Vibrating Pulsating Feeling In Random Parts Of Your Body

Darlene

Early on, I woke up several times "vibrating" all over. All I got was odd looks from the docs. At least they did not tell me my pants were too tight. They looked like they thought my head was not screwed on too tight.

More recently, I have only felt it in the mornings. Either before becoming fully awake, or soon after.

I have this on and off throughout the day. Mostly in my calves/feet and in my chest, sometimes also in my stomach. No doc ever could give me a good explanation for it. I personally guess it could have to do something with autonomic neuropathy, though I never got diagnosed with this.

Me too, it seems to come and go in different places. Had it for months on calf, felt like someone was holding a vibrating phone there, had it in big toe too. Most constant for me is a stinging type pain in thighs, knees, like lots of tiny biting insects.

Pants too tight, well!! ('Pants' for us in UK are the things under your trousers, I'm sure you didn't have those too tight either :))

Yes, I have this, and mentioned the most profound aspect of it to a very renowned autonomic researcher a few months ago. She shrugged it off. These incidents mean nothing to neurologists unless they have a distinct pattern that progress with a downward spiral.

So good luck with this. Actually, I'm less bothered by mine with her lack of concern.

K

I wake up often at night. My sleep is fractured. At some point I will wake up feeling that nearly my whole body (not my head) is sort of vibrating very slightly. Or maybe a better explanation is it feels like my body is pulsating -- very mildly but fast. When I take my pulse it's not abnormal. I can get tachycardia when laying down and resting, upon waking etc and it feels entirely different.

I've also reached into my hip pocket many times to get my 'vibrating phone' only to find it's all vibration, no phone. I figure it's just one of those weird things. And figure that no one has yet died of a vibration, have they?

Yes! Yes yes yes. It's in my feet and ankles, mostly, but sometimes my legs. It started shortly after I started a beta blocker and I figured it was a side effect. Then I noticed it's really bad during the follicular phase of my cycle and gets crazy right when I ovulate, then nothing for a few days, so I figured it had to do with hormones.

I have so many new symptoms I just don't really know how to present them to a doctor. "Hi, my feet buzz during certain times of my cycle, and it started right after I got POTS." I mean, really!

Mine is worse when I am not relaxed. Sort of underlying buzzing all over.

One of the weirdest sensations I get is the feeling that someone has sat down on my bed as I am lying there. I also found this happening when I was in hospital and mentioned it to the doctors. The nerves send out weird feelings. I often get the sense that cold water is trickling down my back and butt! I also feel like I have still got my glasses on an hour or so after removing them. The most unpleasant sensations, apart from whole body prickling, freezing and burning, is the feeling that I am wearing a very tight corset. I don't get it so much now as again it was linked to my large bowel filling up.

• 8 years later...
On 4/26/2014 at 7:26 PM, blueskies said:

I wake up often at night. My sleep is fractured. At some point I will wake up feeling that nearly my whole body (not my head) is sort of vibrating very slightly. Or maybe a better explanation is it feels like my body is pulsating -- very mildly but fast. When I take my pulse it's not abnormal. I can get tachycardia when laying down and resting, upon waking etc and it feels entirely different.

I've also reached into my hip pocket many times to get my 'vibrating phone' only to find it's all vibration, no phone. I figure it's just one of those weird things. And figure that no one has yet died of a vibration, have they?

I just started getting these. Does this vibration eventually go away?

On 4/27/2014 at 6:47 AM, TCP said:

Mine is worse when I am not relaxed. Sort of underlying buzzing all over.

One of the weirdest sensations I get is the feeling that someone has sat down on my bed as I am lying there. I also found this happening when I was in hospital and mentioned it to the doctors. The nerves send out weird feelings. I often get the sense that cold water is trickling down my back and butt! I also feel like I have still got my glasses on an hour or so after removing them. The most unpleasant sensations, apart from whole body prickling, freezing and burning, is the feeling that I am wearing a very tight corset. I don't get it so much now as again it was linked to my large bowel filling up.

I just started getting these as well, do they eventually go away?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, for sure! It feels exactly like when my mobile phone is in my pocket and buzzing. Except...my phone is not in my pocket. I have hyperadrenergic POTS and I attribute this buzzing to the excess catecholamines overstimulating nerves/muscles. I feel the buzzing only occasionally; sometimes it persists on/off for days and then goes away. It seems to coincide with twitches, muscle spasms and muscle cramps, but not always. It is really annoying but you can find a way to ignore it. Good luck trying to explain this to your doctor! But, I believe it is part of the picture...it is not a main feature of the story but it is part of it.

On 12/30/2022 at 3:58 PM, minniti17 said:

I just started getting these as well, do they eventually go away?

I've been getting these feelings in my chest on and off at different severities for over a decade. Was actually one of my first symptoms. At their worst when resting or waking. Never could find something that dealt with it completely.