arts and crafts suggestions?

Radha

Corina, I used the watercolor crayons to make my cards. I would draw with the crayons, then dip my finger into water, and dab the areas I wanted to be "softer" looking.

EM, there's also an Ikea in Pittsburgh--isn't that closer to you??

Corina, as for making bracelets as a fundraiser--that's a tough one--not impossible, but certainly more difficult than having a company make items for us. During the last fundraiser, we sold 250 bracelets. With all of us being health-impaired, there's the possibility that I or others wouldn't be able to complete tasks they've volunteered for; therefore, ALL the bracelets would have to be finished before we started telling members about them. Why wait? Because of the issue of the responding to the emails from potential buyers and actual buyers--if I told you how many emails I got during the last fundraiser, I'm certain you would gasp...I'll give you a hint that it's at least 4 digits long...and the first digit is not a "1". :unsure:

Yes, I have positioning issues with my neck--that's why I have my laptop. I often sit with it at a table, so that I don't have to lean forward.

Making a website is pretty easy. Some providers offer a free template that walks you through with just point and click stuff. http://www.createafreewebsite.net/

So, you pick a color, then you pick a layout, etc., and once you put it together, you just add your text.

I looked up adelphia, and here's the link to read about your 10mb of space. http://www.adelphia.com/high_speed_interne...rvice_plans.cfm

Or, you could just create a blog--it's free, and they walk you through the steps quickly. You'll have a site within 10 minutes :Phttp://www.blogger.com/start

Nina

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU nina...

i cannot believe you had that many emails about the bracelets...eeeekkkk...

nope, not hear pittsburgh either...4 hours! but, i will get me an IKEA catalog to drool over...

speaking of which...radha, catalog shopping is always fun! :D

nina, thank you so much for looking at the web stuff for me. that was really kind. i don't have a digital camera yet, but i think that when i get one (dad says he's getting us matching ones soon!) it would be fun to be able to put pics up and stuff...you know? i checked out your site and it is just so great to see your pics and your life.

adelphia is a spotty at best these days, as it was down almost the entire day again today, and was out for two whole days a couple of weeks ago. it's a bit frustrating, but they are the major provider in our area...hopefully the kinks will get worked out!

radha...i'm glad you got some good ideas...it is satisfying to be created something for someone else. but, even coloring...i got a book with winnie the pooh coloring and they were small posters...i would color them, write a note on them and send them to my friends. they loved it! it's just goofy and cheery.

i think you can NEVER go wrong with a box of crayola crayons and markers and maybe some glitter glue! maybe some stickers...those foam ones that are popular now are cool. and some blank note cards. keep it simple to start. i hate having too many things to work with...you know, by the time you get it all out and set up you're too tired...so i say, get a box of crayons or markers and just color or something! or, knit, knit, knit. you can also knit baby afghans for tons of causes and donate them...you will know someone in need is getting them, which feels good.

okay, rambling.

anyway, thanks for all of the great tips...

em

This is a great topic! I knit and I felt frustrated because I am an advanced knitter and wasn't able to use the tiny needles and focus on complex patterns. We went in a aknitting shop oneday where I could be on a sofa and relax. We found a chunky yarn, and I have knit a sweater on size 15 needles! The pattern was very simple and won't go out of style. I am working on another sweater, a scarf (small needles but I just knit it) and a few other things. I like to make felted objects. You need a yarn that is all wool, and once it is knitted you put it in the washer and it shrinks down and becomes solid and you don't see stiches. You can make purses, hats, bedroom slippers, and even cute flowers with this process. I also like doing this when I feel bad because if I make a mistake I don't have to correct it most of the time, because you won't see the goof in the finished project!!

I find circular needles better to work on because they are easier for me to hold and travel better. I use TONS of pillows behind me in bed to prop me up, and another pillow or so on my lap or beside me. Sometimes a bed tray works too. I also use a laptop instead of a desktop. I get exhausted using a desktop and like that I can position myself without strain and use a laptop in bed. I had to fiddle around some to find the right way to angle it, but now I've got it down.

