Tilt Table Test

purplefocus

I had a tilt table test yesterday and it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting but it wasn't enjoyable either. The worst part to me was the arterial line and being strapped to the table. After they was watching me awhile they had decided to give me the medicine to see if they could simulate me fainting but I fainted before they had to give me any medicine. They then decided to put me on atenolol. Just curious if you have had this and what it was like for you.

I had my TTT a number of years ago--it was tiring, but not awful. Not much worse than my average tough day... the worst part, for me, was the headache I got from going without coffee. I had a HUGE cup from Starbucks after the test, and then slept in the car most of the way home. My cardiologist said that I "failed with flying colors". They stopped my test at 15 minutes in because my blood pressure was very, very low--enough for them to make a dx and lay me flat again.

Nina :)

The tilt table test for me was very hard. My blood pressure dropped and I passed out in 4 minutes.

But before I passed out, I was crying and begging her to stop it, and saying that I couldn't take it anymore. I think it was just as bad as childbirth for me. And I hope I never have to get another one.

Julie

I had a Tilt Table Test also. I only lasted 4 minutes also and I got very upset before I passed out Like very scared as if I was going through all the motions, Like feeling like you are going to die, everything shuts down. I was told some people just pass out quick and other people (like me) feel the whole thing comming on. I would NEVER want to do that test again!! But it did confirm that I had Pots.

Kimberley

I still have nightmares about the tilt tests, I'm going back on the table in a couple of weeks. Not for the full test, but a part tilt (just as bad in my opinon)

They only had part tilted the table and I started to go, by full tilt i was like a jelly. I had no idea what was happening to me, and was absolutely terrified - but it was thanks to this test, and the doctor who was doing it, that I discovered I had POTS.

I couldn't remember where I was and how I had got there for ages, I couldn't even remember how to get back to my boyfriend who was outside waiting for me. the nurse was fabulous and took so much time to make sure I was ok. I remember the doctor saying that he had never seen BP so low, and that I had POTS - I remember this ages later, and we just laughed as how could there be an illness called POTS.

I then had a nightmare, as the results were not sent to my then neurologist, for my next visit - they arrived the next day. when i saw him he sent me on my way and told me i would get better, that i was just stressed (if i was a bloke this would never have happened) at this point i was very sick. Lucky for me the doctor who did the test really came through for me, he returned my calls and got those results through, talked through meds etc with me, and gave me some great advise.

My wife has had a few TTTs. She used to fail them, but after the last failure they admitted her and implanted a pacemaker. Her heart would actually stop for a significant period and they would have to bring her back. She has had two TTTs since the pacemaker and "passed" both where her heart was concerned, but watching her vitals on the one they did at Mayo to diagnose POTS made me really understand what happens to her body when she goes through those incidents.

I was in the hospital a full week before they diagnosed me with POTS after tons of other tests. I don't know if they didn't have a tilt table but I was not given one. I think the doctor said something about being in the cardiac care unit he could see the same results since I was on monitors 24x7 and he would tilt me every time he came in the room. Since then my new neorologist suggested doing one. My question was will it change my treatment plan...he said most probably not, so unless I go to one of the true experts, I can't see the point.

I also was diagnosed by tilt table test last September by Dr. Grubb. I made it the entire time (I think 15 minutes?) and it was awkward and uncomfortable (especially with a group of interns watching). I did not pass out but by the end of the test I was beginning to cry. Somehow, which I don't pretend to understand and I don't know if others experienced this or not, but it took an emotional toll standing that long. I made it but felt awful. I was so glad they did not do the injection part.

The thing is, I had a witnessed 30-beat increase from lying to sitting at one ER visit and Dr. Grubb documented a 40-beat increase from sitting to standing in my first office visit with him before the TTT. When I had the TTT, I had only a 20+ beat increase (and they look for 30 beats I think) but Dr. Grubb still said it was positive (and after all, my resting rate was 110-115 so 20+ beats was still very uncomfortable). I'm not sure what my blood pressure did during the test but I think it maintained itself for the most part with the increase in heart rate since I never passed out. I have never passed out in my life though yet felt very close 1 time. Most times just dizzy and weighed down by gravity.... The test felt stressful to my body though and took an emotional toll and again I was so glad I didn't have to have the injection because I was afraid of how fast my heart would go then!