Does flying make POTS worse?

Suzanne

suzanne -

people have had a wide variety of experiences with flying. personally i don't have any more trouble with flying than i do with sitting up for the same amount of time but wheelchair use at the airport is a must for me b/c of the long walks and even more so the lines. and i always wear my compression hose & make sure i'm extra "pumped up" on my fluids.

to get the most info before your trip tomorrow though i would definitely recommend doing a search as the topic has been discussed a good number of times in the past.

good luck,

B) melissa

I've had a very hard time flying since having pots. I just returned from a trip from the west coast to New York, and the plane ride was not fun at all. I don't know why. For me it may be the rocking motion, the closeness of the people around and the inability to just lay down. I think also the noise. I felt like I do when I have really low blood pressure. On the return trip I prepared ahead by loading up on salt. Then on the plane I asked for hot water and I took bullion cubes with me to make a high sodium broth drink. I had gingerale and that helped the nausea. The ride seemed to be just a little easier. I also took along some Ativan in case I got too anxious and feeling bad, then I would just go to sleep for the duration. All in all, it wasn't too bad and maybe my anxiety of the whole event was actually even worse than the ride itself!

I hope that you have a good flight. Maybe if you turn the air on you, you will feel okay. I didn't think about that one...

Yes i find flying tough. I tend to be more dizzy for a few days after the flight. Although these may seem somewhat obvious i may as well post some things that help me.

1) Drink powerade throughout the flight as it helps keep your electrolites up and avoid dehydration.

2) Move and flex your muscles to make sure blood is pumping (every 20 mins or so).

3) Take crisps (chips) for a quick source of salt.

Some people also wear tights (sorry the propper word escapes me atm) to help with blood flow.

Good luck B)

Where are you going Suzanne?

I should be flying to the gold coast soon ... i just avoid it as i dislike flying so much

Hi,

I usually load up on extra fluids and salt for a couple of days before the flight and wear compression hose. My symptoms are slightly worse while on board, but no big deal. But I am usually really wiped out for a day or two after the flight. Not sure why, but this is definitely related to POTS.

-Rita

Thanks everyone for your input. I will do all of your tips. I am going to Perth (Australia) for a holiday with my family. Thought I would be much better than I am when I booked about 9 months ago. It is tempting to stay home, but my family need to get out and I am sure it will be fun once I am there. Thanks again :)

I hope I'm not too late to chime in. As you can see, people react differently to flying. I for one can't handle it, and my doctors have reccomended (after the last horrific flight) that I never fly unless medically necessary until my health improves. However, I'm pretty sick so it makes sense that I can't handle flying.

You may want to consider getting fluids before you get on the plane if you're having trouble hydrating. Also, keeping a relaxed mindset can do wonders (sometimes I think my fear of a crash actually leads to one :) ). If you have to fly, you have to fly and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck,

Lauren

More than abything flying dehydrates me. I wear compression hose, drink lots of water with elctromix and take celtic sea sait...

I also make sure I move my legs around if I am seated for a while and get up frequentl;y to walk or use the bathroom.....

I also travel with an IV line in me and take my IV fluid supplies if I need extra fluid when I get off the plane....

When i travelled to Mayo which was a more extended perios of time, I actually contacted the home infusion company in the area so that they coule set me up to start a line if I needed.... this helped a lot .....

Good Luck to you.... and I hope you have a safe flight :P