I too love coloring! A family member picked me up a silly kids coloring book and crayons at the grocery store and I love it!! Simple but very amusing for me, and it sounds like you all enjoy it too. I have been painting some on days I feel better but not recently. We put some blankets on the floor and I painted on the floor pretty much laying on my side.

I watch alot of DVDs when I feel bad, since its low effort and can be done laying down. I've done some beading, but as it was pointed out can get really expensive. If you just look, you can keep the price down though. Knitting is the same way, but now Michael's and a few other craft stores are carrying very good quality yarns, and the fur yarns for scarfs.

Well, I hope this helps somebody!

Hi Everyone! :)

Emily, (and everyone else too!), I just did a search on the internet for "Coloring Pages" and copied a few of the sites I found. I had done this a long time ago in the past when I was trying to find some children's activities for daycare and had come across them "accidentally". It's fun AND you don't have to worry about driving to a store (in my case I can't drive & I have to find people to take me everywhere).

I also have another thing to occupy your time...I know it may sound silly but sometimes I've just searched for all the household products I commonly use and search their websites and sign up for free samples, coupons etc and then that way I get free sample stuff in the mail to try. Plus, being on a tight budget the coupons really help and most of the time they are better coupons than what you find in the paper.

Sometimes I just watch commercials and get a laugh

Check this out....

http://www.quisp.com/cartoon/index.html :D

This is a great topic and lots of ideas! I've had a headache going for days now and haven't been able to respond until now.

Pooh - thank you so much for those web sites!!!! I too love to color. I prefer colored pencils because it doens't make quite as much mess as crayons, but then, you do have to sharpen them so I guees it's a toss up.

I enjoy knitting, but I too have found that patterns are hard to follow and my memory makes it hard too. I am currently knitting a blanket because I get cold a lot in the winter. I have my basket next to my chair and can pick it up anytime I feel like knitting. I love the scarves too.

I also have a laptop computer (a gift from my dad as a coping mechanism) I have a few computer games I play - one is a horse riding comeptition. But as for crafts, I have a clip art program and I can make cards, bookmarks etc on it.

I guess I didn't really have any unique suggestions - BUT I did have an idea... With all of us fun crafty people, maybe we could have an auction as a fundraiser. I'll have to think this through and see if it is really reasonable for me to volunteer to do run it. Maybe it's too much work, but I thought we might have a lot of beautiful stuff to donate!

OK - going to the bead website that Nina posted. I'm afraid I'm going to get hooked on beads....

Cheers!

~Roselover

Man...I wasn't necessarily in need of any ideas but I'm still enjoying everyone's thoughts, suggestions, links, etc...thanks everyone!!

:-)melissa

p.s. in theory your auction idea sounds great, and i don't at all want to quelch any possibilities, but i've been involved with silent auctions locally over the years & they are A LOT of work...more than one would ever imagine (aren't most things?)...just wanted to give you the heads up!

Melissa, yeah... I kinda guessed that. It's just fun to think of an outlet... someplace where my crafts end up. Also, I'd like to support DINET. Well, maybe someday I'll really be up to overseeing an auction.

I forgot to mention that I do most of my day living in a really comfy recliner. I have a memory foam pillow that I use behind my head or back when needed, but a good quality recliner is a must for me... I just have to get out of the bedroom. I often don't make it out until mid morning, but I like the change of scenery AND the change of position helps the muscle cramps a lot.

I have a bookshelf set up next to my chair with my books and crafts on it, a candle for aroma therapy and a spot for my gatorade. Then I have a little table with my laptop. Once I sit down, I'm set... until I need the little girls room. :blink:

~Roselover

• 3 weeks later...

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!!!!! :)

I created a Blog Nina!!!! I am just a wee bit proud of myself if you can't tell! I usually don't have the patience to do this stuff (even though it's super-easy, I know) or the concentration/clarity!

I have a question about putting up personal info. in your profile? How much is safe to share in terms of where you live, name, etc? Just wondering. I get nervous about this internet stuff?

Can I create a link to DINET on it??? That way I could direct my friends to one place about me and DINET when they have questions...

THANK YOU!!! I am soooo excited about this!

