arts and crafts suggestions?

Radha

i am kinda of stumped for ideas and was hoping one of you would give me some ideas, i want to do some kind of craft, but what i can do is limited, i like to scrapbook but it takes forever to find and collect the pictures and words i want from magazines, and i cant sew, or do needlepoint, or clay pottery, i am in bed so it has to be something that isnt messy and i am not particularly good at drawing or painting and never have any idea what to draw anyway! i know it will be hard to give any suggestions after all the ideas i have eliminated, but any ideas would be appreciated, thanks for taking the time to think about it, i want to do something that will be distracting , but not require lot of mental concentration, and that is fun, something to look forward to doing, i'm expecting alot from a hobby or craft right??

radha

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi radha,

I know you said you can't do needlepoint but have you tried the plastic canvas type needlepoint? It's larger holes in the plastic canvas make it easier on the eyes to do and it is basic stitches and you can get basic designs that look very nice.

there is also rug hooking that is fun and also has larger type holes for the fabric that is easy on the eyes to do and easy to manipulate incase you have trouble with your fingers or hands. Plus it's really fast so you can see fast results to avoid getting board with it.

good luck

What about making jewelry?

I don't know what it's called...maybe glass beading?? but when I was young my Mom had these pieces of "fruit" (probably made of styrofoam or something similar to that) and you used straight pins to put a colored bead on the straight pin and then put the pin in the fruit. It was really very pretty.

what about a making a mosaic picture or picture frame. You could probably do a small project that wouldn't be too messy to do in bed.

I'll keep thinking but this is what popped into my head for now

I too thought of beads/jewelry right away. You can get all different sizes which would make it easier & if you use a tray with ridges it's pretty neat in bed...the worse case scenario would be a bead here or there. It's also a quick-result type thing...a bracelet is pretty quick from start to finish. And the end result can be very nice.

Also - don't laugh - what about coloring? I have actually done this myself & find it to be very therapeutic at times. And all it takes is a coloring book and crayons. I even did it at Vanderbilt...wasn't planned but they had pictures to color for the taking outside the chapel at the children's hospital & my mom bought me crayons for a dollar at the gift shop & it was great as I couldn't really read or write much being off my meds. I even used the pics to brighten up my hospital room a bit!

If I think of anything else I'll let you know...

:-)melissa

I just thought I'd second the affirmation for crochet...particularly if you can have someone teach you hands-on & just do your own thing. Scarves & potholders & blankets & whatnot are easy & you don't have to be concerned with patterns or counting or whatnot...

I make jewelry--mostly bracelets, but I also make necklaces and earings. I buy almost all of my supplies from a place called fire mountain beads. http://firemountain.com/ you can go to their website and request a free catalog, which is about the size of a telephone book! I spend hours and hours looking through it...that keeps me busy until I finally order something. Most of the time, I make myself bracelets to wear with my medical tag.

My only warning with beading is that it can get quite expensive. Start simple. You'll need a few supplies other than the beads: crimping pliers, special wire (I use accuflex), crimp beads (used to close the end of the wire) and some kind of closure--if you look through the catolog, usually in the back 1/4 of the book, you'll see many choices. I also find it helpful to have a small pair of needle nose pliers--and I have a big, plastic container with many little sections so that I can store all my stuff and see it too. Some people like to use a a fishing tackle box or a tool box.

If you do decide to bead, feel free to drop me an email if you need help.

Nina

Radha,

I've asked my husband to copy a map with the American States (and enlarge it) so that I can fill in the states names (and learn) and write where everybody lives (from Persephone's topic). I want to color it. You can do it in pieces (whenever you feel up to it) and I like to do it and learn at the same time.

I also like to color (thank you Sunfish, for mentioning :) ) because you can easily color and think (in a therapeutic way). I used to do water painiting but it's too much right now to get all my stuff and put it away when it's time to eat. I sometimes draw from pictures or other examples.

Good luck,

Corina

Guest tearose

I also like to make bracelets. I haven't gotten too deep into it. I found a pre packaged kit and started with this. It felt good to do something with my hands that did not need too much concentration or fine motor skills. Since I started with a kit and knew it was something I enjoyed, it didn't overwhelm me.

I also enjoy sewing. Sometimes I will just repair things but it is also fun to make something. You can use a machine and do anything or sew by hand and make a simple skirt!

I also enjoy making bread! Bread is fun to rise, knead, punch and shape! It is also very rewarding for me AND others!

This thread has motivated me to pick up a hobby again! I miss coloring! (can't wait to finish cleaning out my basement)

take care, tearose

I think in your post you said you like to scrapbook, if that is true you should consider making collage art. That is using magazine , newspaper photos, any paper element ie; wraping paper, fancy papers etc,

You arrange the papers on a backing board such as foam core, cardboard and glue them one on top of the other.

