I Have The Flu.... POTS Worse than Ever

janineerrn

Hi,

UGH>>> been hit with the flu. My niece brought it home to me. I have not been able to stand up until today. I made it to my desk chair 3 feet from my bed. I had IV fluids in the ER then I COULDNT pee when I got home. I think I actually wanted to die on saturday night. Its been one major adreanal storm after another, i think I vagal every time I cough.

I cant take any cough meds, they make my heart race. I cant take the hydrocodone syrup the gave me cuz it makes me itch and puke. i have been sipping lavender tea... any suggestions for a cough that makes you vagal?

My tonsills are the size of golf balls and the doc says they really ned to come out.....

Oh just shoot me. :)

Peace All

Janine

Guest tearose

Oh poor Janine!

You do sound just awful!

Leave it to you to get the last round of the flu!!! :)

You are aware that the flu season ends next weekend so you are the last person to get it! :blink:

Not really, I'm trying to make you laugh.

You know it's the flu when you think you are going to die....and you don't!!!

okay, some solutions.......

Hunker down and drink. Whiskey sounds good. :blink: okay, I mean water.

I wish I had a magic pill but I just sold my last one!

Okay, no more comedy....

How about trying an old fashioned lollipop for the hurting throat?

Go have someone get some things like that to soothe you.

If you don't have access to hard candy or lollipops, then how about a bit of honey on a teaspoon?

get well soon!

tearose

Guest Belinda

Maybe cough drops to numb the throat?????Or chloraseptic spray??? Heat on throat to relax everything??Moist heat? I am sorry you are feeling so bad...I went to ER too on Sat. All I can say is uuugghh.

Hope you get over it soon..drink fluids/or whiskey(just kidding).

Belinda

Thanks Belinda... Why did you go to ER? You OK?

2 of you telling me to drink whiskey, hmmmmmmmmmm, you just want me to puke more dont ya :blink:

I am out of bed so i am a little better. Cant get my heart rate under 120 tho. If I could figure out how to get my bed into the bathroom or my toilet next to my bed, it would be great.

Peace

Janine

Hi, Janine,

Sorry to hear you are feeling so badly! I just wanted to share that I had my tonsils out when I was 37 (I'm 42 now), and everybody told me it would be so painful I would "want to die", but it was really a breeze. In fact, I couldn't believe what a difference it made in my life. I had a sore throat everyday for over 4 years and even had a scary tonsillar abcess once.

I will add that I had symptoms of POTs back then, but my symptoms weren't bothersome enough to warrant a diagnosis until last year, so I can't say if the surgery will make your POTs worse or not. Just thought I'd share that my experience was positive in case you decide to have them out.

Hope you feel better soon!

Carolyn

Hi Janine,

Just thought I'd add that the thing I've usually found best for coughs when I have the flu is eating dark chocolate. I've found it helps to prevent and ease the coughing. I think there's been some studies suggesting it may actually work better than cough meds.

Anyway, I hope you're continuing to feel a bit better,

Amy

I always keep popsicles on hand. Kind of freeze your mouth and you are getting some fluids,

vicks is great, cool breeze cough drops are very good. The teachers ask my daughter for them all the time. of course hot tea with some honey , the old reliable. hope you feel better.( FYI whiskey won't freeze, but jello shots, hmmmm:-)

i had bronchitis a few weeks ago, and the coughing was so deep and it made the POTS so much worse, i know it is just pure misery catching anything on top of already suffering from POTS, what helped the cough for me was the herb mullein, i took the tincture which you can usually find at a local health food store, it really does help to break up congestion and ease cough, and so does slippery elm bark in pills or lozenges, hope you get some relief soon,

radha

Thanks Everyone!

Its 247 am, woke up in a coughing fit. Grabbed the vicks, drank more tea. Will send my son to the co-op tomorrow for tincture. I did accupressure 2 times and it really cleared out my head. The warm moist heat feels great too. I just cant get warm. Now I just have to wait for my heart rate to slow down and I can crawl back into bed.

LOL Gracie...... you been trying to make whiskey pops g/f?

Thank You

Janine

I am sorry you feel so yukky. When I got sick at the holidays I had to up my beta blocker because the fever made my pulse get scary.

I tried all sorts of cough stuff, but what worked the most were Fisherman's Friends cough lozenges which holistic doctors and health food stores used to carry, but I have seen them at drug stores, too, now. And I got addicted to R&D homeopathic Cough and Bronchial Syrup.

Get well soon.