If you are having a Friday evening as exciting as mine (he-he) please check out my new Blog!

http://adancinglight.blogspot.com

later alligators!

emily

good for you EM, and... as far as personal info, I wouldn't get too speicific. I only have my first name on my blog...and the general area I live in (Philly suburb). Any more than that isn't too safe.

Nina

Nice Emily!

Nina... I have a thank you too! I placed my first order with Fire Mountain Beads this week and have alreaedy made 4 bracelets that go on my medic alert tag! And one necklace that matches one of the bracelets. I am also doing my first selling on ebay and my auctions are going great. I'm hoping to do a little financing for more beads!! I have lots of ideas. And you're right, looking through the cataloge is fun too!

Thank you for the great idea.

~Roselover

wow!, i am overwhelmed by all of your generous, kind, heartfelt suggestions, i know that whenever i have any concern, i can ask all of you, and you are there for me, thanks so so much for all your replies, well, i would love to crochet, or knit, but no one around to teach me! and i do like to color, but not childish coloring books, so any of you know where i could get more adult coloring books or those color by numbers kits sound good, at least i will have something pretty that i could maybe hang up in my room, do any of you know of any good websites i could find these kits or coloring books? sorry but i dont really wear any beaded jewelry and no one i know likes that stuff, so that would be a waste of time for me, thanks so much for all your help, and if any of you any further ideas please let me know, i want to pass the time but have something to show for it after putting alot of effort into it too, want to feel useful, thanks again for all your ideas,

radha

Well, I'm kinda sick rigth now so i can't read all of these replies, So, forgive me if my suggestions have already been mentioned.

First you mentioned you weren't an artist. Well, I am,:) and I am telling you, you don't have to be "good"compared to other artists to do artwork. It is just a way of expressing your creativity, and it's personal. It's like music. Everyone enjoys singing even if they are not great. What is fun about art is the doing. It's fun if you're good, but there are some very primitive artists out there that are very well respected. Also the impressionist artist Cyzanne, as he got older, had crippleing arthritis, and couldn't paint anymore. Instead he would make art by cutting out colored pieces of paper and forming designs to create his art. He needed to create. Even if he couldn't be the same artist he once was.

Anyway after that speach. I was going to mention, If you want to color but not kids stuff, they have all kinds of art coloring books in the book stores. Like Da Vinci, Michelangelo etc. They also have all kinds of coloring books that have grown up images. You can try these sites:

http://store.yahoo.com/doverpublications/048643334x.html

They have loads of other interesting colring books at that same place at:

http://store.yahoo.com/doverpublications/b...ring-books.html

http://www.fontcraft.com/dcb/

http://www.hearthsong.com/hearthsong/product.do?

section_id=0&bc=1005&pgc=373&country=0&occ=1005

the thought of coloring these pictures in makes me sick, but I can't take patterns.;)

http://www.awhitehorse.com/coloringbook/

This site has images you can print from the web.

If you use colored pencils they will come out better. If you do buy colored pencils, be cure to get them at a art/craft store. There you can get a brand like Prismacolor, Faber Castell, Rembrandt Lyra. the reasons I'm suggesting more expensive pencils is because the cheaper ones like kids use won't be as easy to draw with. These are softer, not waxy and blend easier, and produce much better results. Or you can try most brands in the store by buying them singely,or two or three at a time. They also have pastel pencils which produce a pastel like drawing.

If you have a photo program on your computer you might even have a filter that can turn a normal photo into a coloring page. (You might need help with this if you have trouble operating photo programs) Like mine has an outline setting. ( another program called it, a photocopy filter..same thing) It just traces the photos major lines in black ink. This way you could use your own photos. Do a picture of someone you love or, even take your own photographs put them into the computer, (again you might need help with that, but it's realitively easy once you've got it down) you could even cut out the bad parts by cropping them, and make your own coloring pages. You can even use actual drawing paper, or pastel paper, cut to fit your printer, and use colored pencils, or thin pastel sticks, called "NU pastel". It would be your own then. You could create great works of art.;)Can you tell I'm getting excited by this idea?LOL

It always helps me , if I'm stuck home to create things for gifts for other people. Or decorations for the house. That way it gives me the incentive to get it done.

