hello from oxford

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd drop by. What can I say where do I begin! 5 admissions in 3 weeks. It's not good, is it!

I have some worrying new symptoms. The chest pain is so bad that I cry with it- it's so painful. And my pulse is now much, much faster than it ever was before- last week, in excess of 250bpm + + (it was so fast it was unreadable). THe paramedics said it was SVT but it was back in sinus by the time I got to hospital. They're more frequent and lasting much longer. I had TWENTY collapses last Thursday- TWENTY! ANd last night I went down after a meal, and was outcold for about forty minutes. Very strange and new symptoms. I tried to reassure people by saying it's just the time of year for viruses and I end up much worse off than other people- but I'm really startng to get a bit uneasy about it all.

The hospital which seemed so fabulous before is in fact, not at all fabulous= seems like I got lucky that one time. Last week I spent 15 hours on a trolley in A&E- my breathing stopped at one point and a Doctor stood and watched as the monitor flashed up "apnoea"- then wandered off eating an apple! I felt so let down. It *****.

But I can't give up this course- it's the one thing that is keeping me going! I've just submitted an application for funding.

College continue to be ***-holes though. They left me to BURN in my UPSTAIRS room on Sunday night during a fire alarm- I couldn't get out of my room, someone is meant to come get me or whatever, but no one did! then I discover that their 'emergency plan' for me during fires etc is to errr.....ring me in my room and offer reassuraqnce every ten minutes.

Anyhoo, I'm alive- but only just! X

Persephone,

Sorry that you have been feeling worse. Have you seen your cardiologist about all of this? I can't believe that during fire drills people call up to you every so often....Is that allowed? Are there any handicapp rooms you can stay in?! That angers me! :unsure:

Are you on any meds?? If not I think that you may have to look into gettting some :( .... Please go see your doc and get this taken care of, I'M WORRIED about YOU!

Jacquie

wow Persephone!! holy cow!! I hope that you feel better soon dear. get yourself tot he doc soon!! Big hugs

linda

Guest tearose

OMG!!! :unsure:

That was a lot of SVT and storms!

Are you on any vitamins? Ask your good doc about your magnesium levels too. I was always having SVT's and this burns up potassium and you need to supplement potassium BUT you need the additional magnesium to be able to absorb the potassium!

keep us posted!

Hey, this is your second year at uni? You are doing it dear! Hang in there.

warm regards, tearose

Dude, this is my 6th year at uni! I started my undergrad in 2000! But this is my frist year of postgrad. I don't know what to do about any of this, as Drs here are telling me there is NOTHING they can do. I feel like something bad might happen soon, but I gotta keep going! OXFORD WILL NOT BEAT ME. Nor will the POTS!

Guest tearose

Hey sorry, one year at grad level, felt like two years...hey in pots years it is two years! :unsure:

Okay, what can we do to patch you up?

Maybe you need to take a day or two off?

Persephone,

I was horrified after reading your post for so many reasons. I really think you need to hire a lawyer to sort out your living situation, I'm not sure what the laws are in England, but here in the states, what Oxford's doing to you is illegal.

As for the SVT. I've only had SVT once and I thought I was going to die (and almost wanted to). You are such a trooper for being able to handle all those storms without going insane. Major kudos to you :unsure:

Hang in there, and try to take some time off (if you can) to let your body recover a bit.

((((HUGS)))))

-lauren

What a trooper you are. Thanks for updating us. Your situation is so difficult.

Postgrad is hard work. I am amazed that you are able to manage it while having so many difficult spells.

It seems that the college/uni must have a written policy for managing disabled students needs--and I cannot believe that they are following it.

Thank goodness you have such a good attitude. Now you just need a good doctor.

Katherine

Wow, they sound like real jerks at oxford. Do they not believe that you need a wheelchair or something like that? it just seems to go against any basic feelings of humainty to force someone in a wheel chair to live up stairs. Are there actually rooms available to you on the ground floor?

Its wonderful (and amazing) that you are still sticking it out, its hard when people are helping you let alone when the powers that be make it tougher. I hope your health picks back up as last time i read your post you seemed to be doing well. So lets hope this is the storm and it shall pass so you can have some peace for a while! xoxo

Haha, let us know if he replies!

I want to do postgrad in history so i understand the need to really feel the manuscripts and be around the buzz of the best of the best (when they are not pretentious wanks anyway). Actually i am doing a semester abroad the second half of this year and some people were quite opposed to it due to my health. To tell you the truth i am scared stiff at times (when i am sick that is). I have actually thought of your situation Persephone when i am scared and the truth is my health is not as physically disabiling as yours (however my mind does do the fog thing like yours which makes studying hopeless at times) so i figure if you can do it despite the tough situation then i should be able to do it! wow your a inspiration B) I will find out in a few months if i am accepted *fingers crossed*

I am Australian :D I go to UNSW and am being nominated to Boston College. I have not lived alone since i got ill so im doing it to prove to myself i can be independent as well. Although i am getting stronger i still have bad months so i guess i just have to hope they dont stick around while i am away.

I had a friend at oxford a few years back and i visited her, it was so great! <_<