Dentist appointment

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

WEll I went to the dentist today for the teeth cleaning...........

5 Cavities!................................... :):):o:):)B)

750.00 to fill them!------------------------- :):(:):o

The hygenist said I did an excellent job---gums look great!----(doing much better this time)!---BUT----you have teeth that a prone to decay-----soooooooo

The good news is that I have roots that are still OK----probably due to my continuous flossing and rinsing--------brushing-----it's constant. Food does not rest on my teeth for more then an hour unless i'm out of the house. They gave me travel gear for the road now, and told me to use a prescription tooth paste or a floride rinse in addition to the listerine. I hated the crest rinse without alcohol.

I have a two hour appointment on Oct. 31st to get all the work done. I'll need a bridge---actually have needed one for a while, but the Dentist is nursing the one tooth behind my missing molar until I can scrape up the money for the bridge. I have a bridge on my other bottom right side because I lost a tooth in 2000----had to have it pulled as the crown broke off. It seems the rest of my teeth are not that bad----It's a molar problem. Guess what my maiden name is?---Mohler----pronounced the same way........................ :P

I'm wondering if I should break up the appointment? I'll ask the Cleveland Clinic NSG. My neck is pretty touchy and I get real POTSY---so i'm wondering if I should have made that appointment to have them all filled at once. I'll use no novocaine/lidocaine----nothing. I'd rater deal with the pain---then deal with the reaction to the drugs. I'll talk to Dr. Grubb tomorrow at my appointment to get his view on this too. It is really hard to lay in the chair and have my mouth open like that. It really messes with my instability at the cervical/cranial area.

I need to whip up 350.00 for the appointment............... B) We have great medical insurance---but lousy dental......................

I take such good care of my teeth/gums---------but my husband doesn't get his teeth cleaned for a long time---and what do ya know----only one cavity---and it's on his wisdom tooth that needed to come out anyway----- and the thing popped right out. He just lost track of time on his cleanings and went a couple of years.............If I did that-------------- :huh:

One day i'll have great molars---or what's left of them----then i'll stick a big wad of bubblegum in my mouth and blow some bubbles.............Surgar free of course---- ;)

Julie :0)

Guest Julia59

Lauren,

I just have trouble with a lot of drugs. A lot of people with POTS have trouble with the epinephrine in the novocaine-----so they just ask to another numbing agent without.

You should be OK if you just ask for it without the epi.

I never had trouble before----but I do now due to my extreme hyper sensitivity to drugs.

Thanks for wishing my well on my dental work--------- :P

WOW that is alot of loot to shell out...!! :P

Maybe you should put alittle bit of time inbetween you dental work and you up and coming appointment in cleveland... as you know.. you never know how your body is going to react to things... better to be on the cautious side... you want to be able to tavel to cleveland to see these docs... and traveling is better when you are not having a potsy crash...

Sorry that you are having teeth problems that *****!

Hugs

Linda

Guest Julia59

JenniferInOhio

If you didn't have a reaction before---I wouldn't worry about it :P . But if your worried just ask for the type without epi.-------it still works the same way.

I used to have novocaine all the time----but it didn't bother me until I crashed really bad with my POTS. I used lidocaine after my crash, and it didn't seem to bother me until this year when Dr. Grubb used it to put in my cardiac loop recorder. He used it to numb the area----but he used a LOT----and I mean a lot!

I think a lot less is used for dental work. And a lot of people here do just fine with it.

b/c of my bone healing issues, you may recall that not only did I lose a tooth, but there was missing jawbone too boot. In order to pay for the many, many procedures over a 3 year period, my endodontist office offered a medical credit account called "care credit" which allowed me to pay over time. The office I work with is wonderful about making sure you CAN get the care you need.

nina

Julia

I feel your pain regarding the dental bills. I have always had a lot of dental problems. When I was younger, I spent a fortune on a total mouth reconstruction - jaw surgery etc because of a congenital abnormality. Of course, 25-30 years later it needs to be redone. There is no way I can afford that ($15,000-20,000 ) with Rachel's medical bills and college approaching. I avoid the dentist because I hate the lectures about how things will only get worse but - I just can't do it now, maybe never. Geez, the first time around I had to delay my own college because of the bills. We never had insurance when I was growing up so nothing got done until I was old enought to arrange on my own. I so envy people with naturally normal and healthy teeth/jaws.

Louise

Guest Julia59

Louise,

I hope some day you will get the care you need for your----teeth/jaws.

I can't imagine that kind of expense---I would be in the same boat----not able to do it. My congenital abnormalities didn't spread too much into the jaw---just the hyper mobile part. I feel blessed for that.

Nina, I have some bone loss in the back of my jaw areas, but so far the roots are hanging in there. My husband is going to set up a flexable spending account for dental. This money will be taken out of his check before taxes. I wish we would have thought about this sooner. I had such good dental insurance when I was working. I realize now how fortunate we were to have that. Meanwhile i'll have to ask the dentist office about the credit care plan. I like my dentist a lot---he is very understanding of my POTS and other health issues. In fact he asked me to bring a flyer with the POTS websites into the office. :)

The receptionist is good at her collection skills----she's right on top of things :P . I'll need $350.00 before they go into my mouth----and I have to pay my 90.00 balance before that. It could be a lot worse------so I have no right to complain really.

Ah----the joys of going to the dentist----I think a source of anxiety for a lot of us in one way or another. :P

Hi Julia,

Ouch, sorry about the cavities and cost! I don't think I have many teeth left that have either been filled or are crowned. :) The only teeth left are the pointy teeth on top and bottom. Any molars have all been worked on :P

I get numbed with out the epi in it. I ask everytime I go. I need to make my appt and go get them cleaned again. Hate the poking and prodding and scraping,yuck.

Just had the 4yr old get his cleaning. He had 3 cavities,,he still has all baby teeth. Cost 400 smackers for that. That certainly hit hard and these are baby teeth. But these are on teeth that won't come out until he is 9 or 10. The kicker is hubby went with him to get them filled and he did not even drill, just had to pick out the cavitiy with the pick and fill it. Guess we are paying for the fish tank and nintendo games in his office!! Can't wait until he can go to the reg. dentist like the rest of us. (The reg dentist could not work on him and referred us to a pediatric one).. :P