Are You All Getting Flu Shots?

Hi Jennifer,

I have gotten the flu shot every year, including this year, and have never had problem with it. I also have POTS and arrhythmias and the shot never makes my symptoms worse. I am required to get it to work in the hospital but my doctors also encourage me to get it. I've never had the flu but I can imagine it would make dysautonomia symptoms much worse. Hope this helps.

Krissy

Tyler had his flu shot 2 months ago. Since his POTS is immune related, our cardiologist wanted it given as soon as possible. His POTS symptoms were not any worse after the shot. We do not want to go through a double round of flu this year.

Rachel

Its been years since I've gotten a flu shot, mainly because every time I've ended up not with the flu, but with something similar. it just doesn't agree with my body, so I usually decline it. I'm still on the fence about getting it this year, because I'm afraid of how I will feel on top of being so super potsy as of late.

I get the shot every year, and every few years, I update my pneumonia vaccination too. As someone who has been hospitalized with complications from asthma and pneumonia, my insurer waives my copay for shots every year because that costs them WAY less than an ER visit. I have gotten a mild, cold-like reaction but that's still nothing as bad as a full on flu, which can and does kill people every year.

I do not get the flu shot for many reasons. I haven't actually had a "flu" in many years that is covered in the shot. Last year I ended up in the ER for fluids do to a nasty bout of gastroenteritis. I'm sure an actual influenza would be a great set back for me, but I can't justify taking the shot.

Nope, no flu shots for me. If you pull the actual study data, they're barely better than 50/50. There's been a few years where flu shots (statistically) put you at a higher risk of getting the flu, although no one has studied what the actual mechanism was that year which caused those who got flu shots to be at a higher risk of flu.

There's been a few times over the years where I did get them but it was more to give my body's immune system something else to beat up rather than beating up me. Been a good 6+ years since I've had one and given the data and the new adjuvants used in them, I don't see myself taking a vaccine for anything any time soon.

I do get the vaccine. I've never had a problem with it. I started getting it on my doctor's recommendation. I haven't had flu the since I've gotten the vaccine.

Before I was diagnosed I had the flu 3 times and "walking" pneumonia twice. I've always had jobs where I worked with groups of people and I have children.

IMO nothing is worse than pots + a fever.