POTS And the Covid vaccine?

Mady

@Mady - I experience bouts of extreme fatigue and exhaustion at times from POTS. When it happens I stay mostly in bed but do leg and abs exercises in bed and get up at least every 30 minutes to stretch and walk a bit. I have to really push myself to do this b/c my body wants to just curl up and wait it out but I have learned the hard way that this will end up in an even longer and harder struggle to get back to normal. I also learned that going outside just for a few minutes counteracts the fatigue, especially in cold weather. If I sit on the porch for a bit and the sun and air hit my face it revives me and I feel a bit better. --- Try to avoid napping during the day to ensure a good nights rest, and eat and drink regularly. Loading up on Vitamin C can help during those times, and making sure you take enough Vitamin D. 

I wish you a quick recovery!

So to continue this I do have a pretty red swollen place where I got the shot which is normal. Last night I had flashes of a feeling of impending doom. I actually have this feeling a lot but mostly in the mornings and it's mostly continuous whenever I have it, not flashes. I was just looking up vaccine side effects and feeling of impending doom can be a constitutional symptom. Just FYI for those getting the shot.

I just wanted to say that I have POTS and had the first dose covid vaccine... not too many issues that would vary from a standard flu vaccine...tiredness, arm was sore and overall body aching for a couple days, coldness... I wanted to mention that I did have some medication interference with my propranolol 120 and fludrocortisone for 2-3 days... I also have this same issue with the flu shot and many over the counter cold and flu medications. 

Hello Hippo sorry to hear u got co-vid but crazy happy u have confirmed my suspicion that people with long covid have POTS symptoms. Try to stay positive. I’m 59 n can’t get shot yet. I’m almost year 9 with POTS. My latest POTS fight is learning to stand n walk again after braking leg for Xmas. This is my 5th fall in 9 years. Signed, Ms Allergic to Gravity~

• 4 weeks later...

I've been diagnosed with Hyper POTS for 10 years now and I received my first Moderna shot on Saturday. Sore arm and bruising, which is super normal for me. I did find myself to be more tired than normal and actually slept a whole night without waking up lol! Other than that, no other symptoms, not even aches, headache, or chills.  I'll see what happens with the second dose, as I've heard that one seems to affect people (healthy, etc) more than the first.  But, as an aside, I have never had issue with flu vaccine either. 

I've definitely been interested in the long haulers that have gotten COVID-19. My friend had it about 4 months ago and now has POTS symptoms, which she's never had in her life. I've been seeing a lot of that in studies, so I'm wondering what the connection is.  That being said, I am so excited to have started the vaccine; I've been worried about POTSies post COVID if this is the case. 

1 hour ago, cmreber said:

My friend had it about 4 months ago and now has POTS symptoms, which she's never had in her life. I've been seeing a lot of that in studies, so I'm wondering what the connection is.

It's not really anything new - they used to call it post-viral malaise. Some people get POTS-like symptoms after a major viral illness, like EBV or Lyme etc. It's just that so many people get COVID that of course a lot also get the prolonged POTS-like symptoms that it is being talked about right now. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 4:17 AM, Pistol said:

@mae2480 - what were the symptoms of the medication interactions?

I'm so sorry I didn't receive any notification that there was a question to my comment. The interference was that my heart rate stayed over 100 almost consistently for the first and second day after the covid vaccine. Also, this also happens with the flu shot and otc cold/flu meds.

I got my first vaccine dose almost 2 weeks ago (Moderna).  I definitely didn't feel well for a full 24 hours after getting the shot.  I got a weird taste in my mouth immediately and then a few hours after, I started to feel strange.  No fever or tachycardia, but I didn't sleep all night.  I was lethargic, had a mild headache and sore back/neck and complete brain fog. It really felt like it triggered an episode of POTS minus the fast heart rate, if that makes sense.  It wasn't unbearable, but I was completely out of it. Then suddenly all the symptoms went away.  So overall, it wasn't that bad.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the second dose.