Gatorade bad for you?

Hi...

yeah I have "heard to" that gatorade is bad for you (cant remeber why though)

that is all I drink is gatorade and water..

I cant imagine not being able to drink my gatorade!!

I think it might also be because of the salt content? Not sure, though.

I know that a lot of things are considered "bad for you" but they are on my list (provided by my docs) of things I -NEED- to eat as much as possible. If I'm in a restaurant and other people see me salting my food like crazy, I usually get comments on it. I'm told that I don't know what I'm doing and that it will eventually kill me. They just don't understand that my body -needs- that. If I don't inhale salt constantly (so to speak) then I wind up taking more and more salt tablets just to stand upright. It's much cheaper to use the restaurant's salt shaker! ;-)

Anyway, so I think most people misunderstand our need for salt and electrolytes. Also, the sugar thing... but a lot of drinks are loaded with sugar so I don't see why they would target Gatorade.

Just my 2 cents...

:D

I had somebody tell me I was going to get "really fat" from drinking Gatorade. That's pretty nuts if you think about it...If you don't drink sodas, fruit juice and other stuff like that AND your body really needs the electrolytes, the chances of you gaining weight from it are pretty slim. You can always cut something else out of your diet or water it down like Steph does. I sometimes take fizzy water and put some fruit juice in it, just to flavor it. Than you cut down on some of the calories and high sugar intake and have a nice drink. Alot of the things that you do when you have POTS are considered "bad" but they are actually really good for us...though it varies from person to person. Eating tons of salt and alot of the other stuff we do, would be bad for most...my family prefers that if I cook for everybody, I season it normally, and than we can add salt to things as needed. Some family members need a low sodium diet, I need a high sodium diet. OH, I should probably put this in a new post but I have been using sea salt in place of table salt and find it makes me feel better. A friend of mine told me to try this...there is something about how it balances the alkalines in your body...either way, it helps me!

Somebody once said to me, "Don't you think all of this fainting is really unhealthy? You should really see about doing something about it and just stop fainting!" DUH!!! If only it were that easy...

I think whether it's a healthy food is based on a healthy person drinking it instead of water. Those of us with problems with blood volume, low BP, etc. need the extra salts and fluid that it provides.. I mean, sure, water with sodium chloride and potassium chloride dissolved in it would probably be healthier, but it's disgusting!!

It's not a whole food existing in nature. It's got dyes and refined sugars, and stuff like that. But I think it's better for us than it is for "them."

Gatorade has about 50 calories a serving. I try not to have more than a couple of glasses in a day. Actually, Gatorade only has about 100mg of salt, which is very low if you compare it to a lot of other salty foods. I can't tolerate salt tablets and don't like over-salting my food. So Gatorade isn't enough for me and I get most of my salt through organic vegetable broth from Whole Foods. A cup or 2 of broth really does the trick...and the best part is that it has no calories! Smartwater and Fruitwater also have electrolytes and no calories. I think they work better than regular water, but they are not as good as Gatorade or soup for me.

We're all different and if guzzling Gatorade worked for me I would do it. Because I'd rather have a few extra pounds than a few extra POTS symptoms any day! :ph34r:

I believe it is b/c of the sugar/calories and also I have read that it does not absord al the way in your system b.c of the ratio of sugar to sodium and potassium.....

A healthier alternative would be adding electromix to water. Or adding a 1/4 tsp or so of celtic or hymalayan sea salt to every liter of water.......

Thats what I do since I cannot even tolerate a sip of gatorade or any of those drinks b/c of the sugar and carbs......

Gatorade should not have any affect on your bones. Carbonated drinks do though. The carbonation leeches calcium from your bones and disrupts calcium absorbtion. Pedialyte is a better choice of electrolytes, it has a higher electrolyte content, but it does cost more than gatorade. Laura

Gatorade has about 50 calories a serving.  I try not to have more than a couple of glasses in a day.  Actually, Gatorade only has about 100mg of salt, which is very low if you compare it to a lot of other salty foods.  I can't tolerate salt tablets and don't like over-salting my food.  So Gatorade isn't enough for me and I get most of my salt through organic vegetable broth from Whole Foods. A cup or 2 of broth really does the trick...and the best part is that it has no calories!  Smartwater and Fruitwater also have electrolytes and no calories.  I think they work better than regular water, but they are not as good as Gatorade or soup for me.

We're all different and if guzzling Gatorade worked for me I would do it.  Because I'd rather have a few extra pounds than a few extra POTS symptoms any day!  :ph34r:

I'm with you, Rita. I live on veggie boullion and miso soup packets!! I only drink gatorade or pedialyte when i'm in a pinch.

:( Hi Guys! This may seem a silly question but Gatorade is not something I have come across here in the UK. I presume from posts that it is some sort of sports drink but what does it contain that helps with POTSY moments?

Sorry! :ph34r:

My doc. suggested propel H2O, if you can't drink gatorade. There also is sugar free gatorade, which is available at wal-mart. My son also introduced me to electrolyte pills, after going from Seattle to San Antonio for 6 weeks training this summer. Miriam

Hi there Madwife,

I haven't been able to find Gatorade in the UK so far (been here for 3.5 weeks), but Powerade is pretty much the same thing. I don't like it as much, but only if I'm desperate. It's sold by Coca-cola, and I've only seen it in blue here.

It's got sodium and potassium, which can help us get back on track if we're electrolyte-depleted.

:( Thanks for the info Jen and Megan...will have to keep an eye out for that Megan as haven't come across it. Hope things are going well for u in the UK...how u finding it? :lol:

Guest Finrussak
  :(  Hi Guys!  This may seem a silly question but Gatorade is not something I have come across here in the UK.  I presume from posts that it is some sort of sports drink but what does it contain that helps with POTSY moments?

Sorry!  :lol:

Hi

Gatorade is a brand of a few different types of sport drinks...theres "extreme" and "ice" etc... the x-factor type I have here for my son ( he is a bear about being fully hydrated...and he has chronic lyme and maybe evn POTS or OI- so at this point anything fluid I get down him is OK)...ingred of punch berry flavor: water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural flavors ( this has me a bit worried ),salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, Red 40 ( another concern); ester gum, sunflower oil

per 8 oz (240 ml)=50 cal; 110 mg sodium; 30 mg potassium ( a very TINY amt given that normal people need about 4,ooo mg), 14 g carbs with 14 g sugars

0 fat and protein

I dont know about absorption...my feeling is anything that doesnt make you sicker, and gets the quantity of fluids in that you need...is good

hope this helps