Travelling when you're so sick?

DancingLight

Bonjour mon amies...

Okay, so my french isn't as good as Steph's--but did she use an online translator???? :angry:

Just a little update from my world, as I've been super quiet on the board lately...and likely will be for a while longer (which I hate! I miss you all and welcome to the newbies!).

On Thursday we are heading to a Lyme doctor for an evaluation to see if Lyme is a possible cause of my symptoms.

It is a five hour drive...

I am trying to stay in the MOMENT. I'm mostly packed. I treated myself to some new calming/relaxing music cds for the car.

Right now I am totally homebound and everything causes me to feel awful and to feel a lot of pain...

Any of the rest of you have any good travel tips for when you are soooo sick and you have to go to the doc???

Really, I think I have done everything in my power to prepare and I know I have to do this. So I just will! But, I can't say I'm looking forward.

I have talked to my docs about taking extra xanax and zofran to get through the car ride (I am most concerned about pain which makes me unable to rest---and the xanax helps with the pain).

Just needed to check in with all of you here! I will post when I can about the trip.

I guess I just needed to turn to you all for a few extra 'healing thoughts' (as our tearose would say)...you always lift me up when I need it most!

I know I will get through this trip...it's just gonna be hard!

I miss you all so much!

Lots of love...

Emily

Emily,

I wish I had lots of advice but I just wanted to say hi and that I hope you have a good trip and that it's worth all of the efforts you are making to get their.

Please keep us posted as to how it goes.

I really hope you get some answers...

Lisa :angry:

Hi Em,

I had to fly from Hawaii to GA recently, and on monday am returning. I prepared for the long trip by getting 1L. of Sodium Chloride IV four hours before departing. I also was able to lay flat on the plane.

I hope it goes smoothly and it doesn't wipe you out. If you can do the fluids, I'd reccomend it, it really made a difference for me.

Good luck,

Lauren

Dear Emily,

You said "we" are going. Therefore I am assuming you are not driving. Can you sleep a lot of the way there? That always seems to make time pass in a car more quickly for me. Of course if the pain is bothering you , that makes it extra hard. I always take everything along I need--pillow, blanket, food, water, CD player with headphone. Because I am so sun sensitive I ride in the back and put black trash bags over the side windows (they are already tinted very dark. Then I stretch out as much as possible, take a xanax and go to sleep if I can.

I hope you find some answers.

Everyone else gave great advice so I can't really add much except to say your in my thoughts and prayers. I assume mom is driving you, so I'm sure you'll be in excellent hands! Maybe you can bring along some books on audio to keep you entertained as well. I hope everything goes smoothly for you Em and that you return safely without any complications. :)

Hugs,

Gena

Hey Em..just wanted to letcha' know I'm thinking of you!! :) I had to make several long car trips when I was trying to get my diagnosis. We went back and forth to Mayo in Jacksonville 3 times..It's 6 hours one way. I had lots of fluids with me and it helped to have food to munch on..it distracted me...I know you have a hard time sleeping..so hopefully your CD's and meds will help you through it!! I know 5 hours seems like a long time..but you'll be there before you know it! Good luck with your appointment..I hope that it brings you some answers!! :)

Love to you all!

Okay Em, I've got it all arranged for you. I was just watching a documentary on National Geographic and it was about Air Force one. So what I'm going to do, is call mr Bush and ask him to send the Air Force one to your place so that you can travel by plane. I heard it's called "Angel" and I hope you will be flying like an angel! You can sleep during the trip and I saw they have real nice meals on board!!! Also they have lots of medical stuff on board (which of course I hope you won't need).

But to be serious now, I hope that your trip will go smoothly and that you will find answers. Warm wishes, I will be thinking of you.

Corina :)

So, it should read...

BONJOUR MES AMIES???

All of you who speak French were too kind to correct me, eh? I was trying to nap (trying being the operative word)...and all the sudden this thought comes into my mind...that I had written that little bit of French wrong! Now, I know I chose the feminine of Ami, but since we are mostly women here...I thought that was okay.

So, if I still have this wrong...will someone please correct me??? :) :) Big smiles.

Thank you all for your well-wishes--both here and email--and I apologize already if I don't get to email you back before I leave!

Do most of you recline in the front seat? Or find a way to lie down in the back seat? I don't think I could lie in the back? The only problem with the front seat is that my legs are not up as high as I would like...

Corina was seriously funny with her Air Force One comment!

And thanks for all of the good travel tips. I will be taking extra xanax, which right now is the only thing I know helps with pain. If I can get comfortable and not have so much pain, the ride should be okay. I will take a Zofran for nausea. I'll have lots of pillows and blankets! And a stuffed animal or two (sorry, I'll never grow up in this department!). (My list of things to take is pretty much what Jan said!)

As for the 'we' that is taking me on the trip (Michigan Jan...) it's BOTH of my parents! My parents are divorced! So...it's always entertaining. My stepmom watches Asher! My parents have worked so hard to do this for me...it's pretty amazing really. They get along better now that they are divorced than they did when they were married! Oh my...but they still pick at each other and 'talk shop' (sociology, sociology, sociology) a lot!

Anyways, this way my dad drives and my mom takes care of all the food and things. (We have to pack ALL of my food, etc.) Also, they will both be able to be at the appt. which I think is good.

Well, we're off tomorrow...in a Buick LeSabre...unless Corina has worked out that Air Force One flight for me! :D (Maybe we could get this for Lauren too? To get her back to Hawaii?)

Lots of love and I'll be thinking about you all! Thanks for your support.

Emily

Hi Emily,

I recline in the passenger front seat because I can use the seat belt. I also have access to the temperature control and the radio.

P.S.: I was very pleased with your French comment and I appreciate your incentive. Since you are asking for correction: When you adress a group of friends and you don't know them all very well (Forum) you say "Bonjour les amies". On the other hand, if you invite all the people (party, wedding, etc.) because they are all your friends you say "Bonjour mes amies".

It's like in French we don't say "My head hurts". We will say "J'ai mal ? la t?te" or literally translated "I hurt at the head". We say it this way because it is implied that when you have pain it's in your body.

Funny how even the though process varies from one language to another.

Hope you enjoyed the explanation!

Hi Emily!

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you'll have a very good appointment. I think you seem to have everything covered for the ride! I try to flex my calf muscles periodically in car rides to keep things moving and every once in a while try to bring my knees up to my chest when I start to feel a bit yuck. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. I hope you do well with the travel! Try to have fun along the way! Laura

Laura...thanks! Yes, I think I am prepared!

Ernie...THANK YOU soooo much for the french 'lesson'...I did want to know that information. I took French in High School and a little in college. I loved it soooo much and did really well in it, but just couldn't pursue it in addition to my major. I wish I still rememberd it though!

Merci and Bon Nuit (did I get that right? :)),

emily

When Teri drove me home from Chicago (12 hours) after my spinal surgery, the only way I managed it was being totally medicated... my surgeon gave me a snootful of prescriptions to take before starting the ride. I think I woke up once to use the bathroom, took the next dose and was back to sleep until the last half hour of the drive.

Safe travels!

nina

oh no! i messed up again! i gotta practice more...the only practice i get these days is reading the shampoo bottles! :) sorry, couldn't resist. but, everything in america seems to be in english and then in french...esp. beauty products!

thanks for making me smile so much before the trip ernie! i need to think of other things other than the trip! :)

i'm really going to bed now! :)

emily

My snootful was completely physician sanctioned. He wrote for a combination of neurontin, flexeril & percoset, and told us what doseage to use to make my ride home tolerable.

nina