Has anyone experienced this?

Hi Everyone;

Sorry I haven't been on for a while. I have been down for the count. The last topic I posted had to do with beta-blockers. Well, I haven't had the chance to really feel the benefits of them yet, but hope to soon.

The first 2 weeks on Toprol XL I felt like there was actually a light at the end of the tunnel. I was starting to feel better than I had in years. Then towards the end of the first 2 weeks I got very sick with a sinus infection, sore throat and hacking cough. With each day that passed I felt the virus settle into my chest. I became so weak, fatigued and short of breath that I did nothing but stay in bed.

A few days ago I went to my Doctor. He listened to my lungs and told me that I definately had an upper respiratory infection and was confident that the shortness of breath was not related to the Toprol.

He gave me a script for a Z-pack, or Zithromax. That day that I seen the doctor I actually was feeling better. I took the first 2 pills as directed on the first day. The next day I was completely drained and as weak as a kitten. I feel so fatigued and disconnected and it feels like someone punched me real hard in the stomach. But what scares me the most is the extreme fatigue and weakness. Needless to say I stopped the Zithromax and will call the doctor on Monday.

I am wondering if anyone out there has had this effect from antibiotics. I know that this is a very powerful one and may have completely knocked my nervous system way out of balance. I am so upset with myself for taking it in the first place because I was actually starting to feel great again for the first time in 6 months. I would hate to think that the way I feel has something to do with the Toprol. I have been on the Toprol for almost a month now and before I got the cold virus I was feeling great, for about 2 weeks.

I am stuck in a spot that I pray that I can get myself out of but don't know how to do that. I appreciate any input. With summer coming I am so worried about being a recluse.

I hope all is well with all of you. I know I haven't been here on a daily basis since somedays I don't get off the couch. There have been days that I stayed in the same pajamas. Thanks and Take care!!

KathyP :D

Hi Kathy - Having Lyme Disease and being on Long term antibiotics for it, I can attest to the fact that they can cause an increase of symptoms from it.

Unfortunately I think there are times when its nessesary to take abx...if you have a bacterial infection then you need abx to clear it up.

Also Zithro is pretty strong and can knock a healthy person for a loop. It also does a number on your stomache and acts long term in your system ( up to a month)

Are you taking acidophillus capsules to replenish the good bacteria in your gut? If not definetly get some.

I am sure if its the abx causing your symtoms then once you finish the prescription you will return to "normal" I hope you feel better :D

Hi Kathy,

Sorry you have that nast infection. Been there and done that. I can tell you I have taken the Z-pack several times, and depending on how sick I was to begin with, certain times it completely knocked me out, like I could sleep for days. I always took it that it meant it was doing its job.

Stopping the medication is not always the best to do without talking to your doc. Only for the reason that you need something to get rid of the infection and they can switch you to something else then before your next dose.

Hope you can get a switch in meds and get to feeling better soon.

Hi Kathy - I am sorry to hear about how bad you are feeling - I cannot take zithromax anymore - It kills my stomach, gives me diarrhea,makes me weak and gives me a massive headache - Instead of zithromax, they give me an antibiotic called clindamyacin hcl - I don't know if it is good for the type of infection you have, but maybe you can ask your doctor about it. I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa so that rules out lots of antibiotics, but the zithromax makes me fell crappy even though I am not allergic to it. I have only had this experience with zithromax since POTS. Before that, I used to be able to take the z pack without a problem. Hope you feel better soon. :D Beth

Thanks Jenn, Mom4cem and Beth. Your responses helped me feel better.

Beth, I plan to ask my doctor about clindamyacin on Monday. I don't remember if I ever had the Z-pack before this, but I do know that the "myacins" have always made my stomach upset before my dysautonomia got worse. I have never gotten whiped out like this before.

I really do want to continue on an antibiotic just to make sure that I don't have any infections. But I don't have any "greenage" anywhere, just conjestion right now. EEHHWWW, I know that just sounded gross.

My asthma has been very control for the past 2 years until this cold. My doctor truly believes that 25mg of Toprol XL won't effect my asthma at all. And just to be on the safe side he upped the dosage of my Advair from a very low dose to the next strength.

