Horrible Night

yogini

I haven't posted in a while and things were going pretty smoothly for me until last night. I woke up in the middle of the night burning hot, drenched in sweat. I was semi-delusional and it took me a while to figure out that I needed to check my pulse. When I checked it, it was 130 lying down. I took some extra beta blocker and it went away. I managed to fall asleep and when I woke up this morning, I was burning hot and drenched in sweat again. This time I had a mild fever - I didn't have one in the middle of the night. I feel exhausted and, needless to say, am not going into work today. It's been a while since I've had an episode like this. I At least the tachy seems to be under control right now and I'm also lucky that this happened to me at home, instead of at work or outside on the street. I had almost forgotten what it was like to have a bad POTS attack - and now I remember, it *****!! I'm so dissapointed and upset, because I feel like I'd made so much progress and this is a step back. My doctor doesn't have any openings today, so I am just trying to hang on until tomorrow.

I am going to try and catch up on old posts. Hope too many of you aren't with me in the POTS hole.

Rita, how are you feeling today? This sounds to me like the beginnings of a virus. But hopefully you fought it off and are back to work today. The other possibility is hormone fluctuation. I sometimes get what are like hot flashes, and I'm only 30!

Amy

I hope you feel better------hormones could be it----your temperature can fluctuate a little also with hormones changes.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that---it's so scary to wake up that way---I had it happen to me also.

I did the same thing---extra beta blocker. I always thought I could never have tachycardia as long as I took my BB, then when I did is scared the you know what out of me. I've been on BBs for 16 years now, but didn't have break through tachycardia until Dec. of 2000.

When I was diagnosed with POTS---at least I knew why this happened, but it still scares me when it happens.

I handle it better now, but I do notice things get worse around my cycle, stress---and especially a virus.

I notice a lot of folks on here get more tachy when there is some kind of outside stress in addition to their POTS.

Sending a BIG HUG-----and sending positive thoughts/prayers to keep those spells away from you........

Maxine :0) Sending a little get well flower-----getwellflower.jpg

Thanks so much for all of your responses. You always help to reassure me and make me better.

Luckily I don't have a virus and I'm feeling much better...not quite back to my baseline, but at least up to walking around and (unfortunately) going back to work! :blink: What happened is that I tried to wean of the last of my atenolol (I have only been taking 6mg or 1/4 pill for the last 2 months). You would think that such a tiny amount of medicine would not make such a difference. I did fine for several days and then it caught up with me. :) I haven't felt that bad in ages, but at least it was short-lived. I just got back from the dr's office. He said he thinks I need the atenolol, but that I should try again in January. I am disappointed, but also relieved that I don't have to think about this again for another 4 months.

My dr did say that some of his other patients take small amounts of betas like me - I wonder whether I could have gotten away with a much lower dose to start off with, and whether a smaller dose might work for others with POTS who can't tolerate the normal dose.