chest pain-WHY?

Anyone else evre get this? My ECGs are always fine. I've been meaning to ask you about it for ages- right now it's as if my breast bone has clicked out of place- so SORE!

Could this be EDS related? Why does it only happen on days when I'm POTSy?

any ideas? :blink:

One Dr thought it could be a sharp change in heart rate causing chest wall pain. Others tell me it's in my head etc etc...but why does it happen when I'm thinking about other stuff then? :o

Grrr. Any answwers/opinions gratefully received! :(

I too often have chest pain. I don't really have any good advice but just wanted to offer some support and say that I hope you feel better soon.

Sometimes I feel like my chest muscles are in a deep spasm and it causes a lot of pain. Maybe you could experiment...sometimes ice helps and sometimes heat helps. Also, very gentle stretching exercises sometimes help too.

Also, increasing your potassium probably wouldn't hurt either just in case that is part of the problem...just eat a baked sweet potato or banana or some other food high in broccoli.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hi,

I don't have any good advice, but just wanted to add that I often have severe chest pain, ecg's normal usually, holter just showed the pvc's common in POTs and fluctuations between tachy and brady. It used to be really scary, but I've been having it for years without more severe consequences, so we don't make a big deal of it. I try to rest until it passes.

Wishing you that it goes away soon

Ariella

I know what you mean, Ariella- I just try to live with it and not make a fuss, in fct I never usually even tell people how sore it is. But I just wanted to see how many other folks got it and see if anyone could hypothesise about why it could be happening, as no medic has ever been able to tell me.

At the hospital in London, where all the POTS experts are supposed to be, a registrar told me I was anxious! That was ultra disappointing, but if other people with POTS are experiencing the same pain, then I know I'm not imagining it. So thanks for the replies, guys! :(

persephone,

I also really resent the "anxious" comment. Someone who doesn't know you and how well you are handling this should not have the audacity to dismiss this as anxiety. It reminds me of when I went to the ER a while back because my feet felt like they were on fire...I seem to have some peripheral neuropathy. Neuro told me at the time that if anything else strange happens I should go to the ER. So the doctor there saw me and being I could touch my nose---thank God no brain tumor :) ,he told me that I'm suffering depression. Went back to my regular doc, told him what this ER doc said, and he laughed really hard--"YOU???depressed? never seen anyone with such good attitude. Don't listen to him. He's just a kid".

Persephone, your attitude is nothing short of inspiring, and the chest pain ain't anxiety...but being that I've had it for years and still tell about it, probably just a nuisance and not something dangerous.

Ariella

I too have this chest pain. I was told that it was due to the tachycardia causing irritation of the lining between my heart and breastbone. The ONLY thing that has helped ease the pain is Mobic. I take it twice a day. The day I do not take it...the pain comes back.

Anyway...just thought I would say that this is a "me too" issue.

~Lisa

just another variant of a "me too" to add....for me chest pain isn't a daily or frequent thing, but i have had some pretty severe bouts, largely when my heart rate has been low. several years ago it was the worst ever to the point of dr. grubb sending me to the ER; ended up my HR was in the 30s & i was on a cardiac unit for several days. at that point it was seemingly that my heart was having to work too hard in a way which was thus causing the pain. it's never been as bad since in terms of chest pain but when it happens my HR is always on the lower side rather than the POTSy high HR that happens on a more regular basis.

FYI, chest pain was something i was asked about on a regular basis while i was at Vanderbilt (on the daily questionaires for the med trials). they wouldn't have been asking if it's not a common thing. unfortunately not an answer, but you're definitely not alone.

hope you're back to having some better days soon!

:-)melissa

Hi persephone

just wanted to comment on the chest pain. EDSers commonly have chest pain due to many factors such as mitral value and just plain strain of the cartilage. It is possible to strain the sterum and it will hurt like crazy. Also costeochrondritis can occur and it is very painful to touch. People with EDS also can dislocate their ribs which are usually the lower ones though but it causes pain and the muscles and tissues feel very sore to touch. My daughters and I have also experienced this problem.

I got one for you....my daughters have dislocated their throat and have to move it back in place, this has only happened a few times thanks goodness, it's rather startling when it happens. The doc said it is uncommon but possible to the cartiliage being affected by the EDS....weird huh?

good luck and hope you are feeling better soon.

I have chest pain every day of my life. Sometimes so bad that it brings me to my knees with the most expressive words come out of my mouth. What works are beta-blockers. Great stuff for heart cramps. Now that I am trying to fall pregnant I miss my beta-blockers terribly. All I can take now is Magnesium tablets. This works great and I dare not skip a day. My body tells me very soon if I have forgotten to take my magnesium tablets. I have pots and Barlow?s syndrome. I also believe my body does not react normally to pain. I have Fibrom... as well so I believe this is probably why my body makes my pain worst than a normal person would experience it. Sometimes I want to pass out from the pain. Funny bodies we have. I just believe my body is very sensitive.

I have noticed I must not get very angry. I have horrible heart cramps shortly afterwards. Luckily I don?t get that upset very often. Dont listen to the doctors. Most have no idea what they talking about. I only listen to my doctors and walk away from the un educated ones.With a good laught of course. :P

Hi Persephone;

I get chest pain all the time. It gets more intense when I am panicy or under some stress. Ten years ago, when my dysautonomia symptoms started, I would have such painful chest pain that I would go to the hospital only to be sent home. I once went to see my doctor when I was having an anxiety attack, so he could see what I go through. He explained to me that when my body is in a panic or stressed all the muscles tighten up. During this we have a hightened awareness of our heart rate so we can also feel the surrounding muscles more also. He then gently pushed on the center of my breast bone with one hand and his other hand in the middle of my back. I almost went through the roof. He told me that is chest wall pain.

It is scary, and my panic gets worse the more I think about it when it comes on. Stay strong!!

KathyP :)

Hi peresphone,

I only started getting chest pains a few months ago, i was coughing and then i just passed out, my chest was hurting that badly i asked someone to call an ambulance, my ecg like yours was normal but i was dizzy and in a lot of pain, the doctor at the hospital said that i'd pulled a muscle or that when i hit the floor i'd done some kind of muscular damage.

i get chest pain quite a lot now though and i don't think it has anything to do with anxiety. wish i knew what it was though!

I used to plauged by frequent chest pain, but it has since ceased since switching my beta blocker to toprol extended release which delivers the medication over 24 hours. My doctor explained that my heart maynot be getting the oxygen it needs temporarily during a PVC or tachy episode, hence the pain. It generally passed very quickly. While there is no danger to the heart it is very scary and I am glad to have gotten rid of that symptom. I hope you find something that works for you.