arts and crafts suggestions?

Radha

Oh Emily, you always make me smile! I love your "ramblings"!!! You should always write at night - (hee hee)

I think it was ariella who posted a topic a while ago about postiive things coming out of our illness. When she posted it I couldn't even bring myself to verbalize anything. Recently, thought I added something about the "being" concept. I didn't think I could ever change, which meant I could never enjoy a Potsy life. But I am finding that I am changing and I am learning to enjoy life in a different way. I am amazed that this is happening to me.

The only problem is that it has also made me more aware of people and increased my love for all the special people in my life and then I starte getting all emotional and mushy and people wonder why I keep telling them I love them so much. :)

I'm understand how hard it is to give up things that you love, like your sax. You have a great plan though and I bet you end up hearing that kid who gets your sax play someday.

I have a boy who is just heading into teen years and he has really begun to get good at guitar and drums. He really wanted an electric guitar. Of course, I wasn't so sure but we couldn't afford it anyway. Then, this young man my husband and I were counseling (we do premarital counseling for engaged couples) heard about my son wanting an electric guitar and he told him he would give him one.

It turns out he had an old one that came with one string attached... when my son was done with it, he had to pass it on to someone else who was just starting out on electric guitar! Isn't that cool? Maybe you could do the same with your sax??? What a way to pass on a love for music!

OK... I ramble in the morning when I've had my tea... so I'll stop now.

Don't know the baboons thing you'll have to explain... Corina????

TTFN.

Roselover

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, please, please, Em and Roselover, let me know what baboons are :unsure: . I've been trying to catch up with some posts tonight, and I want to know everything about the baboons!!! And Roselover, I did water color painting as well, I had lessons using a book at home and having to send my "masterpieces" to a teacher. I stopped when I couldn't make it anymore.

If you're sending emails of your masteroieces, would you be so kind to send me one? I love to see what you're making! When we visited the Dali museum in Spain last week, I met a female painter who did water color paintings and I bought one from her. We talked and it was soooo great to see her work and talk about it together! In the end, my oldest son took a photo of the painter and me. It's a very deer memory!

Soooo alligators, let me know how you are doing and please explain me the baboons!

Love,

Corina

okay girls,

here's the baboons thing...i thought it was roselover, but it was poohbear who said it...i had to do a search for this! isn't that a riot, that i am doing a search on dinet for baboons...this IS off-topic. sorry! i'm gonna blame it on my topamax/dopamax brain...

i had never heard the 'hope it's soon baboons part' of this...that poohbear added and I LOVE IT! so here it is...corina you had me laughing out loud!

Later Alligators

After While Crocidiles

Hope it's soon Baboons.....just had to say this for Emily!!!

i do hope it's soon baboons...there's soooo much more to explore on this topic! i love this topic! sooooo healing. and we need that! :unsure:

for now, i'm so exhausted...i didn't sleep at all last night...grrrrrr....

em

LOL - ROF (that's laughing out lout - rolling on floor). Emily - I REMEMBER THE BABOON THING! My uncle used to say it to me when I was a kid!!!!!! What great memories!!!

Corina, I will send you some pics as soon as I scan them OK? Thank you for asking!!!!

Gotta go - but will add more later.

Love Roselover

I like to buy the kits for children to learn how to do new hobbies and then books to learn more in depth after i decide if i like the hobby. then i buy the equipment and such and get to work. I do little projects because i have to take long breaks and have a few long term ones always going. i have done cross-stitch since i was really young and I like it a lot but it takes a lot of concentration for a big project. there are small ones that you can do though. Occassionally, there are ones with the pattern printed on the material. The stitch is super easy to learn (basically just an 'X'). I also knit (there are some fun kits at target and Michaels) and I just learned crochet and it is easy and exciting because it moves very quickly. You can see your project grow right before your eyes. Also, one needle and only a few possible stitches. You can make lots of things with no pattern. I have one project I make for people that I knit- it is a head kerchief thing that is trendy and cool and only a two day project- and i have arthritis and need to spend only short amounts of time on these things! I also like photography and have like 100 photos of my cat. :-) Good luck and enjoy.

Leah

Great question! I used to be an avid crafter - knitting, needling (of all sorts), etc. I find that most of it takes too much concentration OR makes my vision very blurry because of the eye strain in following the pattern details. Bummer.

The coloring idea is marvelous. I enhance it by adding texture. You might buy a book on pencil watercoloring or even colored pencils to get ideas on creative techniques like texturing, which is a ten-penny word for adding squiggles.

I love fuzzy coloring with markers - they are $4 sheets of cardstock with black fuzzy stuff. The designs can be geometric so you can randomly fill in the color to make a mock stained-glass window effect. You can buy these everywhere.

The pillow thing is a big issue. I use a big foam wedge (almost the width of a twin bed) that I set upright - making a two-foot tall triangle. Then pillows. Wonderful pillows. The wedges used to be sold in JoAnn Fabrics. Haven't been shopping there in a long time. Call first. And this may not solve a neck-pain problem. Also, my reclining loveseat in my bedroom is a life-saver. I sit here a lot and do lap work, like right now.

For those who want a foam wedge, but can't get out to the store, you can order one online--I did a "froogle" search (google's shopping search engine), and here's what you come up with for the key words firm + foam + wedge

http://www.google.com/froogle?q=firm+foam+...Froogle&tiled=1

you'll see a few irrelevant items, but most of the picks are within the search are on the mark...skim through as the prices vary tremendously.

BTW, I ordered beads a few weeks ago and have been going nutty (a happy nutty) making bracelets and necklaces. I made a beautiful braclet for my neighbor's daughter, who is a junior olympian swimmer. It has sterling silver block letter beads that spell "swim" in the center, and then all sorts of pretty crystal blue and green colors, with a little silver here and there (using the silver as accents keeps the cost low as opposed to doing all silver). I must say, I am pretty proud of how it came out. I showed it to her mother to see if it was the right size and also to see if she thought her daughter would like it. The mom almost cried! :D I guess I did a good job :rolleyes: I really love giving handmade gifts.

Nina

Nina, the bracelet you made sounds WONDERFUL! i am sure that she will like it!

Speaking of crafting, my mom went to Michael's for me tonight and bougth me TONS of great yarn! I am soooo excited! I, too, love making gifts for people.

Yesterday I got completely sucked in to searching the web for yarns and patterns and it was so much fun. This thread reminded me to nourish that aspect of myself...that urge to create. I hadn't had that excited feeling about starting a new project and trying new patterns for a long time...so, thanks everyone.

For the knitters out there...

Does anyone have an easy poncho pattern???

Also, two sites I like a lot:

www.lionbrand.com --they have a very easy to navigate site and lots of free patterns. PLUS free online help for any of their patterns! also, descriptions and pics of all of their yarns.

www.bernat.com --also free patterns and descrptions of all of their yarns

friday...i had my mom buy me some professional colored pencils also...

i am now broke, but hey, it was worth it! :) aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, retail therapy...

later alligators!

emily