If you can work a computer from bed, there are all kinds of software that you can use to create things. To me crocheting is easier than knitting. A simple granny square is pretty easy once you learn the lingo. There are some places online that have free chrochet lessons for beginners. If you want to learn anything for that matter. There are always free lessons on the internet.;) I have some free drawing lessons for beginners on my own site. If you would like to look at them email me. I don't want to put the address of my site up because I don't want to seem like I'm advertising.

Oh, There's something I started recently called Incredimail. (Incredimail.com ) It's free, and it's pretty trustworthy..doesn't screw up your computer with a bunch of junk. Anyway, It's stationary for email. You'd have to see it. But I recently got the letter maker.Which was resonably priced, and you can create you're own stationary with your own designs, for use in email. There are plently of sites that have this now, and clubs online, that make and share stationary through emails. So you'll get a bunch of pen pals through that.;)It's kind of fun to do if you have the energy to learn the program and all that.

Hopefully some of this may have been useful. If not I'm sure I could come up with more.LOL

Sue

Sue,

Yes! Your suggestions were super-helpful...sometimes the sicker I am or the more I feel overwhelmed by my 'to do list', the more I forget to take time to be creative. I used to be creative through dance and music...so finding new activities is a must for me.

I like to color a lot...and I like your suggestion of using 'better' colored pencils...insetead of crayons or kids pencils...to color. I think that I might enjoy that.

I just started a blog yesterday, and I was just so tickled with it! It gave me a chance to create (not a lot, but a little) and write. And also put info. out there about Dysautonomia for my friends and family.

I would like to see your website! Could you PM it to me???

I also like the idea of e-stationary. I love to do snail mail but haven't been up to it, and have been doing email instead. I may fiddle with stationary a bit. But, I'm not much into learning software and stuff!

I like knitting a lot, and hope to learn to crochet too.

Mostly, thank you for reminding me how important it is to create, simply for the purpose of creating. I do like to create things for other people too, like you...it motivates me more and gives me more satisfaction...esp. b/c I don't feel like I contribute much in other ways.

Thanks!

Emily

Emily,

Thanks for posting about that blogging site! I tried this years ago at another site that had horrid graphics and articles by major depressed, dysfunctional people! The one you put a link to is nice.

Though I am clueless how to redo my name and insert a photo. When I put in a photo, it went in the article! LOL so I removed it.

I write letters to the editors and rant and rave (ok mostly rant) about many things close to my heart from the major to the minutia.

So I have my own blogger spot. Feel free to read and if you can give me a clue as to how to post my photo NEXT to my name, I would gladly take tips.

I spent an hour earlier and could not figure it out and started last evening. Oh, well.

Thanks again for sharing this as an idea.

http://rantsandravesami.blogspot.com/

sophia,

i will check out your site soon...but now i've got to go to bed! sorry! i am sure i will love your ranting, as i think we may be on the same political wavelength! :) anyway, as for photos...i have NO idea...i don't even have a digital camera or anything...so, i want to do the photo thing too. all i know is you are more computer savvy than i am, so if you couldn't do it, i'm going to be out of luck! oh poop! nina recommended the site...so she gets the thanks. she's the computer whiz. it was easy to do, but it did take me more than ten minutes to make all of my decisions! ;)

emily

Emily,

I think I would love to meet you! It sounds like we have some things in common. I too need ways to express myself. It's been a long road to find new and creative ways to enjoy life. I used to dance too - in fact I was teaching creative dance classes to 3-5 year olds and pre-ballet to 6-7 year olds when I got sick. I was also taking my own ballet classes and I danced in the Nutcracker Ballet for about 8 years. I also love music but I don't sing or play many instruments. I do enjoy playing the recorder with old medieval type music.

With the help of everyone here, I've found new expressions. Maybe I can email you some pictures of my watercolor painting sometime. I am still learning. I paint on my best days, knit on other days and now I make bracelets etc on the inbetween days.

