Alcohol = Improved Symptoms?

andybonse

Hey,

So since I was feeling a lot better lately, compared to how I was, I started trying a few drinks again.

2 times I actually got drunk, didn't realize not drinking for 2 years means a few beers = drunk haha!

Weirdly, my symptoms vanished, I could breath, and walk stand up for ages etc even though I was tachycardia I walked home with my gf :/

• 2 weeks later...

Alcohol for me is the worst, but it's usually in the days after drinking (more than just a hangover). I wonder if you're drinking a lot, it's easier to ignore symptoms. And sometimes being drunk sort of mimics symptoms. I doubt alcohol actually helps physically, but maybe mentally?

Ugh....unfortunately i often feel worse. I have learned that i can usually tolerate 1, maybe 2 glasses of red wine but that is it. Anything more and i pay the price the next day by feeling like i had 10 drinks instead of 2.5!! I will also wake up in the middle of the night with a racing heart and nausea. . Hard alcohol makes me feel bad as does white wine. Not sure why, maybe the sugar content. In those is higher?

Some drinking helped me when I was more routinely symptomatic. It seemed to calm my ANS quite a bit. I realized that with dysaut symptoms I was drunk - quick. So pacing myself was/is key. Hydration too, I usually start with half a coconut water, drink 1:1 water to alcohol and finish the coconut water before bed. So if I want to include some drinking - this is how I do it. As with POTs there's always a management to it and sometimes a catch. Cheers!

I am 58 and I never could drink. It used to really annoy me that I would get the hangover before I could get drunk. After a maximum of two glasses Of wine would always be violently ill and look like I was very drunk. It didn't take me long to learn I could not drink alcohol successfully. Aargh!

To those who can have a drink without paying for it physically - happy to hear it.

Blue

Certain infecfions "block inhibitory impulses, by interfering with the release of neurotransmitters, including glycine and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Loss of inhibition also affects preganglionic sympathetic neurons in the lateral gray matter of the spinal cord and produces sympathetic hyperactivity and high circulating catecholamine levels. Hypertension and tachycardia alternating with hypotension and bradycardia may develop".

Alcohol increases Inhibitory action (GABA) and can explain the temporary relief in symptoms. Benzos can too but I do not recommend going this route. Way to dangerous

Ive always reported this although it doesnt always work - sometimes a beer can actually bring on POTS if it is already looking for an excuse to play up.

Ive had many theories over the years - just cold volume loading constricting stomach veins while mildly suppressing sympathetic symptoms?

immuno suppression? ( i met a lady with RA who sadly used alcohol to keep her pain under control )

The other interesting thing is that alcohol causes an excessive post alcohol sympathetic rebound response which means you may feel better the next day at well if your sympathetically mediated vasoconstriction is already messed up.

Also alcohol reduces clotting factors and there was a recent study that associated POTS with autoimmune clotting disorders like APS.

When they work out the cause(s) one day they may explain why this happens for some but not all.

Ive always reported this although it doesnt always work - sometimes a beer can actually bring on POTS if it is already looking for an excuse to play up.

Ive had many theories over the years - just cold volume loading constricting stomach veins while mildly suppressing sympathetic symptoms?

immuno suppression? ( i met a lady with RA who sadly used alcohol to keep her pain under control )

The other interesting thing is that alcohol causes an excessive post alcohol sympathetic rebound response which means you may feel better the next day at well if your sympathetically mediated vasoconstriction is already messed up.

Also alcohol reduces clotting factors and there was a recent study that associated POTS with autoimmune clotting disorders like APS.

When they work out the cause(s) one day they may explain why this happens for some but not all.

I do feel very much clearer and better the next day, thats interesting

http://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/mind-read/alcohol_sleep_and_why_you.

Google- Alcohol GABA rebound - and you'll find articles explaining how alcohol increases the effect of inhibitory GABA initially, with a rebound excitatory effect (via Glutamate) later in the night.

I learned that cheap beer causes an extreme rebound effect (as in literally running around the house because my head felt it was gonna explode) in the middle of the night. Awful! But IPAs and, for some strange reason, wine do not cause this problem. It doesn't make sense about the wine as I'm normally ver sensitive to sugar-otoh, sugar makes me crash/fall deeply asleep so maybe that's why it actually works for me, now that I think about it!

Hi fried brain,

loved the 'head going to explode' description - although I'm sure it feels terrible. I was sitting in a chair near the window with my head resting on my arms and arms resting on the sill to get some fresh air. Hubby arrived home from work and assumed I had a migraine. I told him no, not this time, that my head felt like it was full of wet cement. He's used to my weird sounding decriptions.

blue