Surgery Affect On Dysautonomia

KareBear

I had a major surgery about 2 weeks ago and though I was more tired and weak than usual, I didn't feel like it significantly affected my ANS issues. But, the last few days things have been worse than they have in a really long time.

My question is can surgery still possibly be the cause? Could the reaction be delayed since it just started this week? I was hopeful that I would recover without a huge set back but it hit hard this week and seems to be getting worse. I am calling my doctor tomorrow about it but was curious if this has happened to anyone else. If anyone had a delay in worsening of symptoms after a surgery or illness.

It could be a delayed reaction. You may be trying to get up and go more and it's catching up with your body. Remember your body is trying to heal from surgery and then returning to your daily routine may be stressing your system out. Hang in there and try to back off some if you can.

Tyler just got off his antibiotics and ear drops on Monday. On Wednesday, we started dealing with unusual sensitivity issues. His body is trying to adjust from coming off the medications.

Rachel

My response to surgery is immediate. I had surgery in July and got 3 epi injections during to try keep my bp up. Since then I'm struggling with low bp's again (and other dysautonomia stuff) and slowly get worse. In the recent weeks I've been back in my wheelchair again after about 3 years where I was on my feet. I knew surgery would be a trigger (as it always has been for me) but couldn't go without.

I would say give yourself time. I was so up and down after my neck fusion. My nerves were a mess and my ANS was a mess too. I hope your recovery goes smooth and just take care of yourself. It is hard to deal with the healing part especially when your body is in chaos too.

Cyber hugs

I was initially pretty good immediately after my surgeries. Had some minor symptoms, but the real problems hit 1-2 weeks afterwards.

Are you going to have to do further treatment for your ovarian cancer now that surgery is completed?

Thank you so much Chaos, it helps knowing I am not the only one with this delayed reaction from surgery, mine happened just like you described yours. I was feeling confident that I had avoided a set back from surgery until this week suddenly things got worse. I am going to have IV chemotherapy. That should be interesting. I imagine it will affect me quite a bit.

My first surgery where this happened was after a hysterectomy for an ovarian mass. Luckily it was benign but that was the trigger for my POTS and the symptoms definitely started a week after surgery. They thought it was hormonal and started replacement patches and while it helped some symptoms, it didn't change the POTS.

I can't imagine how miserable you must be if you can't do hormones and now you have the anxiety of cancer and facing chemo on top of it.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Major hugs!!!!

Thank you Chaos, you brightened my day! ☀ I'm so happy to hear yours was benign, it must have been scary waiting to find out. I can see how this could trigger POTS, it's a shock to the body, it's just crazy that there is nothing they can find to help you improve. Very frustrating. I'm certainly battling mentally over how this will all turn out, my cancer cannot be cured (so they say) but hopefully managed, yet I'm not sure how long I will be able to tolerate treatments. Eight cycles of chemo will last about 8 months. It will be an experience :) but I'm up for the challenge ;)

What type of cancer is it? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to say. My daughter had a really rare type of ovarian tumor the year before mine. Her's wasn't benign. She's 7 years out though and doing well, except she has POTS now too.

Absolutely surgery can cause all sorts of dysautonomia problems - right afterwards and delayed. I had a robotic hysterectomy and was told I would recover quicker and able to go back to work in about 4 weeks....I had a horrible time after surgery and at 6 weeks when the MD would not allow me anymore time off, I had to go back extremely symptomatic. At 3 months, I was re-hospitalized due to dysautonomia complications and a paralytic ileus. It probably took me about 6 months or more to fully recover from the surgery. I just had surgery at the end of August again, this time for creating of a "necklace" graft (for plasma exchanges) and I am still trying to shake off the effects of the surgery - working but, it is very hard. MedicGirl, you must be a very strong person - I admire what you are able to do and am so sorry you have more to go through. I know it won't be easy but, you have lots of positive thoughts coming your way (and prayers).....

Chaos,

Mine is a grade 3, stage IV, epithelial ovarian cancer. In other words "I shoulda gone to the doctor sooner" cancer lol. I am sorry to hear about your daughter, that has got to be hard seeing her go thru this too. I have several family me,bers who also have POTS just not as debilitating as mine for some reason.

AllAboutPeace,

Thank you for the hugs! Dexter is doing MUCH better and is not so hyper. He likes to sleep a lot now and is more on my schedule, yay. I will keep you updated. Thanks again!

E. soskis,

It's sad that docs dont understand that some people cant just bounce back after surgery. Are the plasma exchanges helping you? Hopefully it was worth going thru the surgery in Aug. Thank you for your kind words, prayers and positive thoughts are always welcome. I am typically one of those annoyingly happy people so it takes a lot to break me down, this will be a huge test but I will get it a whirl.

So far, so good with plasma exchanges - as long as the necklace graft holds out, the surgery could be considered worth it but, wouldn't do it again (I say now) - I'm like you...annoyingly optimistic and I refuse to dwell on the future - what might be - what could be - what is to come - etc...it's the only way to keep going otherwise, we get mired in hopelessness and helplessness - and that is not a place anyone should get stuck or even visit......

Chaos,

Mine is a grade 3, stage IV, epithelial ovarian cancer. In other words "I shoulda gone to the doctor sooner" cancer lol. I am sorry to hear about your daughter, that has got to be hard seeing her go thru this too. I have several family me,bers who also have POTS just not as debilitating as mine for some reason.

I think that ovarian cancer in general is one of those where it's frequently not discovered until it's pretty far advanced.The symptoms are frequently rather benign and can be confused with so many other things that it's an easy one to miss.

Good luck with your chemo treatments. Keep us posted.

Sending good thoughts your way MedicGirl! Surgery is a huge disruption on the system in even healthy people without dysautonomia so give yourself a break! Your body needs to heal and sometimes it takes more energy to do so. After I had surgery in January I was completely wiped for weeks. Rest when you need to rest and do things when you feel like you can.

I am sorry to post this but any phys or emotional trauma hits hard after surgery. hard.surgery is gigantic phys. trauma.

even the anesthesia should be discussed.i have not recovered from worse sypts of POTS and over the top chronic fat. syndrome 3 1/2 yrs ago. 8 hr surgery.

emotional trauma..................i would blow up the site listing those.

how bout a POTS PEOPLE ONLY TOWN????

xooxoxoxoxox