Lots of crafts stores have books and supplies for these crafts. some are called decoulage i thnk. let lme know if i can help in any way, i am a textile artist and do drawings for books.

Hi Radha, I like doing jewellery as well! I was thinking, perhaps you could try paint by numbers? They have some really nice kits out these days and you don't have to know how to paint, just follow the numbers! A kit comes with everything you need and you could easily do it while in bed. You can find them at Walmart and they aren't very expensive. It's enjoyable because it isn't very difficult and you see accomplishments quickly! Laura

I LOVE COLORING TOO! i gotta do that again...i have done that many time since i have been sick!

and...knitting, knitting, knitting...but i think crocheting might be a little easier to handle b/c of only one needle...but hey, i need someone to teach me...so sunfish, next time you are up at 4 am? he-he.. i just knit those trendy scarves (great gifts) and do it sometimes while listening to a book on tape. or dishrags or face cloths or that kind of thing right now.

i too, don't feel up to any of my hobbies and just said to my mom...i have no hobbies! he's like, no emily, you do you just don't feel welL! aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh....

i may try some of the other suggestions here too...

but, i have ONE BIG QUESTION...

when you feel like crappola and you want to color...HOW DO YOU POSITION YOURSELF IN THE BED SO THAT YOU CAN SEE/COLOR WITHOUT STRAINING YOUR NECK? HOW DO YOU GET IT SET UP RIGHT? I HAVE SO MUCH NECK PAIN...

thanks...if someone solves this for me...i will have to bow down and kiss your feet for a long time to come!

emily

Emily,

I too have a lot of neck problems and I either have to sit up and bend my whole head down (which doesn't strain my neck as bad) or I have to prop myself up with pillows and then I use a "U" shaped pillow that is filled with buckwheat hullls so it supports my head and neck and takes the weight off.

I guess part of it depends on what part of your neck gives you the most trouble. For some people, bending the neck down may hurt worse.

I bought a cheap version of a hospital table that slides over my bed and can be adjusted (even tilted) for the specific task of doing crosswords in bed. Bed trays (the kind that just fit over your body and have short legs)- I call it my "breakfast in bed tray" work well, too. These can help you do just about any hobby in bed. Good question!

Carmen

Have someone teach you how to knit(if you don't already know how). you can make the fun fur scarfs in an evening or two. They are fun and everyone loves them. I learned how to knit last winter and between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I made 54 scarfs. You can use your imagination and mix colors. I found it very theraputic. When I got tired of scarfs, I started making afghans with just plain knitting. It is an inexpensive hobby. Linda

holy cow! 54 scarves????!!!! that is amazing!

the one thing that i like a lot about the knitting...the scarves...is the finished product and also the joy of knowing that i can give one to someone i care about. i like feeling like i am doing something for someone else...

i like to do things that are just fun...like coloring...it is so simple and so therapeutic. another thing that is similar to this...you can buy soooo many kits now and maybe your mom could pick one up for you. for example, i have a klutz book to make bracelets and they are easy and don't take much energy or concentration and you can do them lying down.

also, you can buy these kits for making cards for people...my best friend got me one by crayola. sure, they are meant for kids, but man are they fun to do. i have such an inner child in me, i know. but, they are so healing. and my friends (and yes, i am nearing 30) LOVE to get cards with stickers and coloring on them. it's a nice break from the bills. i saw someone else post about making cards too...

now that i say all of this, i have really not done much of these things lately, but may get inspired after all of these great posts...

i mostly stick to LOTS of books on tape, checking in here as much as i can, and knitting...the scarves and baby afghans use big needles, so you don't have to focus hard...my concentration is for the birds these days...

emily

I'm also available for ideas on how to keep beading cheap if needed via email.

Nina, the website you listed was new to me & is looks like something that could easily eat up LOTS of my time. Thanks!

Emily, I'll gladly teach you to crochet if you give me knitting lessons:-)

Regarding the neck-positioning comfort issue, I had to experiment A LOT with it both before & after my neck surgery. I too have used a bed tray (short legs...got one cheap at IKEA) but also tend to contort myself in goofy laying-on-my-side positions; I find them comfy for short periods of time but they weren't an option right before/after my surgery and technically probably aren't "good for" the neck. Same goes for my liking to lay on my belly propped up on my elbows...

Whenever possible though - not always - I try to at least be sitting up in order to keep myself as non-unconditioned as possible. Even if it's just half sitting up with lots of pillow behind me.

If I'm in a recliner laying mostly back, I do well by putting a pillow (or two) on my lap/legs and then having whatever I'm doing on top of that....

