Alcohol Is My Medicine?!

Hey all,

I have tried Midodrine, florinef etc etc

Florinef helps a bit, but then daily im really light headed just sitting, even laying, I can get up go out normal heart rate and blood pressure only symptom the bad lightheadedness!

The florinef helps the HR.

But when I have 2 cans of budweiser 5%, I dont get drunk or imagine it...the lightheadedness GOES COMPLETELY? I dont feel tired anymore, I dont feel weak?

I really dont get it, I dont want to have to drink everyday, but it really takes makes me normal?!?!?!?!

IF I continue to drink and get tipsy, more drunk, my hr does goes fast, but I feel no symptoms?

It really baffles me...lol.....

My guess is that you're getting a buzz and forgetting about your symptoms. Alcohol generally lowers blood pressure, both by depressing the central nervous system and by causing water loss. Scientifically it doesn't seem it would be helpful to many people with dysautonomia -- unless you had high BP. If you take florinef I assume you don't have high BP.

Your doctor can advise best, but drinking every day to help with POTS symptoms is an unusual course of action! If you are drinking alcohol make sure you drink enough water so as not to get dehydrated.

Alcohol also raises your blood pressure, I at one point found if I drank very moderately at night I would make up feeling more refreshed from sleep than I typically do, but it didn't last for very long. I'm assuming it had something to do with increased bp, maybe also because it is a depressant, not sure though.

I've had a similar effect, and I really can't explain it. Just know that you're not alone!

I generally don't get hangovers, and a night drinking generally makes me feel a little better. Could very well be the increase in blood pressure and increase in blood volume from just drinking something liquid.

i actually would like to know if you have the 'hyper-adrenergic' form or not... i have experienced similar things with alcohol, or major sedatives... it has actually stunned people that my nervous system could take "that much sedative" and i could be just sitting there talking calmly, and thinking "so this is what normal feels like... i forgot". the 'hyper-adrenergic' is a different breed. just be careful, it could end you up an alcoholic or over sedating and you don't want that.

Hops affects the central nervous system.

Some other articles I read people think it may also affect GABA which is calming to the sympathetic system.

Maybe, Try the herb by itself and see if it does the same thing.

Some get benefit from valerian and Passion flower. My sis takes these two together and says it works great for her.

Issie

I have this same thing, I think it must stimulate the sympathetic nervous system. My mind and thinking is so much clear, I am really much happier and have tons of energy. However the hangover the next day or so isn't worth it. I think it also may deplete some nutrient I am lie on cause takes me a week to get back to feeling ok. Then I hunger for that evening of fun again. Vicious cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think its that easy to figure out. Because if it was GABA then xanax would do the same and it doesnt.

GABA may play a role but alcohol has numerous effects including changes in endothelial function, aldosterone activity, and there is a sustained increase in BP the next day after even acute rare use according to several papers that is not explained by increased adrenergic or angiotensin ii mediated vasoconstriction. My take is its an immunosuppressive as well as it also knocks my ank spond on the head occasionally. Volume loading with cold drinks is also helpful at the time.

But the danger of saying definitively why it helps is that an assumption can obscure an important clue. :)

I can drink a little (1/2 drink) if I am not having having POTS symptoms at the time. If I am symptomatic, it will make it much worse - palpitations in the night - worse the next day. If I am feeling well going into it I sleep better and thus feel better the next day. But I don't drink beer (gluten). I'm partial to a good single-malt, or an occasional glass of wine, although red wine can set off problems for me, and I don't like white as much.