Important Question

ChadK

Has anyone ever felt heart beat in stomach , not just when the heart is beating fast but when laying and at rest when the heart is at a normal rythm. I have been to the doc and they have not ever found anything in my stomach but still seem to be worried about a abdominal aortic aneurysm eventhough I have been evaluated many many times. I was just curious if anyone at all ever gets this .

Also does anyone ever have leg pains with POTS. It feals like both of my legs muscles are aching and dull pain. Was just wondering if anyone at all ever gets this so maybe it will ease my mind because on top of that I have to worry about this new hurricane because I live in Myrtle Beach , SC. Hope to hear from you soon.

Chad

Hi

I havent experienced the heart beat in my stomach.. but I will get pulses (a heart beat ) through out my body.. I dont know why it ahppens though..

also I get alot of legs pain too..Um.. I have been told that it is partly related to pots/dysautonomia..

the pain I get a a very deepseeded kind of bone pain.. elevating my legs help this.. and also sleep for some reason will relieve the pain.. and keeping warm.. I find that when I am have extremely bad leg pain.. that I am very cold.. but yet at the same time cant handle the weight of the blankets on my legs.. go figure..

you could try taking Tylenol for the pain..

hope you feel better soon

Linda

Hi Chad,

I have a VERY strong pulse in my stomach, just above mt navel, a little towards the left. Often when I have a faint pulse at the neck or wrists you can look at my stomach and watch my pulse. I have been told that very thin people often have the strong pulse in the stomach. I have had it for years even prior to having full blown POTS. As far as the leg pains, I get pains in the side of my hips that radiate down the side of my legs and also get horrible cramps in my calf.

The thing I do not understand is , my stonach feels tight recently and in my back and I do not really have pain but it feals like my stomacvh is full of gas and no matter what I do sometimes it just feals like the muscles in my stomach are always tight and I do not understand that?

I can't say that I have the pulse in the stomach.

But I do get severe leg pains, what is strange, is the last time I spoke with the nurse for Dr. Fouad, she told me that I shouldn't have pain in the legs, she said "that is not POTS related". With you all saying you have pains, I feel a little better that I'm not by myself with the leg pains.

Tracy

Chad, I get the stomach pulse all the time when laying down, especially if I've eaten recently. I don't know about the tightness, but I also feel bloated pretty much all the time.

Chad, my gastro doc told me that when a bolus of food is in the stomach, like you've just eaten and lie down, or have slow emptying so it stays there awhile, the food lies under the aorta, so it feels like like that and can actually be painful. However, it is completely normal. When your stomach is empty, you won't feel it.

As for the leg pain, I've had fibro for 30 years, I just blame all my pain on that. morgan

Chad,

I just wanted to ask if you wore compression socks of any kind. I have noticed that my leg pain isn't quite as bad when I either wear my compression hose or socks.

If you don't wear them, it might be something worth checking into.

Tracy

i haven't experienced the "heart beat in stomach" (although i've had a wide array of other GI issues) but think i can relate to the leg pain you describe. i guess i would describe it more as aching or discomfort but that may just be b/c i tend to associate the word pain with a feeling that is more sharp or severe (just my own way of describing things, not based on anything other than that!) for me it's not joint or really muscle (though it can feel like muscle) but related to blood pooling. as such, i too would advocate the support hose/stockings. they help me in this regard, as does propping my feet &/or legs up as much as i can.

:lol: melissa

p.s. if there is a change in color, spotting, etc in your feet or legs this can be an indication of blood pooling...

tracy -

i can't say for sure & would have hoped that the nurse would be a bit more "in the know" but would be curious to know what her response might be if you had said heaviness instead of pain (although of course i don't know if this is an accurate description for you). some types of pain would not be considered typical of POTS but some are...glad that you've realized you're not the only one though!

:lol: melissa

Melissa,

I'd say heaviness is a good word, just plain uncomfortable :( .

When I went to pick up some pizza, I didn't want to put on my compression hose, but I didn't want to wear my compression socks with shorts, so I took them off. Till I got home, my legs felt so heavy and just yucky :lol: . So of course, put on the socks back on. I guess I'll stick to wearing the socks from sun up to sun down.

Hi, Chad. I'm sorry you're experiencing these symtoms and facing a possible hurricane. I'm originally from Charleston, SC and was on the peninsula when Hugo came through. I'll never forget it, and still get anxious when the wind blows!! My heart goes out to you and to the victims and refugees of Katrina or any other storm survivors.

As to your question about the heartbeat in your stomach, it may be due to esophageal spasms. Sometimes they mimic heart palpitations. But if you still feel very uneasy about it, tell your doctor and have it checked out again. You are your best advocate. But try not to worry about it too much. I've had that sensation before, and it turned out to be GERD-related.

Take care and be safe,

Melly