You are such an encouragement to me - thanks for being a part of this forum. Please don't ever leave. Ok... now I'm getting mushy so I'd better sign off :)

After 'while crocodile,

~Roselover

sophia & em -

congrats on your blogspots. i just read & enjoyed them both & may join the trend myself one of these days. sophia if you do find a PU blocker let me know...i'd love to have one! and em i'm sure your new haircut is beautiful:-)

roselover -

congrats on the new beading. i'm moving soon so decided to wait to order my catalog but am now jealous:-) that is such a good idea in terms of making bracelets for your med ID tag. i know it's been mentioned before but i don't think it really stuck in my head for whatever reason...

and ebay too. i'm impressed! i have sold old books from school on half.com but have been a bit intimidated by the whole auction part of ebay; or else turned off by having to pay for a listing...what kind of things have you been selling?

my new apartment has a big pantry where i can already envision being able to keep lots of fun arts & craftsy & creative stuff...yippee

How about card making using stamps? My friend got me into this when I first got sick. I was never a crafty person and I thought the stamping thing was so dumb. Guess what...I really got into it. I think because when I do it all I think about is what I'm making. If you want to find out more you can go to www.stampinup.com. I know that you can buy stamps locally, too.

Bren

Melissa,

I am starting with selling books on ebay. They are books I've used for homeschooling and highly desired by others so they are selling well so far. I just hope I did OK on estimating shipping cost! :P If it goes well, I might try to do some other things from around the house that I've been intending to get rid of. I just don't have the energy for a garage sale! Maybe I'll start to sell my jewlery on ebay!!! Hey... how about medic alert bracelets - hee hee.

~Roselover

Roselover,

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere...I LOVE this site and DINET and our community. I'm very committed to it...just wish I had more energy to give here.

Your post made my heart sing. Yes, I do think we have a lot in common. We are all so much more than just our illness...and I love that. I LOVE the creative dance...that is what I grew up doing. I'm not good, but I have passion for it. I love Martha Graham. And, recorder was the very first instrument I ever played! :)

I finally decided after years of it sitting in the closet, to sell my saxophone. It breaks my heart. But, I don't think I will ever play it again. I know that it is a waste to have a beautiful instrument that a young child could use sitting an collecting dust. You know? I will sell it and part of the profits will go to the Music Boosters charity.

I, too, was always a 'doer' and that is the hardest part of POTS for me. Learning new ways to express myself and also learning to just 'be'...sometimes I am good at the 'being' part and sometimes I am terrible!

Could you remind me what sort of things you like to knit? I am on a scarf kick, but may start a baby afghan soon. I alos like to just make dishrags or cotton chenille washrags. I just make up patterns. I am homebound...do you have any favorite yarns to recommend or any websites to look for yarns? I thought about that after you all were talking about the bead catalogs.

Anyway, I'm rambling as always, and it is getting late and I must get ready for a bath, snack and bed.

Yes, I would love to see your watercolors! Definitely email me! :lol: I love seeing others creative stuff.

Oh, I just did a bit of coloring tonight after reading this thread and being reminded to create.

One thing is so hard for me is to just 'appreciate' art, music, books, dance. I was always the one DOING--dancing, acting, playing saxophone, piano, writing, etc...now I am learning to LISTEN to books on tape, LISTEN to music, etc...maybe for the first time in my life. And that is a gift. But it is hard sometimes! My body is crying to be able to create in the form of dance.

I like this site, b/c i feel like I get to write and help people and express myself, and that is also why I started a blog.

Okay, rambling. You're probably asleep now!

Later Alligator! What was that thing you said about Baboons???

Emily

roselover-

it sounds like your ebay plan is working well for you. and since things are selling i'm guessing you did just fine with your shipping cost estimates. on half.com i don't have to think so much which is why i've gone that route thus far:-) let us know if you venture out in any other way, i.e. med alert bracelets!

em-

your comments re: doing versus being really hit home for me. i don't think i knew it was possible to "be" for most of my life. i was a "doer" to the max (borderline obcessive at times?!) and while i'd evened out a bit in college i've had to reach a whole new level of "being" in the midst of health craziness. it is still SO hard for me. i've gotten to a point where i really can enjoy being, listening, etc....but am not quite there yet in regard to not being able to do lots of the things that made me tick...