Mom4cem, I hate stopping any meds without talking to the doctor but I am having such strong effects from the Zith I really am scared to keep taking it and wait until Monday to talk to him. You are right I need to get something else to replace it. If I called the office now I would get one of the other doctors in the office that don't know anything about me. Last night I had to stay in a completely dark room because my headache was so bad that any light made it worse.

Jenn, I do take acidophillus after I take antibiotics. They do help my stomach tremendously. I usually have to take the penicillins for dental work and such and I do great on those. But I guess the myacins work on the mucus membranes more effectively. I have even tried Oil of Oregano before which works great on yeasts and bacterial infections. But I thought this time I need something stronger from the doc.

Again, thanks for the comforting words you guys. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the support here. My doctor as well as friends and family tell me to not worry and try to go out and enjoy life. It is very hard to do when you feel so horribly most of the time. I am sure we all, here, have heard this before.

Anyway, thanks again. Take care and know that my prayers are with all of you.

KathyP :D

Since Pots I cannot tolerate antibiotics without a significant increase in POTS symptoms. Like Funnyfrog, I am also allergic to penicillin and sulfa so the choices are limited. What i did find is that after stopping Florinef after 3 years, the anitbiotics have not caused such a severe reaction for me. I think there must be a connection.

good luck. I know how bad it is to try to take antibiotics you need when all they do is may you feel so much worse. Hope you feel better soon.

Hi, Kathy,

My POTS episode this time actually came on after a flu virus. I was put on an antibiotic for bronchitis (which I didn't have), and that med set me into an irregular heartbeat that led to tachycardia and hospitalization. I don't do well on antibiotics, either. Hope you get straightened out! Take care.

Linda

Hi Kathy - I just wanted to add that when you take acidophillus you need to take it at least 2 hours after you take the abx or else it is ineffective.. I usually take mine at night after I have taken all my abx for the day.

Also I am nto sure if you can take pennicillans but I know I have taken Augmentin for my respiratory infections and it has helped a lot and is very tolerable to me.

I hope you feel better soon, anjoy the weekend B)

I am ultra sensitive to meds but zithromax and amoxicillin are two of my favorites HOWEVER my Doctor knws I can only handle the dose for like a six year old child (e.g. 250 for amox.)

If I took a full dose of either I'd be down for the count.

It took some convincing at first and some trial and error ... but this tiny dose works well for me and my Doctor now notes this in my chart.

EM

Thanks Everyone;

You all have given me some great ideas. I am feeling much better now. I am still getting used to the beta-blocker side effects so I am sure that adding the antibiotics only added fuel to the fire of symptoms.

My system is so sensitive to everything. MotherEarth; that is a great idea to start out small. I was shocked when I realized that the first dose of the Zithromax was 500mg. WOW!!! I won't be doing that again.

But anyway, Thanks for all the wonderful support. Take care and God Bless You All!!!

KathyP :)

Hmmm...

I've been enduring an episode that's gone on for weeks now, and began right after I took my antibiotic for dental work.

Can amoxicillin (1 high dose) do this??????? :)

hi jlb!

do you take antibiotics before dental work because of the POTS? I wasn't instructed either way, and it's time to go for a cleaning...

ariella

Guest Julia59

I do terrible on antibiotics. I crashed with POTS in 2000 after having dental work. I don't know if the antibiotics played a role of the dental work. I took the antibiotics about 3 months before the dental work for bronchitis. And then more antibiotics when I had the dental work.

About 6 months ago I had another case of bronchitis and was prescribed ceftin. It made all my symptoms worse and I had to stop. The first round didn't take care fo the infection, and when the second round was started---that is when I had big time problems. I dread it any time I get sick with an infection.

I always wonder if POTs could be autoimmune for some of us, and that is why we don't tolerate antibiotics well.

Julie :0)

Are we all sure that it's the antibiotics causing the symptoms to get worse and not the infection itself? By me any infection, even a viral one like a cold, is a nightmare. Right now my daughter has strep, I'm terrified I'm gonna catch it.

If someone can answer about the dental thing though, I'd appreciate it. Are we supposed to be on antibiotics for dental work like someone with MVP?

Ariella