Social Security Disability

lalalisa

Which best describes your situation?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello!

I hope this isn't too comfusing with all of the options!

Please feel free to include whether or not you utilized lawyers in this process. I am still debating hiring a lawyer for my first application.

Thanks again,

Lisa

I got it on the first try. No lawyer ever involved.

I had extremely detailed records and application and I think it also helped that I had been to Mayo and they couldn't offer anything further for treatment. (I should point out though, that the Mayo clinic, generally speaking, does not get involved in disability paperwork but I had their reports included as part of my medical file).

Hi. This wasn't one of your options, but I applied for disability back in April, and it's still under medical review. They initially told me 90-120 days, but maybe it is taking longer since I moved to another state during the process. I, too, had detailed documentation from several physicians and they still made me have an exam with a psychologist, not even a doctor!! There goes the "you must be crazy" thing again!!But he was really nice. I'll keep you posted. I'm sorry for those who have had a hard time. I hope I don't have to go to court.

When I initially applied I lived in Montana, where lawyers won't even talk to you until you are ready to go to the hearing stage.

I lived up there for 3 years, during which time I got sick. We came back to Missouri when I got my second denial and I immediately turned it over to an attorney. They filed the reconsideration. Some states have that step and some don't.

Had we lived here from the first I would have turned it over to the attorney before I filed. Some of us are able to handle the paperwork; others aren't.

The amount the lawyer charges is the same weather it gets approved the first try or goes all the way to federal court.

Hello,

I had no idea that this process varies from state to state. Interesting....

Thanks for your replies. I probably should've included a choice for those who are in the process of applying such as myself! Oops!

Hope you have a good day,

Lisa

Hi.  This wasn't one of your options, but I applied for disability back in April, and it's still under medical review.  They initially told me 90-120 days, but maybe it is taking longer since I moved to another state during the process.  I, too, had detailed documentation from several physicians and they still made me have an exam with a psychologist, not even a doctor!!  There goes the "you must be crazy" thing again!!But he was really nice.  I'll keep you posted.  I'm sorry for those who have had a hard time.  I hope I don't have to go to court.

Melly,

They didn't send you to a psychologist because of the 'crazy' thing we all go through. In some states it's part of the procedure. My Mom was recently approved for disability in the state of Alabama and she had to see a psycologist. She has multiple health problems but not dysautonomia. She had even been told to bring a friend and a family member for the psychologist to speak to as well but he did not want to talk to them. The visit to the psychologist I think is really to weed out those who are 'malingering'(faking it). She recieved her first check 2 weeks before she recieved her letter stating she was approved because they come from two different places. Good luck to you!!!

Jill

Back in 2000 or so, as a "cost cutting" measure the job of screening and approving/denying the initial SSDI applications were turned over to the states. All states handle this chore differently.

My initial app was in Montana, where I had a very LONG process to go through and no attorney would even touch it until it got to the hearing level. Montana had NO effective Medicaid system.

In Missouri, where I moved by the time I was up for reconsideration (still at the state level) I qualified immediately for Medicaid because I had filedfor SSDI and the process here was much shorter.

So - in my experience - it depends on what it will cost the state to support you until you are approved.

I would suggest that you file the initial claim without a lawyer. I would include as much medical information you can about your particular case as well as on dysautonomia and pots as you can. I would wait until the reconsideration level.

BTW, the lawyer gets 25% of retroactive benefits (i.e., from the date of disability after the mandatory waiting period from the established onset date). Therefore, the longer the lawyer drags out the case, the more $ he/she would get.

Many claims are denied at the initial level. The denial rate declines at the hearing level. So, the moral is don't stop with the initial denial or reconsideration level. Keep on pushing ahead.

Denied twice--------now in the hearing stage............. B)

I have an attorney now. I have filed for an investigation against SSDI with the Ohio senators office. They have my case under active investigation now.

The reason--------> The doctor that works for SSDI lied about the examination and wrote false information on the report. This report was compared against three expert doctors who have diagnosed my conditions. The doctor lied about my neurological function saying it was completely "normal". This is sad indeed.