LL

It's unfortunate, but pretty universal for us POTS people to have symptoms flare when ill...that, and it seems to take a bit longer for us to recover than the average person.

Hope you're starting to feel better. Nina

Hi,

Just when I thought it was over, I have a fever again. UGH, how long does this last? I got a bottle of homeopathic cough, flu drops. No mullein tincture at the co-op. I feel better than I did the other day.

Dark Chocolate? I eat that for everything, great cure all....

Thanks All

Janine

Hi Janine,

I had the flu a week ago. It 's the first time I've got it since my POTS. You know what I called it, POTS and DEATH.

I've tried antibiotcs,sirops hot tea but nothing would work except a magic traditional syrop.

Its very easy to prepare: make the juce of a red onion and add to it honey till it become suit like syrop and take a spoon in the morning and one in the evening . Believe me it works for the flu and caughing with wonders.

I hope you feel better soon.

Amouna

When I got the flu in December the one thing that seemed to help on many levels was sipping on chicken broth. It's high in sodium and it's liquid so that will help with POTS and it was soothing to my throat and it was the only thing I could keep down so I managed to keep some protein in me this way as well.

Hope you feel MUCH MUCH better soon.

sorry that you're feeling so cruddy. and even though i'm very used to getting "hit harder" by now by anything/everything b/c of dysautonomia, that doesn't make it any more enjoyable. i hope you're on your way to feeling much much better very very soon,

:D melissa

Hi, Janine,

I'm new to the forum, but have had dysautonomia for at least 8 years. the flu is HORRIBLE! i'd rather be hit in the head with a hammer, i think. (just kidding) each time i've gotten it, it's taken me WEEKS to recover sufficiently. what has worked well for me is having tons of blankets nearby on the bed to move on & off as I get way too hot, then way too cold, pillows in the bathroom and an electric blanket plugged in so i could lay down in there if i needed to; and a clear path to then crawl my way back to bed. And, of course pushing fluids like it's going out of style--pitcher by the bed, a glass in the bathroom that i have to make myself fill with water and drink every time i go in. you may also try hot honey lemonade--squeeze some lemon into some water and add honey and heat in microwave--it helps coughing and sore throat. also, for sore throat I have used asper-gum, which tastes pretty bad, but works well (don't know of your ASA tolerance....)

I'm also lucky to have a laptop to access the web (and the world) from bed. Hallelujah for technology!

Have you considered a flu shot in the fall? (Hindsight is always 20/20, right?) Dr Grubb recommended one for me & I got it. It made me sick and then I still ended up with the flu! Maybe you would have better luck next season? Just a suggestion.

I am encouraged to see that you are an RN (I am a student nurse and trying to get through classes with all this dysautonomia craziness) and you give me hope that I can do it, too! I managed to get a Master's with NCS & POTS, but nursing school is brutal! Thanks for being out there and I certainly hope you feel better soon!

Take care. I am sending good vibes your way.

(((hugs)))

Lulu

(This is my first post, so I hope it turns out ok.....)

Hi Janine,

After a few weeks of feeling pretty decent, I have it too. :) The kids were home last week for the president week break and they were all sick. It would figure they go back to school, me to work, and I get it!

I like the slippery elm as well as Zicam zinc lozenges and it even comes in gumballs. I find it does help me to lessen the amount of time I actually have the whole cold/flu thing. Lots of tea w/honey and even ginger. Water too of course. I take robutussin but all in all, the cough stuff usually does not do much to quell my coughing fits. That darn tickle that comes with it just does not quit.

My hr stays up when I am sick and stays like that for days until the virus starts to go. I have trouble keeping warm, I feel cold no matter what. I use a heating pad for a while or the electric blanket.

Hope you are feeling better. :lol:

I am STILL dealing with the flu that hit me about 3 weeks ago! It is horrible so I really relate to you.

Mine is mostly my stomache and I have run a high fever on and off,,,,just when I thought I was getting better...round 2 came! Or maybe it was round 3??!! :)

I wish I had some really great advise, but I think everyone here already gave you good suggestions.. I have been trying to rest as much as possible, but I am not too good at that.... Also trying to eat as well as I can with a stomche thing , drinking protein shakes to make sure I get good nutrients in no matter what.....

Feel Better soon!!!!

Hi,

I had 2 liters of IV fluids today and I feel better. Still have a cough that is horrid but I do feel more human.

For all of you who have the flu or had it this season, I am glad we are still alive! Geesh, it just keeps sneaking up on you just when you think your better.

Thanks for all the tips and kind words, you guys are the greatest!

Janine