Tachy when waking?

jenwic

Sometimes my heart goes fast when I first wake up and I'm still laying in bed. I also have this problem when waking in the middle of the night occasionally. I read somewhere that your blood pressure can sometimes drop low when you're asleep and I was wondering if that could be what's causing it. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi there,

I have the same problem. It doesn't happen everyday, but today, for example, I woke up to my heart pounding in my chest. Usually this is a result of me turning over in my sleep. Sometimes, though, I'll wake in the night with my heart pounding and I hadn't moved at all.

I'm not sure why my body does this, especially since I've been recroded as being bradycardic when I sleep (both the hospital and the holter monitors recorded my heartrate being as low as the 30's when I'm asleep) so lord knows :) Unless you have heart disease, I don't think it's anything to worry about, just another annoying symptom of our condition.

Cheers,

Lauren

I too feel more tachy during the night and in the morning. (especially if i get up) I found that my midodrine helps get rid of those feelings in the morning, but during the night I'm on my own. Lately, I have been having a higher resting heart rate and boy does that bother me! As uncomfy as it sounds, its all pots related. But if it continues to persist, I would talk to your pcp. :)

Nicole

My very first episode started in the morning, still in bed. Looking back from there, I had two other "hints" of tachy at night, but on those occasions I had eaten a lot and late. But not this time. I couldn't shake this episode and made my first of many trips to ER.

My heart rate always goes up when I lie down, so I have to be sure that I don't lie down too soon after eating which makes a double whammy. And I have to be really sleepy or the pounding will make me get up and move.

It is better sleeping on a tilt (for me, anyway).

Let us know if something helps you because I will try it, too.

OLL

I'm the same way after eating, and I ALWAYS have to take propranolol right before bed or my HR will be too variable for me to fall asleep. If I wake up in the early AM I might have to take another... then also upon waking. I don't know why it does this, but it's really annoying!

I have been tachy alot lately at all times during the day. The worst times for me are in the am and the pm when I go to lay down for bed, but lately I have having the tachy off and on all day... <_<

Before I started medication, my worst times for tachycardia were rolling over in bed at night and getting up after sleeping. My heart rate would go from 60 to over 140+. My friend who's a doctor told me that was because the ANS system becomes "quiesent" during sleep. Waking up, rolling over, or getting out of bed sort of "startle" the ANS and mine responds irritably. A phone ringing in the middle of the night can send my heart rate sky high! Before meds, I always did better in the afternoon after I'd been up and about for a long while.

Carolyn

same thing with me, getting up in AM, sometimes with the shakes and then a faint for good measure, but rolling over in bed and/or having to get up for bathroom trips. haven't recorded the rates but i can FEEL my heart about to leap from my chest!

also had palps when i would lay down. added an extra 1/2 dose of labetalol at night (per Beverly) and that seemed to do the trick.

i agree with that idea that it's an ANS "startle." i hate it tho.

i have read that its better to lie down after eating but some of you say that is a no no, i lie down right away after eating, so what is best, lie down right away or stay up? i thought the blood wouldnt drain so much from the head if you lied down right away,

radha

yeppers.. i get tachy sit laying standing.. sleeping or not sleeping..

the tachy loves to wake me up from my sleep! or when I roll over.. i have found that I genrally have to take an 1/2-to one whole extra betaxolol (cleared by doc to do this) around 4 am to get relief..(on top of my regular 30 mg a day and .2 mg of clonidine before bed.. GRRR..)

my tachy can go from 45 to 144 just like that with out moving.. apparently breathing is too much exzersion!!

its a potsy thing for me.. always good though to talk to your doc if it becomes worse or your concerned just to safe!!

hang in there!