait another day and see if it passes -- unless, of course, you feel ill or have other symptoms.

Amy

Thanks guys!

It has gone away a bit today, but last night was insane! I went through a 2 liter bottle of gatorade, plus a 500ml bottle of water in a period of 3 hours...that's nearly a gallon of fluids!

I definitely peed the whole night...like every 20 minutes my bladder was full until about 2am. Around that time the thirst calmed down too and I was finally able to sleep.

Whatever it was, it was brief, so I'm not worried anymore. Must have just been a fluke.

Lauren,

Perhaps your body 'thought' you were dehydrated, even though you weren't and you were drinking a lot...but it sounds like, in the end, you peed out what you took in, and that is very important! You know your kidneys are doing what they are supposed to!

I am always thirsty, but I try to keep my fluid intake limited or I will overdrink. But, I am also on DDAVP and a bladder med.

Did the thirst come in conjunction with feeling extra yucky or POTSy??? Just curious.

Ohmygosh! I just realized that right now, at this very moment you are in NC at your Lyme appointment. I haven't been online posting at all and just happened to respod to this post. A God moment! I was meant to send you good thoughts at this very moment! Please let us know how it goes. I am so anxious to hear and I hope so much that you had a good trip and the appt. was beyond helpful! ;) Wave to Davidson for me! :)

Emily

Strange symptom dear......... hope you've quenched your thirst by now! I've gotten the same way a time or 100 in the past, but never sure what caused it. I simply increased the fluids, found a comfy spot by the bathroom to hang out, and let it all pass (literally and figuratively speaking).

Hope you don't have to endure much more of this!

Hugs,

Babs

Dry mouth is/can be VERY COMMON and I have had this for 16 years. Taking DDAVP has helped...I also use lots of chapstick which goes along with the drying aspect. I used to have a link that SPECIFICALLY broke down this cause..but here is a cut and paste that mentions it in a nutshell. When we get NERVOUS we often get dry mouthed/ Well with autonomic problems PERPETUAL cotton mouth can be very common but discuss it with your doctor to rule out other causes.

Table 1

Common Symptoms of Autonomic Dysfunction

? Postural hypotension

? Syncope

? Decreased sweating/heat intolerance

? Hyperhidrosis - focal or diffuse

? Constipation/diarrhea

? Impotence

? Dry eyes/mouth? Failure of accommodation

Emily

Well considering that dry eyes is becoming such a problem for the aged and the ANS folks, how about an eyeball version of chapstick. :unsure::unsure:

Course that might be scarier than drops. I can't imagine wearing contact lenses. Anybody that can wake up in the morning and stick a foreign object in their eye, has the guts to do anything in my book!! :angry: I am squeamish.

They do make drops for dry eyes though in all seriousness.

Also, if I don't have access to a water bottle or drink it all, I keep a pack of chewing gum with me. Just break off a small piece to chew and stimulate saliva.

Sophia,

You crack me up.

Yes, they do have dry eye drops. I can't tolerate contacts at all. I tried. :/ It was before POTS, but really, was there ever a 'before'?

If you do use eye drops you should use the preservative-free kind, like Gentile.

I use a lot of the products for dry mouth like Aqua Drops (love them), Orajel Mouth spray (must have next to me in bed at all times) or Oasis (same idea, just depends which you can find at the store) and also I use Biotene toothpaste at night. Can you tell I've scouted out the products in this department???? :unsure: Yikes!

Em

P.S. Who are you calling AGED????? :unsure: Sorry, just had to joke about it. Not me?????

I didn't realize there was such a thing as partial diabetes insipidus? There are lots of us here with DI-type problems, but what I hear mostly is that our symptoms "mimic" those of DI... so if it's not straight-up DI, then the "mimic"-ing side could be considered partial DI? That's interesting.

:)

Megan,

Did I miss something??? :) I didn't catch partial-DI mentioned in this thread? But, since you asked I thought I'd chime in...

Partial DI means that you produce SOME anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) (which is what DDAVP replaces) whereas with complete DI you don't produce ANY ADH.

I was diagnosed with partial DI after a water deprivation test, but I'm honestly skeptical if I actually have it. My POTS doc doesn't seem to think it's my issue. The testing needs to be well-done and the doctors and nurses doing it just didn't do a very accurate job, so I question the accuracy of the test. I'll never know, b/c I'm not willing to go through the test again.

Hope this helps!

Emily