Neurotin

Me why you doctor prescribed this for you. I also am interested in the strength and frequency that you take it. My doctor prescribed this for me to take 300 mg at bedtime for neuralgia. I have seen where people say that they take it when needed for pain. Does it really work like that? Also, have any of you had side effects from this med. Thanks for this site and everyone here. I felt like I was so alone with this until I found this site.

Paige

I love Neurontin. If I had to choose between one of my medications, it would be Neurontin.

I suffered from Joint pain for over a decade. I saw three different rheumatologists from Oregon to New York, a couple of internal medicine doctors and so on. I saw Dr. Grubb last summer and I told him about numerous symptoms in addition to the joint pain, such as my extremities going numb or loss of feeling all together. He said that my neurotransmitters were over stimulated and he put me on Neurontin. It was the first relief that I have had, it completely takes the pain away! I'm chemically sensitive so I started on a very low dosage of Neurontin, 100 mg every 8 hours. He increased my dosage to 800 mg a day, I only take this much when I'm really in need. I haven't had any side effects what so ever.

Neurontin can be taken for many different things and Dr. Grubb also recommends it for migraines. Diabetic patients take it for neuropathy.

I love this website too, it explains some of the usage of Neurontin:

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/lymecfs/nfaq.htm

Hi Ladies,

I don't have POTS but I just started taking Neurontin for peripheral neuropathy and migraines. It immediately made a difference in my life. I was wondering why it has not be utilized as much in POTS patients - as it has helped me so much. I was going to discuss this with Dr. Grubb next time we talked. Funny you brought this topic up! Thanks for the link!

Debbie from www.dynakids.org

I was put on neurontin for nerve pain from two damaged discs in my neck. Initially, I was on 300 mg 3 x a day...then they wanted me to work up to 900 3x a day...I only got up to 600 and I was a complete zombie. I backed it down to 300 and I have to say, it did really help me with the pain that ran down my arms, back and chest.

They kept me on it until about a year after my neck surgery. According to my neuro, it was supposed to help me cope with the post surgical pain better. Since I was on it prior to surgery and after, I can't say whether it did or did not make surgery easier...

I did also seem to help me with my migraines, but I cannont be sure because there were lots of other things going on in my life at the time.

I'm no longer on neurontin. Nina

I take neurontin 3600 mg a day (900 in the morning; 1200 in the afternoon, and 15oo in the evening.

My POTS doctor started me on a low dose. However after migraines that resulted in hospitalizations, my neurologist increased my dosage of neurontin very slowly over a number of months. I think the neurontin has certainly helped with the migraines. :rolleyes: It may also have helped ameliorate some of the POTS symptoms. ;)

As we all know, everyone reacts different to meds. Why not explore the option? If it doesn't work for you, then you can discontinue it.

Good luck! Let us know how it works for you.

Guest Julia

My PCP prescribed nurontin for the pain stemming from my cervical stenosis/chiari. Some days it's soooooo painful, and other days not much pain. I have been afraid to try it.

Can it be taken with propranolol, synthroid, wellbutrin? There was a question mark regarding the mix with wellbutrin by the pharmacy---then it looked like it was crossed out later. I never called to find out why. Sometimes I would just rather suffer from the pain then deal with another side affect. Tylenol works , but only for a short period of time.

However, it sounds like this drug does not give too many bad side affects according to what I have read on this site. So maybe i'll give it a shot.

Julie :0)

I was on Neurontin 400 mg four times a day for a year and a half. The only side effect I had was being more tired than usual but at the time I needed it-that was the least of my problems. It is a miracle drug and enabled me to get out of bed at the time. I am now off of it but feel like at times I could use it when the myalgias and neuralgias act up in bad weather.

I take an extremely high dose of Neurontin and it has really helped with migraines and possibly POTs symptoms. I also take it with Zoloft and had been taking it with a beta blocker.

Suggest you ask your doctor about the combination of drugs you are taking and the impact of adding neurontin.

Good luck and let us know how you did!

I don't mean this with disregards to anyones docs, but if you have a medication question; please call your pharmacist!

I work in the emergency department and I take these kinds of phone calls all night long. The pharmacist has extensive training in meds and they have the resources to answer medication interaction questions better than most primary care docs.

I know that my doc has given me things and it was the pharmacist who brought things to my attention.

My 2 cents.

steph

This is my first post, but I saw your question about Neurontin and figured it was a good place to start. I was diagnosed with POTS in 2000. I live in Arizona but my doctor sent me to Dr. Grubb in Ohio. He put me on Neurontin at that time because I explained to him that the worst symptom for me was/is headaches. I've seen other posts mention migranes, but my headaches don't fit under that category; I don't have a sensitivity to light or sound. My headaches were/are constant, so I'm not sure that it ever really helped. My PCP here tried to taper me off of the Neurontin, but when I got to a low dose I had SEVERE nausua (NOTHING stayed down!) Since then my dosages have been changed a few times. Currently, I take 600 mg in the morning and 600 mg before bed. I hope this helps. Please feel free to e-mail me (type POTS as the subject, so I don't delete it) if you have any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I take so many meds that it borders on absurb, but neurontin is by far my favorite med because I notice such a difference when I take it. I take 400 mg 3x a day. Some days I think it makes me more tired, but not enough to want to give it up.

Bren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Julia59

I wonder why Dr. Grubb said 300mg of neurontin three times a day would put me on the floor.

He said it would be way too much for me to start on. Then he lowered it to 100mg once a day.

Julie :0)