The most recent neurological examination by my NSG showed several abnormalities. I was diagnosed with mylopathy during this examination due to pressure on my cervical spinal cord. This is one of the reports that the Senators office used to compare with the bogus report from the SSDI Doc.

My attorney is aware of this and advised me to also write a complaint letter to SSDI. I told him I complained over the phone to a department that handles complaints, but he said it's better to have it in writing so I will have a record of it.

He is in the process of reviewing my letter of complaint---then it will be mailed certified.

There is not a doubt in my mind that there are flaws in the system for a reason....................................... B)

Julie :0)

yep...i needed the "in the midst of applying option."

my application was prompted by a requirement from my LTD company (through my employer); after 6months on LTD i was required to apply for SSDI & so - largely against my will - i did. i wasn't ready to admit that i wasn't going to have an upswing & truly wouldn't be able to work for more than a year. i assumed my application would then be all but trashed (aka denied easily) as i was trying to return to school this fall but that hasn't gone as i had hoped so with having to drastically reduce what i'm doing that actually gives more merit to my having filed SSDI.

i too moved to a different state soon after applying which i know delayed things by at least a month. i had to fill out entirely different supplemental forms/questionnaires (even though they said almost the same thing) just recently; ohio's were even more tedious than maryland's. 20 pages of my having to write about the things i can't do so well anymore....how depressing!

so...the jury's still out for me, although i'll be shocked if i get approved the first go around if for no other reason than i'm taking a few courses (6 hours). that & i wasn't too proactive about getting them all my medical records myself b/c i just didn't have it in me; my motivation isn't as great b/c i'm still receiving LTD through my employer, most importantly the insurance. so all SSDI would do for me now is mean that i get some money from them & less from my LTD - the same total. long-term it will matter b/c even if i stay on LTD i won't be able to keep the insurance forever, and thus would need medicare if i can't be working. SO hard to think about but i realize it's a possibility...

B) melissa

Thanks for all of the input!

Wareagle, how great that you were just approved!!

Persephone - I'm sure that was a great surprise for you!

Have a great day!

Lisa

I had my hearing the7th. My attorney said it takes 4-6 months to hear. So I am playing the waiting game. The vocational expert actually could come up with any jobs that an employer would adapt for my condition. So I wait. Does anyone know how far back the payments go if you are approved??????????????????/

Miriam

Miriam,

From what I've read the backpay goes back to the actual date you became disabled.

Hope you hear back soon and that your approved!

Lisa

miriam & lisa et al -

re: back-pay, it goes back to 5 months after your disability is considered to have began(so you would get $$ for the 6th months forward). but...no matter how long you have/could have been considered disabled, for the purposes of benefits it cannot be more than 17 months prior to your application (which means a year/12 months of potential benefits b/c of the waiting period).

but...the time constraints are based on when you apply, not when benefits are approved. confused yet??

here's the info from the SSA website:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0315.htm

bottom line is, regardless of how long you may have been ill or eligible, you cannot receive benefits dating more than a year before you initially apply....

hope this helps,

:ph34r: melissa

Melissa and Steph

Thanks for once again teaching me something new about this process. I wonder where I got that wrong info about backpay? It's all so confusing.

I appreciate you letting me know this -- you guys are correct in saying that we keep getting set up for disappointment with this process!!

Thanks again,

Lisa

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I got approved on the first try. What I think helped with my case is the detailed of daily living activities. I left nothing out. In many cases I compared what I can do now to how much more of that activity I was able to do before. I do mean everything from trying to brush my hair to unable to stand to cook dinner for my family. I tried to think of everything. It might not have been what helped because I did send my medical records but I truly believe it did. Oh you might want to make a copy of what you fill out........I had to fill the activities sheet out a few different times. Good luck.

Paige

Hi, I was denied just recently on my first disability claim and I am now waiting for the appeal decision which is most likely going to be denied...I do have a lawyer now, but we are waiting for the denial on the appeal, so we can go before a judge..