Autonomic storms

dianaD

Hi everyone,

I've started seeing a councelor to help me cope with all of these changes in my life and I've tried to describe what it is like to have one of these autonomic storms. Not just the physical (tachycardia, blood pressure goes crazy, difficulty breathing, chills, you know), but also the way they FEEL (like I've been poisoned) and how they affect me emotionally.

Can you help me describe what you go thru during and after these horrible episodes so that she knows it isn't just me? Thanks for your help!

Its a hard thig to describe :

For me They come on slowly over a period...I feel weaker, I get waves of lightheadedness and dizzyness and feeling like I will pass out, ringing in my ears, heart races, shortness of breath, chills, feverish feeling ( my skin will be REALLY hot), head aches especially in my eyes and upper front of my head, I get pale, nausea, constipation,sweats, feel shaky

I describe it to people that it is similar to going into a "shock" like state where your body is depleted of proper blood flow.

Its not fun to say the least.

I hope this helps!

I forgot to add that when I am in these episodes I do not think clearly... I get very irritated and agravated with people and situations..like my brain has shut off.

and your description of being poisioned is right on! It slike something else takes over your body for a while, then it goes away and you are your old self again.

For it is usually the sense that something is not right. I'll notice that my heart rate gradually increases until it stays at a rate anywhere from 104-150, I start to get the chills, my teeth will chatter, hands shake and legs are shaky, sometimes it feels like my stomach drops,like on a roller coaster ride, the brain fog sets in, feel fuzzy in the head, sweats, my face and head feel like it will burst, I can't even move my eyes side to side w/out it feeling like my head will explode, I even have the anxious knot in my stomach. This will last from 20 minutes to a few hours with me and it only gradually settles down and for the rest of the day and sometimes the next my heart rate will be up and I'll feel horrible.

There are times when I feel like it is coming on and I try to stop it or prevent myself from freaking out about it but usually I get just as scared as the first time it happened.

Not fun for any of us :)

There was an article in the December 2002 Guideposts about a girl who was having autonomic storms. She had a lot of other problems too...leukemia and meningitis. Sometimes having information in print helps others understand.

Michelle

I get flushed (very hot especially in my face and head), start to choke/like my throat is closing, my heart gradually starts pounding and speeding up from normal range to 150, dizziness/faintness, a sense of doom, etc.

They last anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes. And then I feel absolutely exhausted. I usually take a nap for at least an hour or two afterward. Thankfully, I haven't had one for 3 months after starting Effexor.

Amy

for me, all of the above as well as a sense of feeling VERY cold, pressure in my head that makes me feel out of it and very bad body tremors. Then feel unwell and mental fog for three days afterwards like after a migraine.

My doctor even thinks that POTS storms are a weird type of migraine activity, because there isnt always a huge variation in BP - although there can be as we all know