Armpit pain

briarrose

I think I?ve made at least one discovery about that horrible armpit pain that some of us may get. I say one discovery because I don?t think that it accounts for all of it.

Can?t remember when it started, if it was one year ago or two, I?m thinking two years ago; I would have this incredible pain in my armpits. Sometimes it was so bad that I would wake up out of the middle of a dead sleep and be in excruciating pain. It could last for a couple of days and I might occasionally have some slight swelling in more than one spot. I went to the doctor twice and he did nothing for me either time, he didn?t understand what I was talking about.

Bare with me, this is going to sound strange. One brand of deodorant rarely last more than 6 months because I think my body chemistry changes and it is no longer effective against body odor, I reek when I sweat. Well I?m about out of brands of deodorant to try so I went back to one I?ve used before. Within a day it caused me to have that severe pain in my pits that I haven?t experienced for several months now. I couldn?t believe it so I switched back and forth between the one that gives me very little protection and the one that is very strong. Sure enough the stronger Man?s deodorant that I have used before makes my armpits swell and painful.

Don?t know, might be something to it.

Steph

OK, I was feeling pretty stupid for posting this so I actually had to see if there was anything to it. Thank god I found an answer. And remember I said that it might only be one answer for multiple problems of armpit pain (axillary). I am extremely chemical sensitive. Perfume causes me to have migraines. Recently a sunblock caused me to have severe nausea, thank god I had some zofran or I would have been heaving.

Steph

http://www.oztoxics.org/cmwg/library/cases...sitivity_1.html

Hello,

you really should not feel stupid, I have that strange arm-pit pain! and I am used to have terrible trouble with deodorants.

I tried so many brands and found one that works perfectly for me, it is very gentle but very effective - I shall post the details tomorrow as I can't remember the name. I have a friend (no POTS) who hates to use chemicals, and she uses a crystal - she said she used to smell so bad without deodorants, however this holds everything at bay, and is completely 100% natural - have you though of giving this a whirl??

I have had the pain for quite some time in my arm-pits, and I went to my doctor, this was pre POTS diagnosis, however the pain can be caused by your glands swelling - have you ever had glandular fever?? I personal seem to find they hurt more during a bad patch, and I also get a similar pain in my pulse points in my neck, I plan to talk to my professor about this in a couple of weeks.

I've not had a chance to read your link, but just wanted you to know that you shouldn't feel stupid!

Louby.

Let me know how you get on, i was very sceptical about the crystal working as a deodrant (sounds very strange to me that a rock can stop you from being smelly)

however, apparently it really does work - my friend has never looked back. she actually started usuing the crystal, as was concerned about breast cancer, there have been loads of scares over here, with the possible link between breast cancer and deodrants.

Good luck!

The pain may be caused by your lymph nodes swelling as a reaction to the deodorant.

I have many problems with lymph node swelling under my right arm. I have had some lymph nodes removed from my left, so for some reason they don't swell. I've found that taking an anti-inflamatory, like Motrin, or applying heat seems to help. Know what you mean about the pain, sometimes it is horrific. However, I can't find a link as to what causes them to swell. My MD says as long as they go back down, not to worry.

If it is the deoderant your not alone. I noticed a couple of years ago that when I used spary on deoderant I would get sharp pains in my arm pits. So I switched to a unsented gel deoderant. I don't get any pain from it unless I have to apply it more than once a day. Even then the pain isn't as bad as the spary on variety.

Scented types seem to cause more pain as well. I guess our bodies are just overly sensitive to these chemicals.

I think your right about the scented ones. Because it's the stronger ones that I"ve used that I have the severe pain. My lymph nodes do swell too, think that accounts for the severe pain. Anyone who has been sick and had there neck nodes swell know the pain that I'm talking about.

But when I use the men's sport degree or old spice I have the worst problem.

I know that someone was talking about protection from deodorant at ndrf sometime last year before I thought of this and recommended using odaban, but does it protect you from body odor without the pain?

And I appreciate people responding to this strange posting, thank you!

steph

Actually, salt is effective at killing bacteria--if you took college biology and/or chemistry you may recall that all living cells contain fluids, and the salt changes the balance of fluids--causing the bacteria to dehydrate in the presence of a high concentration of salt. This is why many cured meats are cured in salt brine...and why you're asked to rinse your mouth with salty water after oral surgery. Salt inhibits bacterial growth. The rock crystal you've been posting about is essentially a bit salt crystal--the high concentration of salt will cause the bacteria to die. If you look at the ingredients on antiperspirants/deodorants, you'll see all kinds of salts such as aluminum hydroxide.

Nina

I would tend to think this would be a result of lymph node swelling as well- I've definitely had it before and I've used the same deodorant for several years...interesting ;)

This has just been an observation, but as I continue to switch back to some of my old deodorants I'm having increased swelling and pain. Possibly sensitivity to some chemicals or scents they use. I can actually sometimes tell when I put it on that I will have continued problems (pain) because now it will sting going on.

I was very happy with my last deodorant and it's been months since I had that horrible pain and swelling. For at least the last 6 months I've been use Tom's of Maine which is a natural deodorant, but it no longer provides protection from B.O. I wonder if I could continue to use that with Odaban?

Pamyla, Odaban is the correct one that I read about at the NDRF. I didn't realize that you have to use it with your regular deodorant, what a bummer.

MightyMouse thx for your logical input.

Roy & llp479 - thx for your input too, I'm glad that someone else noticed.

Steph

Just got done reading all the comments and am glad, sort of, that someone else had armpit pain. Thought I was strange. I hadn't come across anyone else who'd had that symptom.

My problem now, since reading all of the comments, is that I've been using the same product for years now and my pain comes and goes. I haven't found anything that sets it off. At least haven't noticed any. Any clues?

Also, does anyone have arm pain. I can have a horrible aching pain start in my wist or elbow and radiates up the arm. It's not a throbbing pain. I don't feel the blood rushing or anything. It's like a horrible tooth ach type pain. I can't lift the arm or use the hand. It lasts for several minutes and then goes away. My heart doesn't hurt, my jaw, nothing like a heart attack. I feel fine except for the awful pain in my arm. Does anyone else have this problem or know what causes it.....Thougth since it was kinda in the same area as the armpit, that I'd ask.....

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that I know what your talking about and I don't think it's related at all to the armpit pain. The arm pain is swollen lymphs and sometimes excrutiating pain that can wake you out of a dead sleep vs. the arm ache that can be intense and radiate, although it can go into my face and shoulder.

I'm sorry, I'm sure that someone else can help better in this area. Other than Neurontin for my achy joints I haven't found anything that helps much. I've just learned to accept pain. I think one of the worst is the pain that you get in your back that keeps you from breathing.

Steph