Shaking

gertie

Do any of you shake uncontrollably, teeth chattering, as if you were freezing cold? I have what I call internal shakes often but my hands & arms will not be shaking. With this I'm actually shaking. I've done this ever since having Dys. I wake up in the night occ feeling slightly nauseous, anxiety starts, & then the shaking. I have also done this when I get really stressed. It usually last about an hour before I can get it under control. thanks.

Sounds like an inappropriate release of adrenaline/noradrenaline. Have any of you ever had your blood catecholamines checked? It would be best if you have the blood drawn in the middle of an episode, but for some it's an ongoing issue particularly when they're upright.

From my personal experience (I had a few such episodes during my nightmarish benzodiazepine withdrawal) deep diaphragmatic breathing helps a lot. It takes a while for you to learn to do that properly, but it comes in handy during an episode. Those who master the art of breathing suggest a lot of practice - at least 30 min a day. I learned a lot from a book called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund J Bourne - it has an entire chapter about breathing exercises and how to incorporate them into your daily routine. Also the same book recommends an exercise called progressive muscle relaxation I found it very helpful as well - you can learn a lot about any of these techniques though by searching the web in general, or even older posts on dinet.

I hope this helps,

Alex

This happens to me when I am coming to from being passed out for a length of time. I'm kinda twitchy and shaky as it is, but my friends and I notice it more when I've been unconscious for several minutes, like when I fall and hit something.

Yes, I was having trouble with this symptom Sunday evening/night. I used to get it a lot about 2 years ago, but it had just gone away eventually. I hope this weekend was a fluke and it is not going to be coming back regularly. I've been pretty symptomatic overall lately, so that was just one more symptom on the pile. <_<

YES YES YES

It starts like the chills, sometimes I think "Maybe its just the chills this time" but it lasts longer and get stronger. Sometimes its just an arm or leg others its full body. I am so tired afterwards too. I have talked about it with my doc and he thinks it maybe something my body does in "panic mode" when I might otherwise pass out. or pass out again after already having passed out.

I've gotten a few recorded to show my doc, they are here http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-IxocQFB3xwKAAfTNmNr7Q