Many times I also add a roll pillow (or self-made roll) under the base of my neck for more comfort...

Lots of rambling thoughts later,

:-)melissa

wow!, i am overwhelmed by all of your generous, kind, heartfelt suggestions, i know that whenever i have any concern, i can ask all of you, and you are there for me, thanks so so much for all your replies, well, i would love to crochet, or knit, but no one around to teach me! and i do like to color, but not childish coloring books, so any of you know where i could get more adult coloring books or those color by numbers kits sound good, at least i will have something pretty that i could maybe hang up in my room, do any of you know of any good websites i could find these kits or coloring books? sorry but i dont really wear any beaded jewelry and no one i know likes that stuff, so that would be a waste of time for me, thanks so much for all your help, and if any of you any further ideas please let me know, i want to pass the time but have something to show for it after putting alot of effort into it too, want to feel useful, thanks again for all your ideas,

radha

Yeah, that store sends me quarterly updates -- I got one today and I spent at least an hour or two dreaming of earrings, necklaces and bracelets that I could make. :)

I agree, Ikea has some inexpensive, neat ideas for use while seated or while in bed. I'm fortunate to have an Ikea store only 20 minutes away from me. Most of our house is furnished with their stuff. I love simple, Scandanavian design--I'm very contemporary in my decorating. Hey, that's another thing I do to keep my mind busy--I'll sit and pawn over the Ikea catalog for HOURS.

I used to make cards, which was suggested here already. I made mine using white card stock and watercolors. I also used to press and dry flowers from my gardens and put them on cards.

I haven't drawn in years, but I did use crayons and pastels ...and pencils. I always used to keep my drawing tablet near my bed, and I kept a notebook for writing poems, stories, thoughts, etc.

I know this isn't exactly arts and crafts, but when I was on medical leave, I taught myself how to design my own website. It's what I currently have at my personal website http://missmightymouse.com (just a note to folks, my site will be down for a week or so starting on July 1st--I'm changing servers and uploading a new, updated site). I also started my own blog, which is on a free blog hosting site. It ended up being basically my theraputic diary.

Coloring is fun!!! A few years ago, one of our neighbors told us she loved to color but her husband and kids made fun of her. Christmas was a few weeks later, so we bought her one of those GIANT crayola boxes and a whole bunch of coloring books. We put it on her porch, rang the bell, and ran :) She still figured out it was us and was SO happy. Maybe I should pick up some crayons for myself :)

Nina

I bought watercolor crayons some years ago (and still have them :) ). You can use them just for coloring but when you add water they are like water color paintings. They're fun to have.

Nina, I LOVE IKEA too! Since they have stores all over Europe I didn't think they would be in the States as well. Just didn't think of that! I LOVE to watch their catalog or go shopping there. We bought IKEA stuff for the children's rooms when they were younger.

I have a lot of stuff for making cards, wish you could come visit me so that we could make them together (I bet we would laugh more than making cards!!!)

Corina

(Radha, I love this topic!!!)

Nina: do you think it would be possible if we would make bracelets (i.e) for fundraising? It's just an idea, not sure if it works.

nina,

you have EVERYTHING right near you! i am so jealous! mr. ritts, ikea, blah de blah! that what i get for living in a PA town that has NOTHING nearby! we are four hours from anything i think! :) btw, i'm going to order some bread from mr. ritts to try!!!!!! i can't wait! they have some dairy-free breads--which is soooo hard to find!

anyway, i think i will check out IKEA after the suggestions...thanks! that sounds good for bad days. and catalog browsing is always fun!!!!!! i love to dream!

nina, as for the website...do you think a computer idiot could do it? i mean, me? i have always wanted one, but i am NOT into reading directions and especially not technical ones. are some of the sites for creating them easier to use? i.e. we do have adelphia and you get webspace through them. is that the way to go? can you work on it in little bits and pieces? just wonderin. i've always admired those like you with some computer savvy. remember, this is the girl who never even did an avatar b/c it looked like greek when i saw your description! i was scared! :)

anyway, i will try some more 'fiddling' around with positioning and trays. (nina, you probably have similar positional issues sometimes with the neck issues? using my arms is hard too...from the stenosis i think too.)

okay, gonna try sleep again now...

this thread was good as i have been needing to 'look outside the box' at some other activities to try...

em

Emily,

you might let yourself color without looking at what you are doing. Watercolour crayons are great idea as someone posted. You can work on them, come back later and wet them down with our fingers etc. The product is not always as important as the process when you start. the finished product ideas come later whether ist be as framed art or gluing images on wood to later varnish and give wooden trays as a gift.

joyce

Edited by MightyMouse